What is absolute minimum you would have to make to have your own little place - ALONE? (NO ROOMATE)

BriarRose

I mean, if you were really unhappy in your living situation but didn't make much money - had a car payment and the usual bills, but weren't "in debt".

How much do you think you could live on in an "average" city (I don't mean someplace like NY or L.A. - I hate big cities, anyways).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're really going to have to give location - it varies so much in the US.

Do you mean buy a place?

I wouldn't care where I live. I prefer cold weather, but I'm flexible. I am in Fla now, and I hate it. And it's very expensive.

No, I have to rent. Could never afford to buy.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a decent-sized one bedroom for $520. This was about 5 years ago. Utilities were pretty cheap. I had to pay electric which was about $30 month, 50 in summer (very humid, so ran the A/C). My apartment building was pretty old (it had a defunct bomb shelter in the basement), so had concrete walls (great for keeping out sound).

If I had to, based on living out in the Midwest, I probably could live on $1200 month (with a little bit being able to be saved up). This is including bills and extraneous expenses and fun money.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a decent-sized one bedroom for $520. This was about 5 years ago. Utilities were pretty cheap. I had to pay electric which was about $30 month, 50 in summer (very humid, so ran the A/C). My apartment building was pretty old (it had a defunct bomb shelter in the basement), so had concrete walls (great for keeping out sound).

If I had to, based on living out in the Midwest, I probably could live on $1200 month (with a little bit being able to be saved up). This is including bills and extraneous expenses and fun money.

It's funny, I actually LOVE Wisconsin and have considered moving there. Well, if you were paying $520 5 years ago, probably about $750 now. I just can't afford that...I could if I had no car payment...

I have a friend in Oklahoma who I think pays 5-600 a month for a very big one-room, it's considered sky-high and luxury by his local friends according to him!

Another friend in middle of nowhere New Mexico who could get a three bedroom house for 600 a month! So apartments are in the 200 range.

Why don't you consider going back to school? There are a bunch of professional training programs that could really boost your earning potential without being too expensive or requiring you to spend a lot of time in school. You could get a more rewarding career and the opportunity to buy your own house. You're definitely not too old to consider doing that - chances are you'll live into your 80s.

I live in my own 1150 sq ft house in a 300000 person city in the mid west and I couldndo it off of 30000 per year if I had no other real debt.

Yeah, I make a little less than that, but I think if I made that - and didn't have that stupid car payment I could do it (in a small town).

at least £1000 per month, and you would probably be living on beans and toast.

when you throw in council tax, tv license, utility's, phone, food, insurance, petrol money. It doesn't leave you with much money to have any fun!!!!

if i could only get a decent job (which are very hard to come by in the UK at the minute) i'd have my own place again in a second.

damn this is an expensive country to live in

I have a friend in Oklahoma who I think pays 5-600 a month for a very big one-room, it's considered sky-high and luxury by his local friends according to him!

Another friend in middle of nowhere New Mexico who could get a three bedroom house for 600 a month! So apartments are in the 200 range.

Why don't you consider going back to school? There are a bunch of professional training programs that could really boost your earning potential without being too expensive or requiring you to spend a lot of time in school. You could get a more rewarding career and the opportunity to buy your own house. You're definitely not too old to consider doing that - chances are you'll live into your 80s.

I work full time days, so unless I could find a program where I could attend a few nights a week and significantly boost my income after graduation, i would do it. I am unaware of such a program where I would make much more than I make now .

It's funny, I actually LOVE Wisconsin and have considered moving there. Well, if you were paying $520 5 years ago, probably about $750 now. I just can't afford that...I could if I had no car payment...

Actually, not really. Prices don't go up there a lot, or not as much as places like CA. You could probably find cheaper places to live in the Midwest (less than $520), then you would have to live out in the boonies or, at least, away from the lake. My rent was somewhat "high" compared to most apartments out there, mainly because I lived right off Lake Michigan (which is comparable to living off the ocean). I lived one street up and could see the marina and boats from my bedroom window.

MissKitty, I lived in Milwaukee, WI. Appleton is a nice area too, clean, spacious and kinda rural from what I remember.

I live in the mid-west...I'd say it's a fairly big city...and you could live here on a 30-35K salary. You can get a 1 bedroom for around $500 if you look and aren't really picky. So as long as your car payment and other debt isn't out of control I'd say any of the smaller mid-west Metro areas are a possibility...like St.. Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Lincoln, Indie....I know I'm forgetting a bunch.

Yup! Take a look at these:

0BR 1BA 558ft fullsize connections Flat Fireplace $430 $0

1BR 1BA 650ft fullsize connections Flat Fireplace $475 $0

1BR 1BA 710ft fullsize connections Flat Fireplace $505 $0

1BR 1BA 786ft fullsize connections Flat Fireplace Den/Study $525 $0

2BR 2BA 900ft fullsize connections Flat Fireplace $600 $0

2BR 2BA 1005ft fullsize connections Flat Fireplace $635 $0

link removed

Ammenties:

Emergency Maintenance

Swimming Pool

Picnic Area

Clubhouse

Fitness Center

Hot Tub/Spa/Jacuzzi

Laundry Rooms

Playground

School Bus Pickup

Shuttle Route

Apt ammenities:

Berber Carpet

Ceiling Fans

Dishwasher

Bar

Wood Floor

Alarm System

Outside Storage

Pantry

Patio

Walkin Closet

If you don't mind me asking, how far away are you from paying off your car? Cause if you are pretty close (aka year or less), you could probably afford a little wiggle room in your budget. Also, look at it this way, moving away from Florida, your auto insurance and registration fees would probably drop too.

Good point - I pay $1200.00 a year and have never had an accident and drive an economy car.

I just bought the car...so 5 years. My old car was going to need major work and I just couldn't see putting thousands of dollars into it. Better to be in a new car if I am going to be paying that.

Archived