I think i have thrush :|

If you've never had it before then you should go to your GP which does involve swabbing. But it's not actually that bad, takes a sec and then you never really need to do it again. Otherwise Canesten cream/pill duo will get rid of it and is available over the counter in pharmacies and supermarkets (costs about £5-10). Symptoms are itchiness, redness, sores for me, but I get it quite badly.

Otherwise Canesten cream/pill duo will get rid of it and is available over the counter in pharmacies and supermarkets (costs about £5-10).

Seriously go to your GP first though as it could be something much nastier than thrush and you will have to do something similar to the swabbing in order to apply the cream/pessary anyway - it's really not an ordeal.

It cant hurt to see if the thrush treatment works if you're that worried about going to a doctor.

You can get it from the chemist but you have to ask someone to get it for you because they keep it behind the counter.

Some of them only take about 3 days to work.

If nothings changed after that maybe you should ask to see a female doctor. Just in case its something worse like a sexually transmitted infection for example.

Another thing it could be is bacterial vaginosis. Which is when there are too many bad bacteria compared to the good. I had that once & took me ages to figure out it wasnt thrush.

The problem with treating this blindly is that if it's something else and the symptoms disappear while treating for thrush, you won't know what it really was--and some things don't have any other symptoms. It could be something worse that aggravated a thrush-like condition.

You need to go for a gyn exam every year anyway, so it's not as though self-treatment will spare you from the stirrups for very long. Go get a culture, it's no worse than a pap smear. You'll thank yourself for being smart about this.

Its definitely recommended to hit up the doctor the first time just to make sure.

But yes, you can get Canesten/Monistat at any type of store really. Walmart, supermarket, pharmacies, etc. They are sold just on the shelf and do not need a prescription for them. Atleast not in Canada.

But I would recommend getting swabbed for it first, as bacterial vaginisos can often my confused with a yeast infection.

Here in the States, you can get a test at the pharmacy (near the Monistat and Vagisil) that will tell you if it's bacterial or yeast. If it's bacterial, you need prescription, but yeast can be treated with Monistat or something similar.

Any idea what caused it? Sometimes there doesn't have to be a reason necessarily (some women occasionally get thrush around when they are menstruating because of the change in pH in the vagina), however if it is something specific causing it, you can learn how best to treat it and avoid it.

If my diet's really sugary I get thrush. If my immune system is down (on antibiotics is a common cause) I get thrush. Birth control pills can cause it.

I had recurring thrush for a good 8 months because I was on antibiotics. Canesten and Monistat make me bleed (OW!) and it's expensive if you get thrush a lot, so I use natural methods and it's really effective!!! Here are some suggestions:

-Cut down on ALL sugar (this includes fruit and simple carbs). This was most effective for me. I did a cleanse for 2 weeks and ate no sugar--haven't had an infection since

-Pick up a large bottle of garlic supplements. Garlic kills yeast, and I take garlic supplements by the handful if I feel any itching coming on, or if I feel I've been eating too much sugar. Raw/fresh garlic is best though, just less convenient

-Coconut also kills yeast (pick up some coconut milk or coconut oil to cook with)

-Probiotic supplements are very useful (adds good bacteria to your system which fights overgrowth)

-Vitamins! Even something that simple can boost your immune system longterm. I take anything that helps immune function (like vitamin C and zinc)

Maybe some of that will come in handy. Best case scenario, you will react fine to Canesten, never get thrush again, and not have to worry about anything I just wrote

Archived