The Hand Shake From The Opposite Sex

GoneCrazy

Okay not sure if this is the right area for this thread but okay. Anyways i find it really uncomfortable shaking hands and introducing myself to a girl even after i've talked to them before without introducing myself before. ](*,)

So am i the only one ? I know its right and respectful but is it lame and cheesy when it comes to introducing yourself to the opposite sex ? specially someone who you like ? Has anyone been turned off by it ? Is all this just me ?

Thanks Guys.

My bf on our first date, it was actually our first meeting because I met him online completely shook my hand and introduced himself formally. I thought it was odd at the moment not really turned off, I was ready to give him a hug and kiss on the cheek... We are both hispanic and this is our culture. I laugh about it with him now that he shook my hand on our first date. If thats what you like to do, then don't b so down on yourself about it. You are just being polite, not a turn off at all.

I've shook hands with people before, not dates normally but when I'm introduced to people.

I don't know if I'm being odd though but with men I don't really give my hand to shake, I give them my hand in the same position you would if he were going to kiss it. So I normally exchange a squeeze of the hands with someone rather than a full-on shake. It feels more feminine to me!

I think for girls it is a bit weird to shake hands... maybe you could just touch their arm when you say hello, if a hug isn't quite appropriate?

It's a bit formal, but it's not weird. If that's what you're feeling, go with it. However you should make a point of doing that the first time you meet, not after. Doing it after could possibly come accross as awkward. You can eliminate that possibility by saying, "I guess we were never formally introduced, I'm x."

My bf on our first date, it was actually our first meeting because I met him online completely shook my hand and introduced himself formally. I thought it was odd at the moment not really turned off, I was ready to give him a hug and kiss on the cheek... We are both hispanic and this is our culture. I laugh about it with him now that he shook my hand on our first date. If thats what you like to do, then don't b so down on yourself about it. You are just being polite, not a turn off at all.

If i knew the person more like you and your BF i would have gave them a hug for sure, you guys kinda went passed the handshake

I've shook hands with people before, not dates normally but when I'm introduced to people.

I don't know if I'm being odd though but with men I don't really give my hand to shake, I give them my hand in the same position you would if he were going to kiss it. So I normally exchange a squeeze of the hands with someone rather than a full-on shake. It feels more feminine to me!

I think for girls it is a bit weird to shake hands... maybe you could just touch their arm when you say hello, if a hug isn't quite appropriate?

The whole put your hand out an kiss it seems to be a risk to me, i don't if its cause i find it cheesy and corny or cause your kising someone you really don't know.

As for the hugh wouldn't do that unlesss i really knew the person well, when you do something like that your in there space, and if you dont know the person to well it could be an uneasy feel for one of them.

It's a bit formal, but it's not weird. If that's what you're feeling, go with it. However you should make a point of doing that the first time you meet, not after. Doing it after could possibly come accross as awkward. You can eliminate that possibility by saying, "I guess we were never formally introduced, I'm x."

Well with this girl for an ex. i would have said hey, and thats it never that that moment of saying a few words then introduced myself. The last time i saw her she asked for my name after we exchanged a few words, so shoke her hand in a friendly way, to kidna say, well its finally good to meet you.

I know its odd and weird but i hope i'm making somewhat sense

I've never had a problem formally introducing myself to men or women with a handshake. I'm gay, but that shouldn't really mean much.

Do you find handshakes with men to be at all uncomfortable? Some people just don't like these fabricated forms of greeting.

When i shake hands with another guy i have no problem its a firm strong grip, with a women its a light one, don't wanan do it to hard and look like a jerk.

I just don't know i find it weird, i just can't seem to explain it

When i shake hands with another guy i have no problem its a firm strong grip, with a women its a light one, don't wanan do it to hard and look like a jerk.

I just don't know i find it weird, i just can't seem to explain it

I shake hands the same way regardless of gender. A firm handshake isn't going to hurt anyone. If anything else, it shows a lack of respect or gives the impression that that you see women as fragile. They aren't.

I shake hands the same way regardless of gender. A firm handshake isn't going to hurt anyone. If anything else, it shows a lack of respect or gives the impression that that you see women as fragile. They aren't.

Well cause a firm handshake is better then a hard one i dunno how to explain it. I don't wanna do it hard it might give off the wrong sign. Ahhhhh i hate handshake overall should do a howie mendal and do a fist bump lol.

In any formal introduction scenario, whether self-motivated or by a third party, like a business meeting, cocktail affair, even a relatively formal house party like a dinner party, it's pretty normal to shake someone's hand, regardless if you're attracted or not.

If you're hitting on someone in a cold approach, like at a bar or pub, shaking hands is kind of strange.

The whole put your hand out an kiss it seems to be a risk to me, i don't if its cause i find it cheesy and corny or cause your kising someone you really don't know.

Haha I don't actually expect a kiss, it's more of a hand grip though than a shake. Like 'I have acknowledged you, hello'.

In any formal introduction scenario, whether self-motivated or by a third party, like a business meeting, cocktail affair, even a relatively formal house party like a dinner party, it's pretty normal to shake someone's hand, regardless if you're attracted or not.

If you're hitting on someone in a cold approach, like at a bar or pub, shaking hands is kind of strange.

I agree a handshake is a good way to show respect and at the bar it seems abit weird.

What abotu if your at a store you start chatting with someone and mid way through you decide to give your name and ask for theres ? Should you still do a hand shake ? I know it sounds odd.

Haha I don't actually expect a kiss, it's more of a hand grip though than a shake. Like 'I have acknowledged you, hello'.

Well anytime i seen a women out hear hand up fingers down so the back of the palm is facing up would usally mean you would grab it as if you were gonan shake it move in closer and kiss.

Well anytime i seen a women out hear hand up fingers down so the back of the palm is facing up would usally mean you would grab it as if you were gonan shake it move in closer and kiss.

Totally but I don't really go to shake hands myself properly unless in an interview situation, so I normally do it in reaction to someone holding out their hand to me - I don't really shake, just squeeze.

What abotu if your at a store you start chatting with someone and mid way through you decide to give your name and ask for theres ? Should you still do a hand shake ? I know it sounds odd.
If you're already engaged in a casual conversation with a woman, I wouldn't do it. If it's man to man, not that you swing that way, just platonically, I would shake his hand.

Totally but I don't really go to shake hands myself properly unless in an interview situation, so I normally do it in reaction to someone holding out their hand to me - I don't really shake, just squeeze.

Well for me long as you grab hands and look liek you did a shake is fine. My heads gonna blow

If you're already engaged in a casual conversation with a woman, I wouldn't do it. If it's man to man, not that you swing that way, just platonically, I would shake his hand.

Yeah guess it makes sense i kinda feel dum b now the last time i saw a girl and shoke hands ](*,) hope she didn't think nothing of it.

Archived