Fed up... I never met anyone!

bookaddict

Recently I've felt quite down about being single. I've been single for 3 years ish with one or two men short term inbetween. Nothing lasts and I'm sick of dating. Last year I was too bogged down with work pressures to even think about men this year I've made much more effort dating and joining clubs and groups etc. I've had more dates but I haven't met anyone I've really liked and if I have they have ended it with me. I don't think there is anything wrong with me. I'm attractive, intelligent, funny and most of the time positive!

All the men I've met recently have been a real let down and having had rubbish relationships in the past I don't put up with men who are not committed or not sure. I want a quality relationship or not at all but it seems to be 'not at all' for me at the moment.

I work in a very female dominated area of work and have all female friends, I have a few male friends... all married or 10 years younger. (I'm in my 30's). Men I meet my age usually have kids and are married. Online dating seems to be the only way to meet people and that depresses me!

I don't mind the single life but I'd like to meet someone and everyone else has someone and I find it hard being the only single one. What's more I'm always the only single one! I don't know why men are not interested?! I keep being told I will meet someone but it never happens and it is hard to be positive.... I'm totally fed up.

Well, I'd suggest getting over that feeling of being depressed that online dating is the major option open to you! What's so bad about it? People seem to have this idea that it's better or More Magical to meet someone out in the Real World. Why is that? Once you have met, how you met doesn't make a lick of difference to the relationship.

Give online dating a try, or more of a try if you're just not sure about it. It's worked out very well for me, and I'm not all that good-looking of a guy or all Gerard Butler'ed out or anything. As a lady you can pick and choose if you like or just let the men come to you! The online dating field is more saturated with men, so you'd have a large pool to choose from.

Keep your chin up, whatever you decide to do, in any case. If you feel you are a worthwhile person and are happy with yourself, then it's certainly more bound to happen than if you aren't!

your screenname, 'bookaddict' i think might be part of your problem. i love reading, but it's something solitary you do and you aren't going to meet a lot of men if you are at home reading (unless the pizza guy shows up!) i agree, do online dating. get out there. ask your friends if they know a single guy they want to set you up with. or, i just heard this suggestion on TV yesterday from "The Millionaire Matchmaker," take a book, sit at the bar of a steakhouse around 5 PM, and watch the guys line up to ask you what you are reading! i should try this sometime, lol.

i think you just need to meet men, and keep your chin up!

Love Annie's suggestion! In my 30s I made sure I lived in a major city teeming with singles (same in my 20s). Many of my friends were single like me. I paid far more in rent but it was worth it. I met many men through on line sites -not depressing at all! - through volunteer work, work, through friends and family, and at parties and social events. Often during my 20s and 30s I was in long term relationships but when I wasn't I treated it like a part time job at least - I forced myself many times to go to social events (and made deals with myself that I could leave after 45 minutes as long as I talked to at least three people).

I also am a book lover - I can relate! and I also was (am?) reasonably attractive, intelligent, successful, positive. I too had to kiss many many frogs before meeting my husband (we re-met when we were in our late 30s). I also found a way not to be jaded/bitter - developed a very thick skin and kept an active social life that didn't revolve aroun men/dating. All that helped a lot. Thought I'd share - maybe it will help you too. Hang in there and good luck!

Archived