Space in a long distance relationship

Aceism

Space in a long distance relationship has always been iffy for me. In another thread I expressed that I deal with space well when it comes to a local relationship, but the entire dynamic changes with a girl living far away.

Things are fine now between me and my girlfriend, but I'm just curious about issues with space regarding people in healthy LDRs, and people who have suffered a breakup due to an imposition on space.

Communication is important, but is it necessary to have it every day? Several times a day? Every other day? I know everyone is different. But I'd like a broad perspective. For me and my girlfriend, we text several times a day (sometimes almost throughout the whole day and into the night), and occasionally call a few times a week. When she's able to come home, we go on Skype, but that only happens every two or three weeks or so. The thing is, I don't know when I'll be able to visit her, so it's pretty hard on me.

I wonder how some couples are able to go several days or even weeks without communicating with their significant other. I'd just go bananas missing her after a while.

Another question is, should I try to make myself less available to her? Sometimes I wonder if I text her too much and if she's ever going to get tired with me, although it hasn't happened yet for the past half year. I trust and have faith in her, but I dunno. That dreaded question always lingers in the back of my mind.

So what you are talking about is Space and the definition in general.

It really varies from person to person.

Space used as a term where one of the people in the relationship will be going out with someone they find attractive, and may or may not kiss them or more.

But it doesn't matter if they do because space can be looked at by some as a very temporary break up during that time.

Other wise Space is SUPPOSED to mean, time single and not looking to just wind down.

I feel if someone feels they need to use the space card they are not ready for a relationship.

But this is a personal opinion.

So what you are talking about is Space and the definition in general.

It really varies from person to person.

Space used as a term where one of the people in the relationship will be going out with someone they find attractive, and may or may not kiss them or more.

But it doesn't matter if they do because space can be looked at by some as a very temporary break up during that time.

Other wise Space is SUPPOSED to mean, time single and not looking to just wind down.

I feel if someone feels they need to use the space card they are not ready for a relationship.

But this is a personal opinion.

I think what the OP means by space is not really a break up, but just being able to spend time away from each other. Which is a difficult thing to do in an LDR because you want space away from your partner, and yet you're always away from them. It can be a difficult thing to balance.

My ex and I went almost 5 months in a long distance relationship. When we finally hit our grove was when we had pretty understood times to talk to one another. We would talk on my break at work for about 30 min. Then I would call her when I got off work and we would talk for 10 min or so. Then, depending on what we were doing that night, we would always make sure we set aside about 30 min to a hour to talk before we went to sleep. We made always made sure the other person was safe and at home before going to bed.

There would also be texts sent throughout the day and cute emails with pictures. When we got into Skype we would do that for our last conversation. If for whatever reason we had funky schedules and didnt know when to talk, we would always ask either at the end of our previous conversation, or through text message a couple of hours before we actually planned on calling.

Talking every day is ESSENTIAL to making a LDR work. I trusted my girlfriend when it came to cheating, and whatnot. But if we ever went a day without talking, my head would jump to an even worse scenario... her losing interest. Funny enough, both happened within a month of me moving to her city. Awesome, huh?

Archived