Loss of motivation to lose weight.

Jd1983

For those of you who is losing weight are trying to lose weight, how do you manage to stay motivated?

In total, I lost about 15 lbs in the last few months, and I'm aiming for another 7 lbs to reach my goal. However, I realized that I'm no longer motivated to do so. I think I reached a plateau or I'm just starting to become lazy. I'm slowly going back to my old eating habits (eating anything and everything along the way) and I barely even exercise anymore.

Sigh, food is definitely my weakness.

How do you guys manage to stay motivated?

Uhhh, my favorite jeans are too tight and I can't afford to buy new ones...

Well congrats on losing the 15 lbs! Now maybe just set some shorter term goals, like lose 2 lbs this week?

Sometimes you do hit a plateau and you just have to have patience. Hang in there!

Maybe try to add in some more exercise??

I know how that feels : [. What was your eating like in general when you were losing the first few pounds? Did you eliminate junk foods completely, or were you still allowing yourself to have something once in a while? Eating something that i like once a week helps to keep me more motivated to continue eating well, because that way i know that i'm not totally depriving myself. Though, i'm not sure if you were already doing something like that.

Uhhh, my favorite jeans are too tight and I can't afford to buy new ones...

Well congrats on losing the 15 lbs! Now maybe just set some shorter term goals, like lose 2 lbs this week?

Sometimes you do hit a plateau and you just have to have patience. Hang in there!

Maybe try to add in some more exercise??

Thanks!

I'm struggling to maintain a pound weight loss a week.

My weakness is definitely food!

I know how that feels. What was your eating like in general when you were losing the first few pounds? Did you eliminate junk foods completely, or were you still allowing yourself to have something once in a while?

Well I slowly stopped drinking soda and replaced it with water. I only drink it now when I'm eating out.

I was pretty much eating lean cuisine all the time and my stomach closed up, but I always allowed myself a cheat day.

I was also more motivated to exercise, but now I'm not. I still try to do my crunches every so often, but that's pretty much it.

Yeah food is my downfall too.

Sometimes when I am "hungry" I fill up on water... which is really good for flushing things out during weight loss...

Make sure you get rid of those temptations in the house.

Also cut out all sugar and high fructose corn syrup in your foods -- be sure to read the labels.

Eat high protein snacks: a few nuts, some cheese, etc.

Also, I buy frozen fruits like strawberries and then run them (frozen) in the blender with half a frozen banana and some skim milk and sometimes some yogurt. Yummy and healthy snack that fills you up...

I was also more motivated to exercise, but now I'm not. I still try to do my crunches every so often, but that's pretty much it.

Schedule exercise with a friend. Even if you really want to blow it off, you tend to stick with it more when someone else is counting on you being there.

And also you could sign up for an exercise class. Then you have a specific time you need to be there...

Yeah food is my downfall too.

Sometimes when I am "hungry" I fill up on water... which is really good for flushing things out during weight loss...

Make sure you get rid of those temptations in the house.

Also cut out all sugar and high fructose corn syrup in your foods -- be sure to read the labels.

Eat high protein snacks: a few nuts, some cheese, etc.

Also, I buy frozen fruits like strawberries and then run them (frozen) in the blender with half a frozen banana and some skim milk and sometimes some yogurt. Yummy and healthy snack that fills you up...

Definitely easier said than done.

I think one of the main reasons I was more motivated to lose weight the first time around was because one of my close friend was getting married and I wanted to make sure I could fit into my dress.

Now that it's over, I don't see anything to look forward to.

I mean I'm not fat by any means, but I'm not completely happy with my weight either.

well first of all be proud of yourself for loosing 15 lbs! that's awesome! Do you have any before or after pictures? Maybe looking at them and seeing how much better you feel both externally and internally now that you've lost some weight.

Also exercise is key, but it has to be doing something you enjoy. For example I hate running, absolutely despise it in fact. But I make myself do the elliptical a couple times a week and recently i've gotten into Ashtanga yoga which i love! I also signed up for tennis lessons and play twice a week now, I look forward to going to them. Finding activities I enjoy is key for me, I hate cardio machines, but I forgot how much I really do like being active. I can't wait for summer to come so I can get back in the water.

Good luck, and congrats on your success so far!

Schedule exercise with a friend. Even if you really want to blow it off, you tend to stick with it more when someone else is counting on you being there.

And also you could sign up for an exercise class. Then you have a specific time you need to be there...

My gym membership is expiring the end of this month and I have no intentions of renewing it. Lol, I renewed it for a whole year and I never went - once. I even had a personal trainer once, but I was pretty much arguing with him half the time.

I was actually surprised I even lost the 15 lbs to begin with because I never thought that it'll be possible.

I'll try with filling up with water again!

Thanks!!!

oh and if you have an iphone there is this cool app called Lose It! You put in your target weight, the date you want to reach it by, and it will tell you how much weight you will need to lose per week,and how many cals you can eat per day. It keeps track of your calories and food choices and exercise too.

I don't know how much it helps, but sometimes i try to remind myself that eating well also makes everything look better- your skin, hair, nails, etc lol.

Also, it's good to make sure that on days when you're wanting to eat healthy, you're getting enough calories. If your body is still wanting more food, sometimes it's possible that you're not actually getting enough. I'm not sure, but i think that can happen for a lot of people. Try to include a good amount of fiber-rich foods to keep you satisfied for longer.

Don't really have any after pictures, but when I meet up with friends they don't even notice that I lost the weight when I mention it. Neither does my family. Apparently I hide the weight well. The only person that notices is my bf, but that's because he sees me naked.

Wow, I'm glad to hear that you're so motivated. I'm hoping when the weather gets better, I can take long walks. I love doing that and it doesn't feel like exercise at all.

What helps me stay motivated is a shirt I brought from Victoria Secret that says one size fits all. I have it on my wall, and eventually want to fit in it one day. Maybe you can buy a sexy outfit a couple sizes smaller to do the same. I also have stickies in my bathroom mirror that say,"everytime you look in the mirror you will be skinner, and also no excuses just results." Everytime I eat I usually just eat in a bra and underwear. I look at myself and am not happy with what I see so it makes it easier to make better choices and helps me when all i eat is chicken, egg whites, veggies, etc. Hope this helps.

What helps me stay motivated is a shirt I brought from Victoria Secret that says one size fits all. I have it on my wall, and eventually want to fit in it one day. Maybe you can buy a sexy outfit a couple sizes smaller to do the same. I also have stickies in my bathroom mirror that say,"everytime you look in the mirror you will be skinner, and also no excuses just results." Everytime I eat I usually just eat in a bra and underwear. I look at myself and am not happy with what I see so it makes it easier to make better choices and helps me when all i eat is chicken, egg whites, veggies, etc. Hope this helps.

Thanks!!!

I hope you fit into that shirt soon.

I will probably try that thought of buying something smaller and see if I can fit into it.. eventually.

It's almost like a mental plateau sometimes, it needs to be constantly fed with new information and anything to keep you motivated. With good motivation information of course

Food is my biggest weakness as well...this weekend I'm going to shop around for a blender and sample some protein shake as I'm honestly feeling like I cook all the time just to take in protein.

Thanks!!!

I hope you fit into that shirt soon.

I know one day I will, thanks. I hope the best in your journey of weightloss. If you ever want any advice let me know. I am a bigger girl and have lost a total of 80lbs, and I still have a long ways to go. It so easy to fall back and be lazy but remember your long term goal and all the work u did to get were you currently are.

I know one day I will, thanks. I hope the best in your journey of weightloss. If you ever want any advice let me know. I am a bigger girl and have lost a total of 80lbs, and I still have a long ways to go. It so easy to fall back and be lazy but remember your long term goal and all the work u did to get were you currently are.

Wow, congrats on the 80lb weight loss. That's quite a huge success.

Thanks again!!

aw that one size fits all makes me kind of mad. You look beautiful, if that is you in your picture, and I think we all need to try to eat healthy and exercise but saying that every woman should be a certain size is just silly. Good luck with your weightloss errrness but know you are beautiful now too!

My motivation right now???? I actually feel good, better than I have in a long long time. That motivates me. My skin looks pretty good, that also motivates me.

I've only lost 7 lbs but I feel sexier, it's probably just because I am excited that I'm actually doing it. I'm will keep it up because I want to be that sexy girl that I used to be.

Archived