Re: Paracetamol

Perfect Dark

Any chance we can sticky this thread? As a warning.

Anyone thinking of taking a paracetamol overdose, please do not do this. You wont die from this straight away your liver and organs will shut down one by one and you will be agony for days. Usually if caught in time and you go to hospital then can give you a drip for 24 hrs to reverse the effects of the paracetamol. If left too long it will not work.

So please do not do this!!

My father committed suicide by means of a paracetamol overdose. He'd been staggering around for two days before he told anyone he'd done it and was taken to hospital - and then it took him ten more days to die. His last couple of days were spent in a coma, but before that he was in agony, having really frightening hallucinations and had jaundice.

He had a history of suicide attempts and it was a question of when, rather than if, one of them would carry him off.

But there are people who take paracetamol to 'get back', manipulate or otherwise affect other people, with no real intent of dying - and then find it's too late.

Thanks for putting this up here, Perfect Dark.

My father committed suicide by means of a paracetamol overdose. He'd been staggering around for two days before he told anyone he'd done it and was taken to hospital - and then it took him ten more days to die. His last couple of days were spent in a coma, but before that he was in agony, having really frightening hallucinations and had jaundice.

He had a history of suicide attempts and it was a question of when, rather than if, one of them would carry him off.

But there are people who take paracetamol to 'get back', manipulate or otherwise affect other people, with no real intent of dying - and then find it's too late.

Thanks for putting this up here, Perfect Dark.

No problem, I just want to make people aware. I am sorry that happened to your dad.

I have taken to large paracetamol OD's in the past, it was awful, never again.

Yes, I've seen this on the suicide forum and urged those who had taken them to go to the hospital, but they often say they "feel fine" and think it just hasn't worked. I hope they turn out alright.

For those in the US, paracetamol is acetaminophen ie Tylenol name-brand.

The first time I did it I didn't go to hospital and was ok (apart from puking blood) the second time I was in hospital for 2 days on a drip. It was horrible, especially as the dr's and nurses probably thought I was an attention seeker which made me feel worse. I didn't know the risks of paracetamol. I am so happy that my organs are fine.

The first time I did it I didn't go to hospital and was ok (apart from puking blood) the second time I was in hospital for 2 days on a drip. It was horrible, especially as the dr's and nurses probably thought I was an attention seeker which made me feel worse. I didn't know the risks of paracetamol. I am so happy that my organs are fine.

Wow. I had no idea. I'm glad to hear that you are ok. That sounds really scary. I'm sure the doctors and nurses weren't judging you, at least in my mind they shouldn't have. Even if one DOES make a suicide attempt to get attention, that's not something to deride - it's a desperate plea for attention and that person needs help, not scorn. It's not an easy thing to injure yourself, regardless of what people say, so anyone who does needs help. There's no such thing as "crying wolf" in suicide attempts in my opinion.

Wow. I had no idea. I'm glad to hear that you are ok. That sounds really scary. I'm sure the doctors and nurses weren't judging you, at least in my mind they shouldn't have. Even if one DOES make a suicide attempt to get attention, that's not something to deride - it's a desperate plea for attention and that person needs help, not scorn. It's not an easy thing to injure yourself, regardless of what people say, so anyone who does needs help. There's no such thing as "crying wolf" in suicide attempts in my opinion.

Thanx. I wasn't thinking and just grabbed available pills. I'm a different person since then. Even though I did want to die, the nurse said to me "there is high levels or paracetamol in your blood and we need to counter act the effects" I was so scared, it must have meant deep down I didn't really want to die. A huge wake up call. I just wanted to go to sleep, but that isn't the case with these pills. I can't even take them when I get a head ache through fear.

Yes, I've seen this on the suicide forum and urged those who had taken them to go to the hospital, but they often say they "feel fine" and think it just hasn't worked. I hope they turn out alright.

For those in the US, paracetamol is acetaminophen ie Tylenol name-brand.

It's tylenol??? I didn't know that an OD of tylenol would be so horrible.

It's tylenol??? I didn't know that an OD of tylenol would be so horrible.

Yep, tylenol. I guess what happens is that if you overdose on tylenol, you might feel fine for up to about 24-48 hours afterward, and think that it didn't work, but it affects the liver and pretty much causes it to completely fail and shut down. The problem is that once you start experiencing the effects of liver failure it can be too late to save you --> so if anyone overdoses on tylenol they should go to the hospital right away, not when they begin to feel ill.

Archived