Weird housemate experiences

girlie219

I was wondering if anyone else has had any weird housemates. My housemate has been off work for over a year with depression - I know this is not her fault and I do feel sorry for her but she is the most untalkative person to live with. Sometimes she says nothing when you walk into a room and she is generally really antisocial and sits in the living room all the time.

I find it painfully awkward being in the same room as her and she invites another friend round regularly who is as weird if not weirder. The strange thing about this girl is she has no problem talking when it is on her terms - she is fine on the phone when people ring her up.

Has anyone else had any strange housemates?

It's probably excruciating for her to be around people who can leave the house and live a good portion of life outside the thing. She's probably ashamed because she can't hide from you what she's most afraid of--and she knows you think of her as weird.

This isn't a slap to you for the description; you just see what you see, and you interpret accordingly. It's just a possible explanation for why she holds back with you while speaking freely to people who DON'T see her housebound every day.

I had one who wouldn't talk to me, but she would talk to our other roommate. Literally, I would say hello when she came home and she would grunt. Then five minutes the other roommate would come home and she'd turn into chatty Cathy.

At least she warned me when I moved in that she wouldn't be talking to me, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

She would also get upset about things and yell instead of bringing up the topic calmly. I was thrilled when she moved out suddenly (because of something our other roommate did.)

I had a housemate who was a dental student and was a great guy -- until he hit the weekend each week.

Then he was a total paranoid personality.

Once I was doing dishes at one end of the house (lol no dishwasher there) and was stacking them so high in the basket that they started to topple. So I was mumbling to myself (yeah maybe I was the weird roommate there...) that was not going to work.

All of a sudden my crazy roomie started yelling at me from the other end of the house about how I was criticizing him and he was sick and tired of it. Honestly I do not know how he heard me from the other end of the house. And I was criticizing myself, actually.

Well my old roommate started dating him (against my recommendations) and we both figured out that he was a secret drinker on the weekends and he got very abusive with her. She should have listened to me!

Okay I had another one that we figured out was bulimic. She used to steal our food and then throw it up at night. She used to eat tons of popcorn from her hot air popper, and to this day my other roommate cant stand popcorn anymore because of the unpleasant experiences...

Once she stole one of my bananas, and to her credit she always did try to replace the food she took. So she went to the store and came back with a very green banana and placed it into the bunch of very yellow bananas as if I was not going to notice...

I did appreciate the fact that she always replaced the food, but I told her I wanted her to ask first before taking.

She was a total drain on our whole house -- what a relief when she moved out. I wonder if she is still alive...

Archived