my boss keeps post-poning my review.

user83

my current boss as been here about 7months. my review was due jan 2. i mentioned it too him incase he didnt know, and he said he didnt. he then said give him 2 weeks and he would write it up and we will meet. fine. that was mid jan. since then he keeps canceling it and pushing it back. it was set for last fri. but i felt like i was getting pushed around and never went to his office. i seen him an hr later and he asked if i tried to look for him, and i clearly said no "no". he asked, and i then told him the reason is because i really didnt think it was going to happen.

so he said we'll do it when he gets back from vaction. he was out all last week. today he sent me an invite for friday. he said it has to be done because his boss goes on vaction the following week.

natually i dont even care anymore. my boss keeps saying im sorry, i know its your life blah blah blah i have a call etc etc. its been over a month now. not even that but with him canceling all the time hes saying my time isnt important. i almost want to be a and decline the invite. when he asks why ill just say when all 3 of us are around, we'll do it then. its just one of those things. i kept telling him no problem, when ever. he canceled so many times its like who cares. i think he canceled 5 times and then last fri when he never canceled i never showed up thinking it wasnt going to happened so thats 6times!

any ideas?

So he delayed it for a couple weeks, set up a time that he didn't delay it & you didn't show up for it. Now he rescheduled it for you again. So... why don't you just show up?? Maybe he just had a hard time finding the time or finishing your review. After all, he hasn't known you for long. 5 cancellations would be annoying but when he didn't cancel, it should have been obvious of you to show up for it. Now, again, it is set up and he hasn't cancelled it. Go to the review this time!! Just get it over with!

what are the consequences of not having the review or having a bad review? rewards? i'm just wondering why he is so non-chalant about it?

my review=raise. but i would get back paid so i can get my review in 6months from now. i really cant see me getting a bad review. funny thing is 3 months ago this guy started saying to me "we have to do something about your salary" blah blah blah. because i am a little under paid for what i do. he also said he was going to teach me alot more.

when i mentioned it was time for my review, he stopped talking about my salary and i have yet to learn anything that he mentioned before.

so in my eyes this guy is a total b * * * * ter. im confident i am going to get a raise, but im not expecting to get a bump in salary like i should and as he has been teasing. which is fine because the job is laid back.

my review is done. we just need to meet. he had a chance last fri when he seen me later to sit down for 30mins. he had plently of chances to do it before that.

just doesnt give good moral. unless maybe that is what he is going for. i dont know. thats why i never showed last fri. because if he really wanted to, it would of been done by now.

im treating this like a date lol. if someone flakes, twice lets say. i would think most of us would move on. so why should i treat this any differently? dont wanna give me my review? oh well. i still get a pay check every week. just dont expect me to do all that extra work and overtime(salary doesnt get overtime).

i just got done reading another post. and i just want to add that the guy is arite. he always gives me back the overtime i do, recently i took a half day and he never made me put time in for it. etc etc. i just dont get it. i feel like hes disrespecting me by not giving me my review.

im treating this like a date lol. if someone flakes, twice lets say. i would think most of us would move on. so why should i treat this any differently?

Because you don't need the person you date to pay your rent. It may be irritating that he keeps cancelling meetings, but if you've now decided you're not going to bother with things either, that will just make the situation worse, and when the situation deteriorates to the extent that things are seriously affected, it's not your boss who's going to be fired. Just suck it up, go to the meeting when it's next arranged, get it over with, and then you can stop worrying about it.

Just go to the meeting he scheduled. Yeah, it's irritating and inconsiderate of him to cancel five times, but when you had a set time to go, you just skipped out, "assuming" he would cancel. If that was the case, you should've checked in with him that morning to double-check that he was still free, rather than just not showing up.

At this point, the vindictiveness (i.e., ignoring his meeting invite), is only screwing you over in the long-run. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet to get anywhere. So, I say just confirm this new meeting now; check in with him the morning of the meeting--or even the day before--and just get it over with.

yes, i agree with karvala. you can't treat this like a flaky boyfriend because this is your job.

i suggest sending an email to pin him down for a time. instead of saying, 'when are you free for the review?' i would say, "I would like to schedule the review. Which of the following times are best for you: Monday 10 AM, Wednesday 3 PM, Friday 10 AM?" and see what he says.

I'm not sure how it works in your company, but where I work, the person wanting the review uses outlook to check the schedule of the person they want to meet with and when they find a free spot, they send out the invite.

I'm also familiar with 'superiors' stuffing me around and canceling often. Often a combination of genuinely having a hectic schedule, and lack of respect for the person sending the invite.

Whenever I have a boss who is disrespecting my time, and not caring about my career, I start directing my energy where it's likely to pay off. You might not get your review soon like you should, but if you are focussing on doing a good job, and keeping your morale high even when he isn't making it easy, then you'll be in a better position to say you are worthy of a pay rise when the time does come, or if your current job is looking dismal, then you'll be able to better argue your merits to a future employer. Think about what you want him to say if you need to use him as a reference in the future.

Don't let his shoddy attitude bring down your standards. Don't sabotage your own career to punish him. Focus on yourself and your future. When your situation looks dismal, don't fight, but plan your get away plan, improve yourself, make yourself a more potent asset.

The world is full of boss men with ancient attitudes that they are superior and that it's ok to treat their staff poorly. You can't escape them. there's too many of them. Just focus on yourself. You can't change him, but you can empower yourself.

Archived