has anyone here ever been hypnotized?

I've been very curious about it for a while now.. it kind of started when I was doing this 'strictly come dancing' style competition at work and the dance instructor said that I was good but that she thinks I have confidence issues because I always look down and never hold my head up high. She said that she thinks that seeing a hypnotist could make me really confident.

I've always wanted to be more confident and outgoing..do you think a hypnotist could help me? I'd also like help with being able to stand up for myself in confrontational sitiuations instead of bursting into tears.

Has anyone ever been hypnotised or does anyone know much about it? It also sounds a bit scary though, thinking that someone else can control your mind and your behaviour like that..any thoughts?

I'm not sure if the whole post-hypnotic-suggestion thing has any merit. However, I'm the biggest sceptic of just about anything, but I have to admit, I had a hypnosis-like experience with my wife years ago. She basically had me fall semi-asleep and she had complete control over my dream. When I woke up, I didn't know exactly what happened, but I new SOMETHING happened, and it was both very freaky and very awesome. I've tried to get her to do it again so many times, but she says any time she has tried, it hasn't worked.

It's not supposed to be a form of mind control, just a power of suggestion. Supposedly it doesn't work unless the subject is willing. I saw a hypnotist perform in a club one time and it was hilarious! I mean the subjects may have been "plants", but either way it was a riot!

Samantha;

I was raised by a psychologist/hypnotherapist and now my sister is a master hypnotherapist.

I have been under hypnosis many times and have had good experiences with it. I just suggest a trust relationship with the hypnotherapist first.

It is all under your control. They just help you relax and suggest things to your subconscience mind. It's not scary weird or out of your conrol. I actually am doing it guided by (yours truly) every day.

right now my suggestion to my subconscious is based on self- acceptance, love, and gratitude to God.

It is very positive and has many health benefits. Now finding a good practitioner is the difficult part...

Samantha;

I was raised by a psychologist/hypnotherapist and now my sister is a master hypnotherapist.

I have been under hypnosis many times and have had good experiences with it. I just suggest a trust relationship with the hypnotherapist first.

It is all under your control. They just help you relax and suggest things to your subconscience mind. It's not scary weird or out of your conrol. I actually am doing it guided by (yours truly) every day.

right now my suggestion to my subconscious is based on self- acceptance, love, and gratitude to God.

It is very positive and has many health benefits. Now finding a good practitioner is the difficult part...

thanks, good reply. What does it feel like when you're 'put under.' Do you kind of fall asleep? Are you aware of what's going on? A friend of mine at work said that he got hypnotised into coming on to another guy

When I'm put under it's all my doing, all my control, and you're just very relaxed. You aren't supposed to go to sleep but I have been hypnotized to go to sleep. . . it works well for that

About the other guy thing? I have no idea why that would ever happen. I think he's either being untruthful or had a bad experience.

You should never have a suggestion to do anything you don't want to do.

You should always have a helpful positive experience.

It should always be under your complete control...

As for your dancing.... I don't believe you need a hypnotist, I think once you see how good of a dancer you are the confidence boost will be eough for you. I would try recording yourself on video so that you can see whatg you look like to other people. This will have a profound effect on your level of dance, if you're that serious about it.

As for your dancing.... I don't believe you need a hypnotist, I think once you see how good of a dancer you are the confidence boost will be eough for you. I would try recording yourself on video so that you can see whatg you look like to other people. This will have a profound effect on your level of dance, if you're that serious about it.

lol I'm not serious about dance, that was just a light hearted thing we did at work months ago. It's not about dancing, it's about my confidence. People say that my body language shows very low confidence as I don't stand up straight or hold my head up. I'd just like to be a bit more confident and outgoing, and also not cry so easily if someone upsets me.

I worked with a hypnotherapist (not a hypnotist who entertains) to help break a habit. I was not "put under" and was awake and aware the whole time. He used guided relaxation and suggestion based on what I wanted from it, and after talking quite a bit first. It took 3 sessions, plus a CD he made for me to practice with, and I overcame the habit. I also lost the underlying anxiety that triggered the habit. And I'm thrilled about that. A hypnotherapist, in my experience, does not control your mind, but helps you replace unconscious self-defeating thoughts with conscious beneficial thoughts.

I worked with a hypnotherapist (not a hypnotist who entertains) to help break a habit. I was not "put under" and was awake and aware the whole time. He used guided relaxation and suggestion based on what I wanted from it, and after talking quite a bit first. It took 3 sessions, plus a CD he made for me to practice with, and I overcame the habit. I also lost the underlying anxiety that triggered the habit. And I'm thrilled about that. A hypnotherapist, in my experience, does not control your mind, but helps you replace unconscious self-defeating thoughts with conscious beneficial thoughts.

wow I really like the sound of that. I guess it would be difficult though to find a good one..

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed a couple of local hypnothereapists today to find out about prices etc. I'm a bit apprehensive..does anyone know if it can have any adverse effects? I mean it affects your subconscious mind right? seems a bit scary messing with it.. what if it makes me remember things I want to repress or something? Am I being silly?

Your concerns are understandable. I was very nervous also, didn't know what I was getting into, before I did it. However, I have a friend who had had good results for quitting smoking, and she had no problems with unwanted affects.

The hypnotherapist worked with me over the phone, as he wasn't local, but came recommended by another friend.

I have been hypnotized, and the answers that you have already been given on that aspect of your question I agree with, my experience was the same...I think that the question of your confidence can be worked on via other routes as well...I would start with something simple and inexpensive, like reading. We often underestimate the power of the right book at the right time. There are tons of great books out there that focus on building self-confidence, a couple that I like are "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter and "Winning with People" by John Maxwell. You can also search online for Body Language information, I actually recently attended a seminar on Body Language that was spectacular, the speakers name was Casey Combden. Seminars are my next suggestion, most cities have seminars running all the time, and they are often free (of course, everyone is selling something, often the "free" seminars are designed to get you to buy their materials or register for the next course and they are very very good at selling this stuff, so I would recommend if you go you take a limited amount of cash in case there is a book or audio you really want, but do not take a credit card or debit card so that you are not tempted to purchase anything in the heat of the moment!) So if you search online for your city under something like "seminar, building confidence" or something like that you may find something to help you! My last thought is this...in my twenties I suffered from the same issue...I read, listened, studied, eventually found myself in a business where I began coaching others...I discovered that many people have the same issue, and I realized that I had been so worried about myself and my feelings when all I needed to do was focus on others and helping them, and my confidence shot through the roof and I felt great...

I truly hope this helps...

Archived