Jump to content

I want to quit my job, but I have an application in progress


Recommended Posts

I'm officially done with my job. I literally spend most of my time at work fantasizing about quitting. At this point, the ONLY thing holding me back is the fact that I have an in-house job application--for another position, with the same company--in progress.

 

The thing is, I don't know where I stand in that application process. The job officially closed for applications on Jan. 22 and, in every other instance with this company, I've always gotten a call for an interview within about a week from the closing date.

 

At this point, it's been 11 working days since the job closed, and I haven't heard anything...but I'm sooo tempted to go put in my two week's notice tomorrow, partly because I've half-convinced myself that if they haven't called me for an interview by now, it's because they're not going to.

 

On the other hand, we only have one person working in HR now, since the HR assistant resigned for medical reasons in mid-January. So, in actuality, the reason it might be taking "so long" for them to contact me is because the HR manager is flying solo right now.

 

Ugh. Of course, the solution to this whole issue is to simply ask for an update about the status of my application, BUT I don't want to seem impatient/pushy, since it's only been two work weeks since I applied AND I know the HR manager is working alone.

 

So, what seems like the most inobtrusive way to handle it? I could drop by her office, call her (which seems a bit silly, since her office is right around the corner from mine); or, I could e-mail her.

 

I think I'll opt for the e-mail option, but does it seems too pushy to ask for an update two weeks after the job closed? Or should I wait until next Monday, when it'll have been a full three work weeks since I applied?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Yabba

 

With the current job market, I would not be in any hurry to hand my notice in, unless I had something else lined up that I could walk into.

 

Are you looking for employment elsewhere?

 

With regard to finding out the status of your application, why not just pop in to her office for an informal chat? You can break the ice by telling that you realise that she must be under a lot of pressure what with her assistant leaving and all. It does seem a bit daft to email or call if her office is just around the corner.

 

Oh - and sure - leave it till Monday when it will have been a full 3 weeks.

 

What do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Yabba

 

With the current job market, I would not be in any hurry to hand my notice in, unless I had something else lined up that I could walk into.

 

Are you looking for employment elsewhere?

 

With regard to finding out the status of your application, why not just pop in to her office for an informal chat? You can break the ice by telling that you realise that she must be under a lot of pressure what with her assistant leaving and all. It does seem a bit daft to email or call if her office is just around the corner.

 

Oh - and sure - leave it till Monday when it will have been a full 3 weeks.

 

What do you think?

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

Regarding the other jobs issue, I am looking for other jobs, but not thoroughly at this point, mostly because I've (as usual) been a bit wishy-washy about whether or not I "really" want to quit.

 

As for e-mailing her to ask about the job application, it's a pretty valid option within my workplace environment. In fact, my manager e-mailed me about a week ago, wondering if I'd thought to apply for this position that I just applied for.

 

And, a while back, when I interviewed for a different in-house position, the HR manager called me at my desk to set up the interview date/time. So, it's kinda how we handle things here--not to mention, the HR manager is a bit notorious for disliking interruptions. A quick pop-in to drop off/pick up paperwork is one thing, but randomly stopping by for a "chat" probably wouldn't go over well with her.

 

She's a nice enough lady, but she's clear about the interruptions thing.

 

So, yeah...I'll probably go with an e-mail. I'm not sure about when to ask, though. I'm leaning toward next week, just because I know she handling her work-load single-handed now--and I guess it also gives me more time to put in applications elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No worries!

 

Well if she is notorious for disliking interruptions then I agree - go the email route and yeah - leave it till next week if that is what your gut is telling you.

 

It really won't hurt to get plenty of other applications out there. You don't even have to jump at the first offer you get but it is a great confidence booster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...