How to avoid getting sick after the gym ?

So this must be the 5th time in the past 2 mons were i have gotten sick after being to the gym. I mean i get the runny nose, sore throat, the small things, never the less that still make you tired and feeling like crap.

The problem is when i'm using one of the machines someone has to open the window, so mix in the cold air with my hot sweaty body = me getting sick.

So how do i avoid it ? I can wear a sweater i did that in the past and i got a serious case of chafing.

I doubt it is the open window making you sick. It's probably viruses/bacteria left behind on the machines from other sick people that you are then catching.

You might try wiping down the machine first. Some gyms have disinfecting wipes that you can use. I'd see if they are available. Also be careful what you touch in the locker rooms. Those are breeding grounds for all kinds of nastiness.

I doubt it is the open window making you sick. It's probably viruses/bacteria left behind on the machines from other sick people that you are then catching.

You might try wiping down the machine first. Some gyms have disinfecting wipes that you can use. I'd see if they are available. Also be careful what you touch in the locker rooms. Those are breeding grounds for all kinds of nastiness.

Most people i see whipe the machine down, buy yeah i should whipe the machine down before i use it. But i really do believe in the open windows.

Take Air-Born before or after you go. It really boosts you immune system. Love that stuff. Also use hand sanitizer often while there.

Air born never heared of it.

So this must be the 5th time in the past 2 mons were i have gotten sick after being to the gym. I mean i get the runny nose, sore throat, the small things, never the less that still make you tired and feeling like crap.

The problem is when i'm using one of the machines someone has to open the window, so mix in the cold air with my hot sweaty body = me getting sick.

So how do i avoid it ? I can wear a sweater i did that in the past and i got a serious case of chafing.

You are pushing yourself too hard!

Try Emergen-C, Airborne works just as well but they are expensive. I usually take them before and after going to any public place where many people gather like at the mall, etc.

Also drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, don't eat an hour before workout especially if it's a heavy meal I'd wait at least 1.5~2 hrs.

Don't bother with AirBorne, they've already shown scientifically that it is a placebo. People still deny it but there was that huge lawsuit too.

And like avman mentioned you can't really get sick from mixing the airs. Much like how people are worried about going outside after a shower.

It is the germs and stuff on the equipment that I suspect. Like others have said, wiping them down is your best bet.

You are pushing yourself too hard!

That could be it, but whats kinda the point of going to the gym if you aren't gonna fert a hard workout.

Try Emergen-C, Airborne works just as well but they are expensive. I usually take them before and after going to any public place where many people gather like at the mall, etc.

Also drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, don't eat an hour before workout especially if it's a heavy meal I'd wait at least 1.5~2 hrs.

I normally have like a yogurt and a banana, is that still bad ?

Bring a small towel with you and lay it down any any of the machines you use.

What will me laying the towel down on the machines do ?

Sounds like a pretty dirty place then again any public place especially gym, where children gather like at a mall, daycare...can't be all that clean to begin with. You could always do salt gargle after you get home...regimen that's simple yet quite often ignored.

Just to clarify about Airborn. It does have in it what it claims to have in it, which is mostly vitamins and other supplements. The reasons for the law suits is because of this:

"Airborne has not undergone any testing by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Further, the manufacturer itself makes no actual claims with regard to user health (the claims are all along the lines of "all natural", "dissolves quickly", etc.) Because it is sold as a dietary supplement and not as a drug, current law allows it to be marketed without prior review and approval of testing results that demonstrate that it provides a medical remedy. However, all claims on the label for consumer products have to be truthful and supported by scientific evidence.

I do think that the vitamins and all natural ingredients help colds, even though the FDA hasn't tested it. But to each his own.

Airborne's lawsuit was government/pharma conspiracy many say, it works really well. Just like Emergen-C, it's a preventative maintenance supplement. When my wife and daughter used to go to the Children's Museum often during winter, they would get sick after coming home but after started taking Airborne, they never got sick. We switched to Emergen-C after another woman at the store said it works just as good and they are cheap!

FDA is a joke anyway.

Sounds like a pretty dirty place then again any public place especially gym, where children gather like at a mall, daycare...can't be all that clean to begin with. You could always do salt gargle after you get home...regimen that's simple yet quite often ignored.

Thanks abotu the salt thing.

funny. this used to happen to me too!

1) the germs from other people

2) the mix of your sweat and etc in the air.

3) your immune system. working out makes the body tired, especially if youre not used to it. this effects your immune system. so you being sick is one way of your body saying "dude * * * . im sleepy. so i'll get sick now". or something like that. i totally forgot all that talk from med school....

funny. this used to happen to me too!

1) the germs from other people

2) the mix of your sweat and etc in the air.

3) your immune system. working out makes the body tired, especially if youre not used to it. this effects your immune system. so you being sick is one way of your body saying "dude * * * . im sleepy. so i'll get sick now". or something like that. i totally forgot all that talk from med school....

Stupid body, what pi**es me off is for the alst 2 months i've been doing the gym so my body would get use to it, nice to see it aint ajusting lol thanks for the post.

Eff it sometime today i plan to hit the gym skip out on th cardio but hit the weights the gym pass is going to waste.

I've been going to the gym for 8 years now and I know EXACTLY the steps I take so I don't get sick. If I deviate from a single one I WILL get sick, no doubt about it.

1) NEVER use the water fountains there. This is the biggest one of them all. Don't fill your water bottle with them, bring water from home. Don't even touch or go near those things ever.

2) NEVER touch your face with your hands no matter what until you can wash your hands at home or in the bathroom. Use your shoulder to wipe sweat away or sneeze.

3) Wipe the machines with cleaning spray before and after you use them.

That's pretty much it. The open window probably doesn't do much unless it is -30C like it is here. The water fountains are the worst, never ever use them.

just don't touch your mouth or nose whilst your there and wash your hands asap afterwards
Yup and also, drape a hand towel over your shoulders, so you can wipe off your sweat, with the side that your hands aren't touching.

There's nothing you can do about airborn germs unless you're prepared to wear a surgical mask.

I've been going to the gym for 8 years now and I know EXACTLY the steps I take so I don't get sick. If I deviate from a single one I WILL get sick, no doubt about it.

1) NEVER use the water fountains there. This is the biggest one of them all. Don't fill your water bottle with them, bring water from home. Don't even touch or go near those things ever.

2) NEVER touch your face with your hands no matter what until you can wash your hands at home or in the bathroom. Use your shoulder to wipe sweat away or sneeze.

3) Wipe the machines with cleaning spray before and after you use them.

That's pretty much it. The open window probably doesn't do much unless it is -30C like it is here. The water fountains are the worst, never ever use them.

Good stuff i'll keep that in mind from now on.

Another question cause i would do the elliptical for an hour my shirt would be soked in sweat, after words i would go do some weights should i change and put on a fresh shirt ?

No need to change shirts, unless you will be laying on equipment and leaving it wet for the next person. Changing shirts will only serve to get 2 shirts sweaty.

Yeah i'm just woundering cause of the cool air and a sweaty shirt would make some people sick later on.

Archived