She said she hates Valentine's Day?

zedtech

So I've recently started dating this girl and she mentioned on a couple occasions that she hates Valentine's Day. Mainly because she said she finds it corny and a cash grab in addition to the typical "you shouldn't need one specific day in the year to show someone how you feel.

With all that said, she's probably expecting a something from me come February 14 no? I feel like I'm being tested w/ the whole thing of "When I said 'Don't get me anything.' I meant get me something stupid!"

Ladies, what do you say?

She sounds like a keeper.

I think you should do something extra nice for her now and not wait till Valentines day. She pretty much said that she prefers spontanaity rather than doing something on Vday because your "suppose" to. So, if you bring her flowers, perhaps a "just because" card and take her out to a nice dinner this weekend or week, Id say your clear as far as Vday.

What do you feel about the day? Does it matter how you feel? What if you like the day, and find it just another opportunity to spend time with the person you care for.

Truthfully, I don't know what you should do.

I have in the past heard girls say this, but thats because they've been let down in the past for such a day, and develop this negative attitude about it to 'protect' themself, when in reality, part of me things they want someone to do something nice for them.

But, not everyone. Some really do believe its corny. But to me, its only corny and a cash grab if thats the ONLY day you do something nice. Otherwise, its a day of love. Celebrate it! Thats my two cents.

Why not get her a cute flower? Something fun, like bright gerber daisies. They aren't sappy or romantic, they are fun. Even explain that "I know you don't like this day..." sort of thing but..

Or do something nice for her the day before, or a few days before. Take her out for dinner then, get her a little something if you want. That way you still did someting nice 'around' the occasion, but she feels like it was done because you felt like it, not because it was Valentines.

Thanks for the replies I kinda feel the same way she does although I like to do something on the actual day.

We've only been dating 3 weeks but a few of the things I've surprised her w/ are chocolates (she's a huge chocoholic), her favorite Starbucks coffee in the morning on her desk before she gets in in the morning (we're co-workers), and dinner at her fave restaurant.

In all my past relationships, I've always tended to do things throughout the year to surprise my gf instead of just waiting for V-Day I've thought about flowers already for the girl I'm dating now, but I'm just a bit cautious because it's still relatively early in our "relationship". I mean, I don't want to come off TOO strong just yet - we haven't even had the "bf/gf" talk yet hehe. We've told each other how much we like each other and we've spent a lot of time together recently. We're not seeing other people either.

Okay. Well maybe you should casualy ask her something like, "I know you don't care for Valentines day, but would you be interested in going to dinner with me that day anyway? If not, another night of your choice?" That way you won't be in the dark when the day comes. Theres really no harm in asking anyway. I would say pass on a gift though.

She sounds like a keeper.

I think you should do something extra nice for her now and not wait till Valentines day. She pretty much said that she prefers spontanaity rather than doing something on Vday because your "suppose" to. So, if you bring her flowers, perhaps a "just because" card and take her out to a nice dinner this weekend or week, Id say your clear as far as Vday.

agreed. i'm one of those girls who hatees that holiday too. my boyfriend has said he wants to do even a little osmething for me, but i really don't care....however, i like anggrace's advice here.

Okay. Well maybe you should casualy ask her something like, "I know you don't care for Valentines day, but would you be interested in going to dinner with me that day anyway? If not, another night of your choice?" That way you won't be in the dark when the day comes. Theres really no harm in asking anyway. I would say pass on a gift though.

Got that covered too This past week I asked if she wanted to have an "Anti-Vday" date/dinner on the 13th lol. She loved the idea and suggested we make dinner together that night.

Since you are both not crazy about the Valentine's Day, why not turn it into an inside joke between the two of you...instead of buying her a Valentine's card, get her some other kind of card (perhaps a card with a cute animal on the front), and write something humorous that makes sport of Valentine's Day. This way, you are, in a roundabout way, acknowledging her on that day, but also acknowledging how you both feel about the commercialization of the day.

Since you are both not crazy about the Valentine's Day, why not turn it into an inside joke between the two of you...instead of buying her a Valentine's card, get her some other kind of card (perhaps a card with a cute animal on the front), and write something humorous that makes sport of Valentine's Day. This way, you are, in a roundabout way, acknowledging her on that day, but also acknowledging how you both feel about the commercialization of the day.

That's a cute idea. Maybe pick up a plastic rose from the gas station to go with it.

But from what you've said, it definitely sounds like your in the clear. Have fun!

Archived