Is it too soon for "I love you" after dating two months?

citymouse

Well, earlier this week I was stressing and complaining that my new b/f doesn't call often enough. I did call him on Weds. but I remember he sounded kind of quiet and solemn during the call. So last night I was relieved when we got together and had a great time. Probably the best time yet.

He brought flowers again, we had a romantic Mediterranean takeout dinner at my apt., watched a DVD, lots of snuggling and I feel closer to him than ever. I can feel the intimacy between us is growing, physically and emotionally. For the first half hour or so after he got here, we just held each other.

But then he told me why he was laying low this week and dropped off the radar so to speak -- he was in a nearby city for the day visiting an old friend, and on the way back he was arrested for DUI. This was a first offense. He refused to take the breathalyzer and spent the night in jail! Now he is looking at a suspended license, and just a big mess in general. He is an attorney so he will work it out somehow.

I was supportive and told him I was just glad he wasn't hurt. He said he had been afraid to tell me, was afraid I would get mad or stop seeing him. I said no way, I would be there for him, if he needs a ride, etc.

And then after we talked some more, he said, "I love you." He didn't make a big deal out of it, he just kind of said it naturally and quietly while we were hugging. I told him "I love you too," and I felt really good about it and still do.

The trust between us is growing, but is it too soon for us to be taking things to this step? I can't stop smiling, I am so happy. We have been dating for almost two months. Last night was our eighth date. Most of our dates in recent weeks have been six or eight hours long, so we're spending more time together. We haven't even slept together yet but we are thisclose.... it's probably going to happen next weekend.

I'm just blown away by how well things are going, but at the same time I don't fully trust my instincts and I hope this isn't all just another relationship mirage.

I would love some opinions. Is it healthy/normal/OK to reach the "I love you" stage after approximately two months of dating?

My bf said I love you nine days after we started dating. I told him I like him, that I appreciated it, and I wanted to take things slowly. He took a step back and didn't say it again until he really felt it fully after we were together for four months. Looking back, as you know, love grows. Anything said within the first few months needs to be taken with a grain of salt until you see how well you fit together after a few years.

So, no it's not necessarily too soon, but don't let your heart start planning the wedding either.

If you worry too much you may ruin it.

You are right. I need to stop over-analyzing things. I think I've been doing that a lot lately.

So, no it's not necessarily too soon, but don't let your heart start planning the wedding either.

ROFL

You read my mind!

Last night he said he wants to make my life better. He said he wants us to be together for a long time... I'm trying to take it with a pinch of salt since this is still so early on. It's hard, though!

My ex-gf and I had been officially dating for less than two weeks before we exchanged "I love you's." However, we had met at work and had known each other for a couple of months prior. Then one night, it just came out of my mouth when I wished her a good night. Didn't plan on it, it just happened.

Archived