MRSA Infection

Anyone else had this? Had to do the packing strip yourself?

I had one last year and have one again (probably stayed in my system). They are miserable and I don't wish this experience on anyone. Just curious if anyone else has had to deal with it. Misery loves company....

Is this the methicillin-resistant infections you're referring to? I had three in about a year when I was in college (fortunately none since!) The first one had my entire calf red and swollen and required a trip to the hospital with IVs to fix. The other two - including a particularly painful one in my sinus cavity - had me going back to doctors who gave me antibiotics that did not work. The last time I was really mad because I even told them I was sure I knew what it was, and they still sent me home with useless antibiotics and told me it would go away. Of course it didn't and I had to go back in worse shape for them to help me!

I just know that it's resistant to most antibiotics.

I have to re-open the wound every day, pull out the packing strip (ouch), clean it out, then jam more packing strip back in the wound (even more ouch).

Ya, some doctors are terrible. I had the same problem, told my doctor what it was, she refused to do a culture on it, sent me home with antibiotics. Went for a second opinion (just like last time) found out it was MRSA and was told the antibiotics I was given were useless and was shocked my dr didn't test for it, especially seeing I already had it.

I wrote them a nice little email today. Basically explaining why they suck and that they are not longer my provider.

Once you get MRSA you are always going to be prone to getting it. Bactroban is specifically used topically to treat it, it it resistant to penicillins etc but there are other antibiotics that can be used to treat it. Make sure you scrub your hands with hibiscrub before and after treating the wound. And just make sure that any cuts or grazes you get from now on you shud wash thoroughly making sure your hands are really clean before hand and use iodine or something similar that acts as an anticeptic

Archived