I am a fourth year student in my final year of university. I probably had the potential to get a really good grade, but due to all sorts of reasons it hasn't gone smoothly and now I need a good result this year to get a grade worth having and if I don't do well enough not only I will feel like I have wasted the last four years but every job I am applying for will no longer take me. I know I am lucky, I am healthy, I have a loving family and boyfriend and good friends. I just feel so lost. 25% of this year rides on a group project, which when I started in October I was already out of my depth and whilst others have risen to the challenge I haven't even known where to start. My mark for the project rides on what everyone else thinks of how I have done so I cant show them any weakness - which in turn means I get deeper and deeper into trouble. Even if I do the best I can it will not be good enough and if I don't do well on the project it will be very very hard to do well overall. So much rides on this. I just don't know where to go or what to do. All my goals and aspirations are linked to the kind of things I should be doing with this group project, so now I wonder whether I am even doing the right degree, aiming for the right thing, dreaming of the right things. And if I am not... well, then I don't know what I would do - I have had the same dreams since I was 12 years old, I am now 23. I don't want to sound like a spoilt brat, I just....

Well anyway, thanks for reading this, if you have, I just needed to vent...I suppose.

xXx

Ugh you I know how you feel. It's like everything rides on grades......it's disheartening.

But you have to remember that school is only a fraction of the rest of your life. You may get a bad grade and you may need to repeat the course, and you may need to apply for jobs you REALLY want in a year and work someplace that sucks for awhile.

Something similar happened to me. I failed organic chemistry and now I have to re-take it. And now, I have to postpone applying to vet school for a year. It really sucks because I want the rest of my life to start RIGHT now. But I remind myself that it's only one year delay, and when I'm 25 or 30 or 40 it won't matter at all.

You just have to hang in there. Things will get better.

My focus in college was mainly the grades, and not so much the learning. Of course I did learn some stuff, since I knew how to study & pass a test well; I just didn't retain a whole lot of it afterward. I put my GPA on my resume (3.8 on a 4.0 scale) but honestly I don't think it made much of a difference. In 4 months of unemployment, I only ever got 2 interviews!! Having the degree is more important than the grades in the end. If you just put your college on there, I doubt most employers would ask you your GPA anyway. Try to stop focusing on the grades, and focus on learning, a passing grade & finishing your degree.

It sounds like your fellow classmates & group members determine your grade? I think what you need to do most is show that you are putting in effort. I always HATED being in a group where some people slacked off. If you put in your work, even if it's not the best, I'm not nearly as upset as if I thought they were slacking off. Maybe it looks like that's what you're doing because you're just stuck. You don't know where to start, so ASK someone for help!! Maybe consider getting a tutor for some of your classes?

It sounds like you aren't sure if this degree is really what you want. Well, how long until you graduate? A few more months? No sense quitting now. Just finish your degree, even if you never use it. It shows that you can finish things you start. You can do something else once this is done, but if you quit in these last few months, then all that time & money you put into this degree will be wasted. How about seeing a career counselor? I saw one (too late honestly, in my 5th year in college!) It really didn't do much for me, but you never know if they could help you.

What is the degree you are working on now? What are you considering switching to?

Archived