Big issues with dad again

X4r

Well, this is pretty much a normal weekend morning except I kind of want to rant about it this time..

Basically, I had plans to go out today with some friends and potentially the gf later as well. I'm woken up around 10, being pretty tired from having a late night last night with my dad coming in and telling me that I'm going with my parents uptown to help them bring some stuff for them, just having been abruptly woken up I wasn't responding with the nicest demeanor.

After telling him that I had plans, didn't want to go, was gonna' go out, he freaks out about my 'attitude' as per usual, this time saying that "He doesn't give a sh**, and that I'm going' I replied with a 'What!?' to which he simply said 'F*** you and slammed the door as he left. I'm pretty used to this kind of crap, but it's sad that I have to live under his temper which goes from 0 - 60 in a split second, with no in between.

Some time later my mom comes in being pretty angry that we're 'arguing' and tells me to go and apologize to him for what I said.. Not wanting to make a situation out of it I go downstairs, attempt to apologize, he simply replies with a 'I don't think that was sincere, do you?' my mom asks him to apologize to me for what he said, he refuses and when asked again he simply said 'Tough sh**'. They then turn it onto me, saying that I didn't have to show attitude, that I had the choice of going or not going and could've said that I didn't want to go.. Completely turning it on me. End of conversation.

I'm still a bit away before I can move out, I have to live here and deal with this crap fairly often which is turning me into quite a cynical person, I know that there probably isn't very much I can do, so I guess this is just a rant, I'm sure some of you have experienced similar situations and maybe have some tips on how to 'deal'?

My best advice to deal with parental confrontation is to say as little as possible and just don't hold a grudge. I know it's easier said than done, but from my experience, anything you say will just add to the aggravation that is already there. And then agree verbally with the parents (even if you think you're right) and just treat them nicely. You may be able to get away with more just by acting nice, even if you disagree with them.

Archived