Pregnant (for the first time) in your 40's

shygal2008

Just curious to how many women are in their 40's and pregnant for the first time?

How old were you when you got pregnant and did you do it the ''old fashioned way?'' I know a friend of mine had a baby last year using invetro at 39! They had been trying for many, many years...she had other issues as well health wise.

Did it take a lot longer to get pregnant after 40--as i've been told over the age of 35 it can take a lot longer?

Would love to hear your storeis ladies I'm 41 (good shape & health..still have a strong menstrual cycle monthly) and single still, never married.

I was watching Nancy Grace on tv the other night and she got pregnant with TWINS at 46 (she married late..first & only pregnancy) and she didn't think that was ever possible at her age..she wasn't trying..so it gives me hope!!!!!!

Having a baby is something i've been thinking a lot about lately.

Thank you!!!!!!

This isn't me, but my mum had me when she was 42! From what i've been told and have put together, i dont think it was really planned either. I remember her telling me a story that a lady who lived near who was trying to get pregnant in her early 30's couldn't and here was she at 42 and got it just like that.

I guess each woman is different!

I started trying to get pregnant a few months before my 41st birthday the natural way. All I did differently was make sure I was taking enough folic acid (I simply took my women's one a day, but every day) - it's good to take that for at least a year before conceiving, I've heard, and I paid close attention to my cycle as far as the right time to "try".

We were long distance the entire time we were trying so I am not sure how long it took, but I conceived 15 months after starting to try. We had at least 4-5 months where for various reasons we couldn't try at the right time and it's possible I got it wrong a few months (I did not take my temperature, etc).

I had no miscarriages and I don't think I had any chemical pregnancies but a few times I wasn't sure. When we conceived it definitely was at the right time of the cycle. I am not sure if it took me longer than it would have when I was younger because I'd never been pregnant before (or after). The women in my immediate family all had difficulty conceiving. I had a complication free pregnancy although probably more stressful given my age since there were many additional tests and monitoring which adds to emotional stress. I gave birth at age 42.

I have several friends in their late 30s/early 40s who gave conceived naturally, most for the first pregnancy.

WOW!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS what did you have????

Whats the baby's name..how old is the baby now?

Thanks! We have a boy who is about a year old, give or take (I know some people are comfortable giving more details, I am not).

I am very glad that I made the decision 5 years ago not to have a baby on my own, given what I experienced during pregnancy and in this last year -- and that is even though I had a complication free pregnancy and he is an "easy" baby.

My great-grandmother had my grandmother when she was 45, so it can happen.

My only advice is if you are trying to get pregnant, don't wait too long if you are not conceiving before checking with a doctor. There may be a simple impediment to pregnancy that can be solved easily with medication or minor surgery.

They also say the best way to get pregnant is just sex every other day throughout the whole month rather than trying to time it exactly, especially if you are older and the hormone fluctuations are more variable.

If you have not conceived after 6 months of every other day sex, then you might consider talking to a doctor. People do get pregnant, but odds are much lower so best to find out early if there is anything they can fix quickly.

The odds of birth defects go way up as a woman gets into her 40s.

It's not really fair to the unborn child to expose them to a significant risk of an unhealthy life.

Lots of great kids in orphanages and foster homes that need parents too.

Yes, that is true as far as an increase in birth defects and that is why we got non-invasive tests done during the first and second trimesters and were monitored regularly. My son is perfect and I am sure he is not sorry to be here - that's what he shows us every day!

Many children born of women in their teens also have birth defects and issues because of the risks of that age too. Good thing there are ways now to monitor the risks and get tested even before you conceive.

The two people I know who had children with downs syndrome (genetic defect) had the child in their 20s, so birth defects are no respecter of age.

It is very true that birth defects do go up with age, but there are many many good screening tests that can be performed early on in pregnancy these days to screen out such issues.

So that is not reason enough to not try for a baby in your 40s, if you really want one and especially if you don't have other kids yet.

Wow... I really didn't think it was even possible to get pregnant at forty. To me I would not want to be pregnant when I'm in my forties(again that is me) it just isn't for me. But I commend all those women who had a later start in life and was able to have children easily and naturally in their forties.

I've always wanted to be a somewhat older parent, but my goal is more geared toward late twenties to mid thirties.

Wow... I really didn't think it was even possible to get pregnant at forty. To me I would not want to be pregnant when I'm in my forties(again that is me) it just isn't for me. But I commend all those women who had a later start in life and was able to have children easily and naturally in their forties.

I've always wanted to be a somewhat older parent, but my goal is more geared toward late twenties to mid thirties.

LOL- a woman can get pregnant until she is in menopause. There is a higher risk of miscarriage (I think) and birth defects for women in their 40s but her age is not a barrier. That's great that you know you wouldn't want to be pregnant at 40 - everyone has his or her priorities - for me, I wasn't going to let my age get in the way of fulfilling a lifelong dream of mine unless I was advised medically not to get pregnant (and that could have been because of factors other than age, who knows).

I also knew from watching other people not to take for granted that I'd be able to have children at the time I planned to - so that I should try to get pregnant as soon as I fulfilled what I needed to be happening in order to feel ready - and that was a stable, happy relationship plus reasonable financial stability.

Several of my friends were not able to have children easily or naturally in their 20s and 30s - including my mother! But, again, for some people the timing is much more important than the risk of not being able to have biological children - they're willing to adopt or forego parenthood if they hit a certain age (like 40 in your case) and I always think it's great when people know themselves and their priorities so well when it comes to parenthood - there's certainly lots of pressure out there on women to become mommies!

The odds of birth defects go way up as a woman gets into her 40s.

It's not really fair to the unborn child to expose them to a significant risk of an unhealthy life.

Lots of great kids in orphanages and foster homes that need parents too.

My son has disabilities and he was born when I was 30. Really they can happen at anytime. He is happy and healthy. There was also no way to tell he had disablities in utero.

I have a cousin who is 26 and he has Downs, his mom was 36 when he was born and he was the last of 6. He has had a very good life and he is loved by all who know him.

Disabled people are people too.

Archived