Elliptical vs. Treadmill

So I am thinking about buying either an elliptical or treadmill...my parents have an elliptical in their house, and I am used to using that. Plus, I like the feeling of moving my arms with the cardio...feels like more of a workout. However, whenever I would go to a gym, most of the time, I would get on a treadmill...not sure why *I would only do a fast brisk walk, never running due to my asthma*

Which produces a better cardio workout?

It's the same thing.

Cardio = your heart rate. How fast that blood is pumping. Whether you're moving your arms, legs or whatever else you've got attached to you.

Hell, you can save yourself money and run outside. Same cardio.

The up side to the elliptical is that you can have it both ways; if you want to walk, go outside or to a mall or to any solid surface and just walk. If you get an elliptical, you'll make subtle changes in the muscles you use. I'd try to walk (for free!) as much as possible and use the elliptical to switch things up or whenever the weather is bad.

I love the elliptical everytime i'm at the gym i got for on it for an hour burn up to 800-100 cals thats what it says on the machine so it could be more or less i like to think its close to.

It all depends if you like the ellip then go for it. I had athread asking which is better everyone said trad but the ellip was easier.

BenDZ posted the link..thanks.

Does the cold bother you with your asthma? I've had it since 3 and I try to cover my face during winter when I run outside especially. With either machines I would switch it up, there's no 'right machine' as they are machines, the last thing you want to do is be stuck in a routine where you'll plateau quickly.

I personally prefer treadmill, for similar reasons.

I get light-headed really easily, so I prefer the treadmill because I'm in control of speed/incline. Sometimes I use the elliptical if I don't have too much time to work out, since it burns more calories than the treadmill does.

Basically, I feel more of an effect with the elliptical, but if I was going to actually purchase one, I'd probably go with a treadmill.

In my experience, an elliptical gave me a great leg workout (quads especially) but didn't do much in terms of cardio. I can be "pedaling" like a madwoman and barely break a sweat. On the treadmill, on the other hand, my heart is really pumping. I also like running outside and find that a treadmill prepares me for that better than an elliptical.

Some of my friends, however, swear by their ellipticals.

I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference and the kind of exercise that your body is best suited to. The fact that you tend to gravitate towards treadmills at the gym is a telling sign.

Also, ellipticals are great for those with knee problems -- keep that in mind if you're planning on spending a lot of time doing cardio.

I always wonder about the calorie part of it. The elliptical says I burn more, but I get much more tired on a treadmill? I love the elliptical though, plus it comes with 8 or 10 different settings so there's that to think about too, then again you can adjust a treadmill for inclines and all that, so I guess it comes down to preferance and which you think you would use more.

^^ very interesting, I am going to have to start doing reverse more often. It feels harder for me, and it makes my thighs sore pretty fast, but I guess that is a good thing.

Yes! It shapes your body differently that forward, and it really rounds out your use of these muscle groups. You'll feel the work in new places, and it lifts the hell out of your butt!

As for brain function, it causes you to fire off synapses rarely used as you operate in a foreign manner. Start slow, like a baby learning to walk, and you'll be surprised at how well you'll develop new skill over time.

Archived