Social Anxiety..and overcoming it

fLuiD

Would like to hear about general suggestions for coping/curing this! I have gotten very self conscious about this problem and would like some idea on how to begin to get over it. Of course therapy is an option, but if I can get started with some general tips, it would be great. Recommendations for books as well...

Try to get to the bottom of what exactly makes you fearful and why you feel this way. Of course you're afraid of social situations, but what exactly about them? Having to speak? Eye contact? Knowing that people are looking at you? Then go from there. Ask yourself, What makes me uncomfortable with these things? What is the worst thing that can happen if I speak, if someone glances over at me?, etc.

Staying in the moment can help too. From my experience, anxiety stemmed from being afraid of what may happen, not what was actually happening. Before even exiting the house, the mind is concocting all sorts of doomsday scenarios, which leaves the present moment no where to be seen. link removed may interest you.

I stuggled with this for years. I have am currently taking medication for it, and I find it helps. I was afraid that it would change my personality or make me a zombie, but it justs helps ease my anxiety attacks.

I have also found that forcing myself to go beyond my comfort level helps. At the peak of my anxiety, I began isolating and staying home all weekend. I found that I soon lost what social and coping skills I had and when I did venture out it became harder.

One thing I can recommend NOT to do is to use illegal drugs or alcohol to help. I have a good friend who used to drink way to much at social gatherings to cope with his nerves. He soon lost the abilty to socialize sober and struggled with alcoholism.

I think it depends on how bad your social anxiety is, like is it so bad you don't want to go out, or is it more like getting nervous when in big groups of people?

I always find a reason to not go out. It doesn't help that my only source of social interaction was my ex girlfriend and her friends and acquaintances. My small close circle of friends are gone too... I sit around thinking too much about how I would look if I go somewhere alone that you typically go with in groups. I'm not sure where to go to meet new people either...

Archived