Can feeling depressed make someone appear a lot more tired?

g84

I don't know if this is a weird question, but i was wondering if feeling depressed can actually make a person appear more tired physically (for example having more pronounced dark circles under the eyes than usual). I've actually been sleeping poorly lately, but in the past it didn't seem to show up on my face this badly : [. I'm also eating pretty healthy.

I look extremely worn out when i look in the mirror, i look kind of sick and i sometimes wonder if it's related to emotions as well, though i don't know if that's kind of far-fetched. thanku for your help.

Depression can definitely make you look more tired. I can usually tell if someone is depressed by their overall appearance and their actions tend to be slower.

I noticed it in one of my co-workers recently. It does really show in one's eyes the most. It's different from just looking tired- it effects a person's aura.

If you've been sleeping poorly that can definitely result in dark circles too. When I had my son I looked like a wretched mess for about 6 months due to depression and very little sleep. All of the concealer in the world couldn't cover it. It was only once I got my sleep back that I started looking (and feeling) more like my usual self.

Depression and insomnia can cause a vicious cycle. You'll feel tired all the time, yet not be able to sleep.

Yea, i've been sleeping poorly for a few weeks. I often have some dark circles present, but they don't stand out this much normally. I usually like to put on a bit of makeup to brighten my face up a bit, but i haven't been trying to cover anything up lately : [. I just feel discouraged as soon as i see what is there.

Yes, depression certainly fatigues the body. I have found that painful emotions take quite a bit of energy to feel and process. Depression manifests as a heaviness of spirit, and the body slows down. Sleep disruption is one of the symptoms of depression, which further adds to the overall tiredness you feel day by day.

I am beginning to understand depression as a kind of prolonged grieving...At least this is my new perspective as of late, given that I am grieving and feeling depressed. When we are grieving, so many bodily processes (sleeping, eating, movement) are affected.

I am sorry you are experiencing all of this......My thoughts are with you..........

^ thanku i appreciate it.

It's like a weird cycle, the more down i feel, the worst i look, and the worst i look, the more down i feel too : [

god i feel you so much.

lately (weeks) i've been feeling so depressed, have been sleeping about 3-4 hours a night, and the moment i wake up and look at myself in the mirror, i look so tired and sick that i feel EVEN WORSE about myself, which just makes my depression worse.

i don't have any advice girl but i know how you feel

x

Archived