Anybody have a successful weight lost story

Weight loss all comes down to burning more calories than you're taking in. Seems simple enough, right? The problem is those week moments, when hunger steps in and convinces us that we need that pizza, wings, or chocolate cake (my weaknesses) more than healthier alternatives. We all know that hitting a fast food place is going to be faster and more convenient than taking the time to prepare something better for you, but you can start taking some steps to make things easier for yourself.

First, remember that you don't have to be 100% committed all the time. There are certain hot zone times that you have to be really strong, but if you can get through those, it makes it much easier during the other times. For example, make a list when going to the grocery store and stick to it. No extra chips, ice cream, cookies, etc. If you can make it out of the doors without these extras, you won't have them around the house, and then you won't eat them. Another time is when you're going from place to place. For example, when you're going home from work, it's easy to stop somewhere and grab something quick, but if you can refrain and just make it home, it is very easy not to eat impulsively once you make it home.

Also, you might find some things you really like that are low fat alternatives. Just put in a search for "Low Fat Alternatives" on google and there is a ton of stuff to look at. If you can prepare some of these items ahead of time and have them waiting for you in the fridge, it really helps to not binge on something less healthy.

You might also try chewing gum. I haven't read anything on this, so I'm not sure if there is any scientific basis for this, but when I chew gum, I find that I am less hungry.

Last thing, I know it can be overwhelming, especially with all the douchebags there, but you are going to have to find your way into the gym. Not only will you burn a ton of calories from working out, but also, your body will burn more calories throughout the day if you are working out regularly.

So that's it, good luck! I hope it all works out. Just try to visualize yourself as a tight little hottie running around Germany this summer!

Thanks for the advice =) But if you don't burn more calories then what you take in will you not lose weight at all? I'm asking because a cousin of mine managed to lose 80 lbs and he ate whatever want(he has a rather poor diet) and I basically did the same thing for many months and hardly lost anything..

The only time I have sucessfully lost a lot of weight (and I'm talking like half my body weight in three months) was done unhealthily. When I broke up with my ex I couldn't face the thought of eating a meal without her because the idea of making a meal for one and eating it alone in my room just made me feel like a sad loser. So instead I ate a small bowel of cereal once a day or an apple if I felt faint. I also spent about 3 hours a day in the gym because it took my mind off the pain. I literally went from a size 14-16 to a size eight really quickly, and although I am more like a 12 now, I never went back to the 14-16 size. However, what I did was totally bad and you shouldn't do anything that extreme.

I lost about 25lbs over the course of a year & a half. Not really sure why, because I had always tried to lose weight before & I didn't do anything dramatically different when I started losing the weight. Well, I did start getting the depo shot but most people think that makes you GAIN 30lbs.

I can give you a list of foods that I typically eat now:

Skim milk, coffee, low-fat string cheese, chicken noodle soup, gardenburger fake chicken patties on a low-cal bun with a bit of mayo, almonds (honey roasted!), rosemary triscuits, pasta with green pesto sauce.

I guess that's pretty much my staple diet!! I always hear that you should eat a lot for breakfast, but I really don't. I'll have a couple large cups of coffee, then maybe around 9 or 10am I'll have a couple string cheese sticks with the rosemary triscuits. For lunch I'll have either the Gardenburger chicken (not real meat) or the microwavable chicken noodle soup. For dinner I'll have the pesto pasta.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to repress all of your desires for sweets until one day, then pig out on double the number of calories you should. If I want a dessert, I'll have one. But it's usually not huge. I like those microwavable sara lee 150 calorie cakes with milk!! Or an apple with some caramel dip. I also have ice cream sometimes. I pick out the types with 120 calories or less per serving, and I don't put it in a bowl. I'll just grab a spoon & have a few bites out of the container. They say to put it in a bowl so you don't eat the whole container, but my issue would be the opposite. If I put it all in a bowl, I would probably decide I was satisfied before it was all gone, but I would feel wasteful if I threw it out. Even so, I will still throw it out before I eat when I don't want to.

I still go out to eat & order a pizza sometimes. I think if you set your diet too strict, you will feel guilty on the occasion that you do splurge, and you will think you are going to get fat. But you won't, it's just one meal. And if you can still lose weight while going out to eat occassionally, you will know that that one meal won't make you fat.

The most important thing is to stop eating when you are full, not when the food is gone. And keep things in perspective. When you do go out to a restaurant, look close at those servings. They're huge!! You wouldn't eat that much at home!! When at a restaurant, I usually eat slow & bring home half my plate.

Try not to drink a lot of your calories. I have diet soda occassionally & low-calorie G2 gatorade, unsweetened tea. Fresca is my favorite. I didn't even know it was 0 calories when I first started drinking it. Those calories from drinks will not make you full, they will just add to your calorie count.

Just try to stop thinking of it as a "diet". Buy the healthier foods so the high-calorie stuff isn't sitting there. You will start thinking of it as your regular food, and not your deprivation diet food.

I lost, and managed to keep off 80 pounds for the past 11 years now. No one likes to hear this, but I think it takes a lot of hard work and dedication; especially to keep it off once you lose it.

I have ups and downs with my weight. The worst being five years ago, when I gained back 20 pounds. Fortunately, when I have slip ups like that, I always manage to eventually get back on track. Usually I remind myself that I do not ever want to go back to being that miserable fat person I once was.

Things that I find help:

1. I weigh myself just about everyday. A pound or two up or down is normal for most people. If my weight goes up beyond a few pounds, I start to take action.

2. Exercise. I'm not a fan, but I do it at least 5 to 6 times a week; about an hour to two hours a day. The trick is to find some sort of physical activity that you get some enjoyment out of, or at the very least that you don't find boring. For me that is Bikram yoga. It makes me feel good, and the results I have gotten from it have been amazing.

3. Practicing mindful eating. I have noticed a big difference with my eating habits, when I am more aware of what I am eating, and how I feel before, during, and after a meal. Trying to slow down while I eat, and actually really trying to taste the food, usually leaves me feeling more satisfied, which results in me eating less. There are some great books out there on the subject of mindful eating. If you search on amazon under "mindful eating" or "Intuitive eating" you should be able to find some good ones.

4. I bargain with myself. When I get a sudden craving for something that I know isn't good for me, like donuts or candy bars; I will tell myself to wait before giving into my craving. I may tell myself to wait as little as 3 hours or as long as 3 days depending on how bad the craving is. If after that set amount of time I've told myself to wait, I am still craving whatever I wanted, I will have it; but most of the time this trick works and I either get distracted and forget about my craving, or it just goes away on it's own.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The only time I have sucessfully lost a lot of weight (and I'm talking like half my body weight in three months) was done unhealthily. When I broke up with my ex I couldn't face the thought of eating a meal without her because the idea of making a meal for one and eating it alone in my room just made me feel like a sad loser. So instead I ate a small bowel of cereal once a day or an apple if I felt faint. I also spent about 3 hours a day in the gym because it took my mind off the pain. I literally went from a size 14-16 to a size eight really quickly, and although I am more like a 12 now, I never went back to the 14-16 size. However, what I did was totally bad and you shouldn't do anything that extreme.

Wow I'm very sorry that happened to you =( And don't worry I won't

Back in December 2008 I weighed 20 stone (127kg). I had been overweight since I was 8 years old, I was 24 at this time. I had, for years wished that I could lose the weight and be healthy, but never could with the help of these "slim fast" and "weight watchers" etc schemes. Something just snapped inside me one day and I thought " * * * * this!".

I started training 2 hours a week doing boxing (just the fitness, not the sparring - the fitness is VERY high intensity exercise) and 10 minutes on an excersise bike once a week (which killed me at the time).

I changed my diet to the following and STUCK to it as stricktly as I could. I also started counting calories and weighing out my portions - Which I absolutley SWEAR BY and would entirely reccomend you do.

6am Low fat Yoghurt (Muller Light)

9.30 / 10am Beans, Tomatoes, 1 slice of Toast, Mushrooms, 2 slice of Bacon, Fruit Juice

2pm Rice, Chicken (some sort of sauce, curry / salsa / etc)

5pm Chicken Sandwich (lots of salad)

7.30pm Low calorie snack

4 to 5 months in I upped my training to 4 hours of boxing a week and upped my home training to 3 sets of 10 minutes on my exercise bike "whenever I felt like". It killed me at first, but I kept pushing and pushing and gradually It became a breeze

8 Months in I started jogging with a friend. 2.5 miles up a mountain road (456m elevation) and 2.5 miles back down (usually took is an hour and a half), every Sunday. It killed us, but we never backed down. Gradually, that got easier and we improved our time. Never stopped pushing.

10 months in i now weighed 13 stone 8 pounds (87.6kg) and was teh fittest I had ever been in my life. I could do a set of 10 pullups, blast out 60 pushups with good form, run at pace for an hour non stop and had started dabbling in advanced calisthenics such as planche and L-sit stuff. I could make my pecks dance!! only in my wildest dreams did i imagine doing that!

From the start of every hour of training till the end, I pushed myself HARD, like I had something to lose that I really couldnt afford to lose if I didnt keep pushing! Make sure the sweat is dripping off you and that your breathing heavily

It is now February 2010, 13 or so months into my lifestyle change im holding at 13 stone 8 pounds. I have some loose flabby skin that Im sure would let me drop another stone and a bit if I had surgery, but whatever My fitness is still climbing. I now spend 2 hours boxing and 5 hours at the gym.

I am almost fit enough to pass the Royal Marines Pre-Joining Fitness Test, which is a hell of an acomplishment from where I started 13 months ago. Moreso since I started off with mild athsma that is now non-existant!

Keep pushing yourself, keep driving, keep setting goals for yourself, achieve them then try to smash them, reset your goals so they are bigger and better, get a training buddy, enjoy what you are doing, treat it as a hobby rather than a chore! Because its not a chore!

IMHO its all about the mental attitude. A few years ago, I was trying but thinking "I'll never do this, its not working". And It wasnt working because I was defeating myself with a negative attitude.

If you TRULY want something, you WILL take it for yourself.

I'm now partway through the Recruitment process to become a Fireman and am breezing the fitness tests Never thought I would ever be trying to do this line of work and am thouroughly enjoying myself at this point in my life.

Archived