new job, yes or no?

d24

i have a great job. i'm paid well, i have good prospects and job security for life. thing is, I'm bored of it and I don't trust my boss. The things he says and the actions he takes... they don't add up. I can't stand the guy as he's a 'Yes man' but passive-aggressively does things behind your back.

I have an opporunity for a promotion and a decent raise (probably around 8%) if I move jobs and start working for this woman who's got a reputation for being "hard to work with."

I'm tempted to take it because in my company once you have the promotion and the pay rise you've got it for life, so even if I moved jobs within the company at a later date (say 1yr after taking this job if it didn't work out) I'd be way better off because of my grade + position + salary.

still.. this woman is a bit of a witch. i know it's not reputation.

at this stage in my life i'm pretty focused on career, so it seems like an obvious choice... still there's something that makes me wonder, and that worries me.

ideas?

So you're trading one bad boss for another. You never know, you might get along with her ok. I'd say take the raise & the new job; you're not exactly satisfied with the one you have now anyway!! It's career progression; I'm sure you wouldn't work with her for the rest of your career, either. But you probably will be stuck with your current boss for a much longer time to come if you start passing up promotions.

True, and maybe I will get on with her. Plus it's not like I'll be working for her forever.

The progression is what I like, but so many people are saying I shouldn't do it because she's a witch. Makes me wonder though that she's apparently so bad that people are trying to dissuade me from it?

True, and maybe I will get on with her. Plus it's not like I'll be working for her forever.

The progression is what I like, but so many people are saying I shouldn't do it because she's a witch. Makes me wonder though that she's apparently so bad that people are trying to dissuade me from it?

Maybe they are jealous of your promotion? Maybe they heard things about her second hand? You never know who you will get along with. And it's not like you're in love with your current boss, either!

I would ask them to specify what exactly it is about her that is so horrible.

Archived