hi, all... i need help. my best friend has been in an ldr with this guy she met when she was 15, for the entire time they've been dating. they see each other for two continuous months a year (summer break) and some major holidays (aka, three day weekends). come new year, he proposed to her. he's 21, she's a recent 18-year-old. they only play on getting married after she finishes college, but she's attending a uni even further away from him and that'll last four years. previous to this relationship, none of her others worked out cuz after a few months she'd get bored. i like the guy, i don't really know him because he lives far away, but i know he makes her happy, which makes me happy. i think, though, the thing that's kept them together for three years is the distance. like i said, she got bored within a few months with previous boyfriends...

i want to be happy for my bestie, i really do! i won't voice any of my (obvious) concerns about this to her because she's always been headstrong and it will only hurt her feelings and alienate her if i say something. but i just want to know from people more experienced than myself... is there any chance this could work? i hope so, for her sake. i just want her to be happy!

If he makes her happy, and they've been going strong LDR for three years who says they can't make it for another 4 years?

I will caution, though, the my best friend (at the time) was in a similar situation. She met a older guy (about 4-5 years or so older) online and they dated long distance for years. I liked the guy, and he made her happy, but after a year or two it got soooo rocky. It was like they were fine long distance but then they didn't know how to interact with each other when they saw each other for more than a few days at a time. He ended up cheating on her.

Of course I'm not saying this will happen to your friend. If they get along with seeing each other all the time during the summer then it sounds great. You have the right to be concerned as it is usually a very sticky situation. I mean, apart from it being long-distance she is really young to be getting engaged.

But to answer your question, it could work. I hope it does.

Archived