Migraines really complicating things

Ive had a sudden onset of migraines. And its making it impossible to do my homework, i literally have to read 150 pages or more a day just to keep up with my classes, but recently ive been getting hit with massive migraines. The more i read, the worse they get.

Ive had my eyes checked, actually yesterday. I have no vision issues, my diet is ok, not perfect, but im getting all my vitamins, exercise for me has been limited, but i still lift and do cardio 3 times a week.

I really need to get this handled. Any suggestions???????

Yeah, when I get them all I can do is sleep too. Luckily, mine usually go away by the time I wake up the next day.

Migraine medication hasn't done anything for me, although I've only tried a couple kinds. Normal, everyday Advil works the best for me (not Advil Migraine).. it's an anti-inflammatory and for some reason it really helps.

Yes, if I were to keep trying to work/read with a migraine, it will get worse and worse until I start to throw up.

FYI, a little trick I learned to ease the pain of really severe ones is to take a shirt and wrap it around the crown of my head, and tie it VERY tightly - you look like a goof, but it helps me.

I am one of those people where medications work for a few months and then they do not work anymore.

If you can sleep is the best cure. Gravol and sleep.

Have you been to a dr to confirm your DX?

I have had migraines for over 20 years, my mom has had them since she was 3 and my son was about 6 when he started to get them. I feel for you.

There are pills from prescription called Rapid Melts which are the absolute savour when it comes to a migraine coming on for me. AND, you can be already in the middle of a migraine and take one and it still WORKS like a beauty. Only problem is they are mega expensive and the doc can only give away so many "free samples". lol.

Too bad you can't have all that reading or some of it put on tape - so you can listen for part of it - no way to do that to some degree?

It does sound like for you maybe part of this is all the strain on your eyes reading which is causing a trigger for your migraines. It does help a lot to know what triggers you and then deal with that, what kind of migraines you are dealing with.

There are pills from prescription called Rapid Melts which are the absolute savour when it comes to a migraine coming on for me. AND, you can be already in the middle of a migraine and take one and it still WORKS like a beauty. Only problem is they are mega expensive and the doc can only give away so many "free samples". lol.

Too bad you can't have all that reading or some of it put on tape - so you can listen for part of it - no way to do that to some degree?

It does sound like for you maybe part of this is all the strain on your eyes reading which is causing a trigger for your migraines. It does help a lot to know what triggers you and then deal with that, what kind of migraines you are dealing with.

They limit the number you can have because too many can cause cardiovascular collapse. The most my dr would give me was SIX in 30 days. He gave my mother 12 and that he said was under duress. Because these medications work on the vascular system of the body you can cause yourself some real harm. As you said too they are outrageously expensive.They did not work for me after a while. I am glad they work for you though!!

They limit the number you can have because too many can cause cardiovascular collapse. The most my dr would give me was SIX in 30 days. He gave my mother 12 and that he said was under duress. Because these medications work on the vascular system of the body you can cause yourself some real harm. As you said too they are outrageously expensive.They did not work for me after a while. I am glad they work for you though!!

So Victoria, are those meds then the "end of the line" as far as migraine medications? What you say is true, they are potent and real serious medicine.

That's horrible though in terms of you folks who get such bad migraines that even THOSE don't work. I remember when I first discovered them, I almost literally cried I was so happy that they worked and so well. Luckily, I don't get migraines often at all anymore. It was my teen years and few years after high school that were really bad.

P.S. Hope you feel better soon, Coldplay!!

So Victoria, are those meds then the "end of the line" as far as migraine medications? What you say is true, they are potent and real serious medicine.

That's horrible though in terms of you folks who get such bad migraines that even THOSE don't work. I remember when I first discovered them, I almost literally cried I was so happy that they worked and so well. Luckily, I don't get migraines often at all anymore. It was my teen years and few years after high school that were really bad.

P.S. Hope you feel better soon, Coldplay!!

As we both know they are pretty serious meds. I think a better way to go is meditation or focusing or biofeed back. Medications that affect a very important system like that is plain scary. Anti inflammatories, yes they are known to work when you take them in tandem with anti pain medications such as codiene. You can take codiene then the next dose would be say Advil,then codiene, then Advil till the attack is gone. I have had almost every opitate based medication there is but I have such a strong constitution for medication it would take enough to stun a bull moose to work on me and then it just makes my body numb but the headache is still there so it is useless to me. My dr told me that sleep is crucial to end the attack. As we all know this is not always possible. Most of the time I just have to focus on something and it helps me avoid the pain till i can sleep.

A little update, i read for two hours, and it returned about an hour in, not the intensity of earlier, but more of a dull grinding sensation.

So im pretty sure it has something to do with reading.

I just got my eyes checked yesterday, 20/20 +1 in my left eye, and 20/25 in my right, so thats not to bad. The print im reading is very small, should i try reading glasses?

thanks for the good information so far!

This may be the most unhelpful post, but 150 pages of reading to keep up with your classes.. are you in something medical? I am, but I don't have to read that much. You need to take breaks. Your eyes become fixed when you're that close to reading small text, it needs to strain to look at those little annoying 8pt New Times Roman. Take a break every hour. Keep on top of your readings, dont' do everyting at the last minute. I get head aches when I have to read 400 pages PLUS for a final exam when I'm cramming!

Yeah, give the reading glasses a try. Or a magnifying thingy.

You might try giving your eyes regular breaks with the reading. Like, 15 mins or half an hour of reading - and a ten minute break, close your eyes, put a nice cool mask on it or something, just an eye and head break no staring at anything and no tv or internet.

My head pounds too if I read too long and too much. The comp is especially bad cause of the lighting but even books.

Maybe your lighting is part contributing too? You might try toying around with that.

Im doing law and government, and im not even in law school yet its scary. I try to break it up, this is the first week ive really got a good handle on it, i started last week on thursday for this coming tuesdays classes, i have around 650 pages to kill for the week total, so the amount isnt that large as long as i dont lose whole days to the headaches.

My lighting is totally insufficient, thank you for pointing that out, ill get on that asap.

Archived