Spirituality, Manipulation and my Favorite Perfume...

Okay so I've always said I was about as spiritually sensitive as a brick. Respected people at church (I'm not a member) have told me that its not that I don't feel, but I feel too much and run scared. The missus (lifelong member) has taken up this refrain as well. There have been a half dozen times when we have fought ourselves into one of those end-the-night-I-hate-my-fn-life-and-she-hates-hers-too moments and I go grab a smoke. I get back to my lonely space and I get the strongest smell of her perfume.

I once asked her: What's up with the perfume ? What are you trying to tell me ? She's always denied anything to do with it. This happened to me last week as well. We talked about it and she denied it. She told me that she lost her perfume, and showed me the same-smelling powder that I bought her at Christmas, unopened.

I confessed that I'm starting to get a little freaked out over this. I reasoned:

1. She is lying and doing something with the perfume, or

2. I'm having very rare olfactory hallucinations, or

3. Something spiritual is going on.

Last night, same thing happened. Big fight. Grab a smoke & chill out. Come back and the space smells totally like her perfume. Cmon now ... Against all logic, I'm trying to be logical here. I'm wondering what on earth is going on ?

If I'm having spiritual experiences of smell, scenting the spirit you might say, then I'm beyond earthly help. If I'm having olfactory hallucinations then I'm wondering at the focused and limited set of circumstances. If I'm right and simply being lied to, I want to know what is going on...

My love, my light, my eternal freakin nemesis, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ?

maalox

Life isn't just a bowl of cherries. Its two. I'm in the other one.

It sounds as if you want to believe it's spiritual- makes no sense to me, but I don't believe in god. If you're stuffed up, that can cause one to smell things differently. I've done that one before, thinking I can smell nutmeg or something when there is no way that I can be doing so. As for your gf lying, you know the likelihood of that one more than the rest of us.

Take care...

• 4 weeks later...

I have this happen but usually it's the smell of cookies or sulfur. But I think it has something to do with the last time I broke my nose (hit my face pretty hard) doctors don't seem concerned.

I'm not religious so I'm going to say see a doctor if it's really getting to you. It could be that you get used to the smell and so once you leave a room she's been in and re-enter the smell suddenly hits you.

I'm not thinking spiritual but more physical/emotional. My fiance does not wear perfume, and many times when she has been on my mind I can smell "her". I can't explain what I smell but I know it is in my nose and it is reminding me of her. Perhaps after your cooling off you leave the smoke filled air and return to the clean air where she has been and she is on your mind and BAM, her essence hits you and triggers your sense of smelling her perfume. Usually when I have "smelled" her she has been nearby.

I know what you mean. At times I can smell my partner when he is not around. I have a very weird connection with him that I have never ever had with anyone else. I have dated other blokes and never had a connection with anyone like I have with him. It is the very times when I am not really thinking about him that I start smelling him and it reminds me of him.

I also smell the scents of relatives like my aunt who raised me often and generally when something is going on in their life.

Doesn't make much sense I know but I feel you on this. I have often wondered why I experience this as I have not with any of my other mates.

Archived