Does facebook matter?

jennyy

I was wondering if me not having a facebook account would come off as weird to someone I might start talking to. I dont have anyone yet, but I'm really into computers and geeky sort of things, and I just dont know if a guy would be like "OH, why would she not have one?" Then not decide to contact me..

Reason for not having it is because of an ex and wanted to get myself out of the temptation of looking or getting curious.

I don't have it and tbh couldn't care less if a guy thought that. But I do agree that many people do think it's strange for not having it these day. The way I look at it though is that if they really wanted to contact you they'd ask for you email or phone number instead. I'll happily give anyone my email.

There is always the blocking or private option where someones profile can't appear though.

I was wondering if me not having a facebook account would come off as weird to someone I might start talking to. I dont have anyone yet, but I'm really into computers and geeky sort of things, and I just dont know if a guy would be like "OH, why would she not have one?" Then not decide to contact me..

Reason for not having it is because of an ex and wanted to get myself out of the temptation of looking or getting curious.

I'm a geek, I can't stand facebook. Would I care if anyone had one or not, nope. I like my friends enough to catch up with them IRL.

I doubt anyone would consider it a big deal.

No, of course not. Not everyone likes Facebook; I love it, but not everyone feels the same way as me.

The only negative would be that it would be another way for us to communicate, since I use it a lot for networking and communicating with friends. As far as a deal breaker, though, not a big deal.

I love Facebook and it's great if people are on it because it means I get a key into their life and vice versa... helps screen people a bit more in my opinion. But it's no big deal if a guy doesn't have it - I wouldn't judge them for not having it. I'm sure it won't be a problem for most, if not all, people.

Ammy

Not weird at all in my opinion.

I work in IT and I have seen the "dark" side of these social networking websites. Everyone seems to think that just because they make their profile private or that if they delete a picture they are safe. Not true. Everything you put on Facebook more or less becomes their property. And for some creep that wants to track you down, all he needs is a photo and your name, which you openly give to EVERYONE on Facebook, even if your profile is private. It is really scary to me how much personal information people are willing to put online.

This is so sad a girl has to worry she can't survive without Facebook. Don't fall into the trap. Be a rebel.

I work in IT and I have seen the "dark" side of these social networking websites. Everyone seems to think that just because they make their profile private or that if they delete a picture they are safe. Not true. Everything you put on Facebook more or less becomes their property. And for some creep that wants to track you down, all he needs is a photo and your name, which you openly give to EVERYONE on Facebook, even if your profile is private. It is really scary to me how much personal information people are willing to put online.

And don't forget, employers utilize those sites to screen out candidates. Unless your site is specifically tailored towards employers, chances are it will be used against you in an interview.

I don't think it is an issue. I personally like facebook because it helps me keep in touch with my friends who live in other places where it is difficult to contact them and it also helped me when I was in college keep abreast of events that were happening that I wanted to invite people to or to attend that were targeted at large groups of people, not just people that I knew or were friends with. But I've never felt that I needed it to keep in touch with someone I was dating or in a relationship with. There are plenty of other ways to contact that person. A person might think it's unusual that you don't have a facebook account, but I seriously doubt that it would turn someone off.

Archived