How do you fight off unwanted suicidal thoughts?

xShannyx

For anybody who has experience with this how do you fight them off?? As hard as I try I still have thoughts of just taking a knife and running it accross my throat or taking a whole bottle of some unknown pills(sorry I know that was graphic but that's how I feel most of the time). So you do you do it? I'm proud that I haven't attempted suicide in over a year and I haven't hurt myself in months but I know that one day I'll relapse

I look at it realistically. As in, if I took pills, it wouldn't be a painless death. I would probably just have seizures and choke on my own vomit. Or worse-- I wouldn't die at all and then I'd just be that girl who tried to commit suicide.

Honestly, just the thought of not having a quick, painless death is enough to stamp out any ideas of actually going through with the deed. There is no such thing as a painless death, no matter what Hollywood tries to tell you (though they are trying to become a little more accurate in that regard). I know it's probably bad not to think about my family first, but it's really the foremost fear in my mind.

For anybody who has experience with this how do you fight them off?? As hard as I try I still have thoughts of just taking a knife and running it accross my throat or taking a whole bottle of some unknown pills(sorry I know that was graphic but that's how I feel most of the time). So you do you do it? I'm proud that I haven't attempted suicide in over a year and I haven't hurt myself in months but I know that one day I'll relapse

Hi xShannyx,

I am here for you. Why do you say you know you will relapse? You have been so successful with your prior accomplishments. I am truly confused. Why are you struggling so hard today? Help me better understand.

I felt the same way..... tried, flat lined 3 times, and lived. I never knew why until I watched my daughter become valadictorian and go to college. In her speach, she thanked me, said she loved me, and wouldn't be where she was today without me. I went back to college and became a social worker. Now I help others and my experience give me the empathy I needed. I want to see my girls get married, see my grand babies, love and spoil them. I rescue animals. I would have missed out on all that unconditional love. I met a wonderful man who is my angel. Do I still think of suicide? Almost every day. I gamble and can't stop... and just think, I AM A COUNSELOR! But if I help one person in this world, my life was worth it. I know it's hard... I've been there many times. But do you notice if you rest, take a nap, walk, watch a movie... it lifts just a little bit? Death is final. I don't know you, but I do know that you are a loving, caring person or it wouldn't matter to you what others thought about you. Honey, you have to love you.... for all your goods, quirks, flaws, and stupid things... the funny, smart, giving, etc. person I know that is there. You may not feel you would be missed, but there is someone you will meet in the future and you will change their lives. Talk to a counselor and discuss medications. Insist on getting help. You deserve it!

you dont... it doesnt matter how hard you try to fight off thoughts of suicide you can never win that fight. the only way to stop having thoughts of suicide is to deny them the battle and simply replace the thoughts with something else. go learn how to play an instrument or start reading constantly or play games that require a lot of thought. basically fill your mind so full with other things to think about that thoughts of suicide do not have room to exist.

I use to wake up every day rehearsing my perfect plan to end it all.

Since then I threw myself into jobs that let me express my caregiver skills, not from any sense of altruism, but to get out of the old self-absorption that focused only on Me Me Me.

Change the channel. Do something different if your rut doesn't work for you.

Wherever you're at, you can be elsewhere.

...first, you move out of NYC...just kidding! I really don't know, and, I'd like that answer for myself as well! My thoughts and prayers are with you! I suppose if you accept that those feelings and the depression and the unhappiness must stem from particular sources, then, if you identified those sources, you may have a chance at tackling the source (not, the symptom)???

• 5 years later...

Archived