Is it too soon to decide?

coolgirl

Well right now I am taking core cirrculum in college and have a long way to go. I decided that i want to go into either Dental or Pre Med school. I have a couple of quesitons to ask. I live in Houston TX and the Universtiy Of Houston does not offer the Dental School. I called up one of the Schools and told me that after I finish the core cirrculum that i would need to transfer to 4 year college. Which is what i dont understand. Why, would I need to go off to a 4 year college when I'm taking the basics at a college campus? Isn't it the same thing? Also said that for Dental School before entering I would need to take a test. I dont know how this works. i'm planning on getting financial aid for everything. If anyone has gone through this with Pre Med School or Dental school which I"m leaning on towards is there any helpfull website that I can take a look into? And the Universities that they offer in TX? I tried googling them and all I found was Universty of Texas Health Sciense Center Of Houston. If anyone else knows any Universities around this area can u please send me their link? Cuz I know its a long process to get into. Is it to soon trying to apply for fincial aid at the University i want to get into? Or get paper work filled out? Please let me know if anyone has been through this.

Thanks !

I live in Houston TX and the Universtiy Of Houston does not offer the Dental School. I called up one of the Schools and told me that after I finish the core cirrculum that i would need to transfer to 4 year college. Which is what i dont understand. Why, would I need to go off to a 4 year college when I'm taking the basics at a college campus? Isn't it the same thing? Also said that for Dental School before entering I would need to take a test. I dont know how this works. Is it to soon trying to apply for fincial aid at the University i want to get into? Or get paper work filled out?

Ok, so I'm not too experienced in the pre-med or pre-dental stuff but I will try to help you out some considering that I'm currently surrounded by other people who are going into or is currently in the pre-med/pre-dental field.

The school that you called probably wanted you to go to a 4 year university because they wanted you to have more pre-dental experience, which a 4 year university will provide. They probably want more than the basics in order for them to consider you in their program.

As far as the test goes, its probably an entrance exam that is required for you to take for them to consider you into their program. I would imagine that it would be kind of like the SAT, ACT, GRE, etc except that it is for the dental school. I would check to see what kind of test they accept as part of their admissions program. You would usually take the exam, send the scores over to the school and they will consider it as part of their admissions decision.

The financial aid thing, if you are considering dental school this soon (soon as in next fall), no it's not too early to fill out the paperwork. However, it may be too late for you to apply for next fall's dental school class so I would also check the admissions deadline for the dental school that you are interested in attending.

In this type of thing, research is everything so I hope that you research more about this if you aren't already.

And if you have anything else, I will try as best as I can to help you.

It is not the same thing. It all depends on whether the professional school would accept the grades from a community college (which I assume is where you are if they're telling you to transfer to a 4 year university). Many professional schools require you have graduated from a 4 year university and taken the core courses for pre-med there before applying. It's pretty standard for professional schools. Plus, it is better to just finish off your undergrad education at a 4 year university. For dental school you need to take the DAT and for med school the MCAT. You shouldn't be applying for financial aid now. They will let you know by when you need to submit documentation, and which documentation, while your application is pending. However, it seems like you will need to transfer and take core courses like chemistry, biochemistry, etc. before you even apply. Also, don't send any application, test scores, financial aid, etc. until you figure out their procedure, i.e. they may have an online program where you upload everything, certain due dates, etc. If you send it to the wrong place or too early, they might get annoyed and ignore it. Do you not have a counselor to go to?

Edit: Professional schools don't expect you to have experience in that field, i.e. law or dentistry. They just expect you, at least for dental and medical school, to have taken requisite science courses like chemistry, biochemistry, etc.

Also, what do you mean you are taking a core curriculum? In what?

JennBarr thats what I meant the resuiste. You know the basic courses. The basics for Sciense or Biology something like that. Yea, I went to the cousleor today for my degree plan he said I was going the right direction so for now I am going the right way as far as taking what I need to take.

Salica: Do I apply to just to one university or could I apply to other's and see which one I get accepted too?

Of course you can apply to more than one. You must, however, call each one and ask if they accept the credits from whatever community college you're at. If they insist you graduate from an accredited 4 year university, then you will have to do it, period. You're jumping ahead. You first need to make sure the universities you want to attend will accept your courses without going to a 4 year university and second which requisite science classes they require of you. Do this first and do it now.

Your counselor may be right in that you're on the right path by taking science classes. However, and I would suggest you not ignore this, you must find out from the universities you may want to attend for your dental or medical degree what classes THEY want. You could be doing just dandy at the school you're at now, but if that isn't acceptable for the universities, you will be out of luck.

Also, get study guides for the exams. They're extremely difficult.

Yes apply to other universities. You'll have a better chance in attending a dental school. You also would have options about which school you fit the best at. I know it maybe a little bit expensive but it is worth it. I would also advise you not to go overboard on racking up the schools that you are interested in applying to. There would be a lot of time and money wasted in doing this. When applying to a professonal school, about 4 or 5 schools is typically the most one would apply to.

There is no magic or typical number to how many schools one should apply to. What it really depends on is one's grades and score on either the DAT and MCAT. If she gets an amazing score on the test, she can apply anywhere she wants, whereas if she gets a poor score she should try limiting her applications. She can't really know until she takes her exam.

Archived