Wig style suggestions for mid-40's woman with hair loss?

BriarRose

As some of you know, I wish to start dating again now that chemo is over, but as still bald as a cucumber (other than that, I look pretty healthy, actually). I would probably go on-line again. I need a new wig, the one I wear to wig is very conservative and I want a little bit sexier one for dating. I won't have a full head of hair for months.

I love the long, sexy ones, but I think that might look a little silly at my age. Just wanted some suggestions. Perhaps a soft, mid-length one...? Wasn't sure where to put this....

Ladies my age, what is your hairstyle now?

I vote for "bob" too - very stylish and fasionable lately as well as it not being too "wig". You are wise to avoid the long style more suited for someone in their 20s.

I'm 21 and I have a bob!

But seriously, I agree that a bob would look more natural than something really long. It's still nice and stylish too (as I said, I'm 21 and I have my hair like that!)

As for colour I'd say closest to your natural.

Especially for daily life (rather than going out clubbing or something) I think you'd be better off with a wig that frames your face in the most flattering way possible -- the style will depend on your face, neck, etc.

While it's true that older women are generally wise to avoid long "sexy" hairstyles, that's often because their hair itself is no longer suited to be showcased in such a way.

When it comes to a wig ... perhaps this is just a personal bias, but I can't see the point in sporting an artificial mane that's meant to draw attention to itself. Wouldn't that be kind of like buying a bra much larger than your actual size and stuffing it? Chances are it's going to look rather phony anyway but even if you managed to fool and impress most casual observers ... what would you have accomplished in gaining admiration for something that's not really part of you? Whereas a wig that flatters and draws attention to nice features on your face, like your eyes or mouth, or a long, elegant neck puts the main focus back on your real traits. Wouldn't that be better?

Thanks, guys...I agree...something very pretty, but practical and natural looking, and something similar in color and texture to my own hair (brunette, kind of wavy). I think I will keep it no longer than shoulders, as I think that would be more age appropriate.

I'm in the UK so don't know much about the US situation for wigs. However, in the UK lots of charities and 'celebrity' hairdressers have been donating their services to cancer patients wanting a wig. There's a before and after picture here link removed of a lady with a shoulder length brunette hair wig. It looks quite natural.

Archived