Roommate checking himself into treatment program

hers

My roommate, one of my very best friends, is a former drug addict. He was addicted to meth in his early 20s but was able to quit on his own. He still struggles with addiction and codependency though. He and his boyfriend broke up about 8 months ago since his boyfriend was moving to MN for a PhD program. They still talk, even though his ex (also one of my best friends) is in a relationship now, but my roommate has strong feelings for him still. My roommate has been on a downward spiral the past few months--drinking a lot, eating unhealthy and not taking care of himself (he's a diabetic and being vegan is the only thing that combats the kind he has but he's been off his vegan diet for a while now) and smoking lots of cigarettes. His weight has been fluctuating a lot and he's been acting out sexually--dating guys with boyfriends and such. Just not taking care of himself and I along wiht a few of our friends and his ex have been worried about him. His ex called me last night and told me that the other night, my roommate call him 10 times in the middle of the night the other night sobbing into voicemails and threatening to kill himself. Needless to say, it's getting serious. Also, a few weeks ago, a guy my roommate was getting close with died of heart failure at only 27, so that also set him back.

My roommate went to a therapy appointment this morning for the first time and the therapist went ahead and recommended he check himself into a treatment program here in town for 30 days. My roommate called on it this morning and he's checking in tomorrow for 23 days (the most he could do for leave of absence at work, i think).

It's all so very sudden. I'm home now, waiting for him to get home to work everything out while he's away. His dad will be taking care of all bills while he's gone and I'll take care of the dogs. I've been so worried and so have our other friends, so we're glad he's doing this for himself but it's so sudden and surprising, especially the suicide threats (and according to my roommate, an attempt the other night).

I don't even know what I'm asking for here.

This is a good thing Hers. Addiction can not be handled alone. People who think they have "beat" it alone just transfer addiction to something else,ie people,situations,other drug forms,emotions. This will probably save his life.

i know, and given my experience in 12-step programs, i know all of this will be amazing for him. the thing that has me here is how sudden it all is...how one day i have him here and the next day i won't.

i know, and given my experience in 12-step programs, i know all of this will be amazing for him. the thing that has me here is how sudden it all is...how one day i have him here and the next day i won't.

It will be strange for you too, I know. I know you will be supportive of him too. I know you will be a good friend to him.

he's one of my best friends. two days before i was supposed to move to orlando, i called him and told him i don't want to go there and if i coudl move home and stay with him. he just simply said, of course, and 2 days later i was here. then he was with me as leeluu died. he's been an amazing friend.

he's one of my best friends. two days before i was supposed to move to orlando, i called him and told him i don't want to go there and if i coudl move home and stay with him. he just simply said, of course, and 2 days later i was here. then he was with me as leeluu died. he's been an amazing friend.

I know you are hurting to see him in such pain,but this is really good for him. Obviously he has a lot to work through and it takes sometimes inhouse professional treatment.

i've also never known anyone to go through a treatment program. the alcoholics in my family have either gone to AA or jail and that's the only thing that's ever worked (not that jail made my uncle stop drinking for good). i dont know what to expect. i'm hoping i'll at least get to visit him when he's gone but i dont know if visitation is reserved only for immediate family.

i've also never known anyone to go through a treatment program. the alcoholics in my family have either gone to AA or jail and that's the only thing that's ever worked (not that jail made my uncle stop drinking for good). i dont know what to expect. i'm hoping i'll at least get to visit him when he's gone but i dont know if visitation is reserved only for immediate family.

I think if his treatment is that short he might not but I could be wrong. I guess you could call the facility and find out.

I think they like them to work on their issues rather intensively and not be distracted by other things.

Archived