Test results show ADHD

doityourself

Well....

My son has been diagnosed ADHD, the attentative type. Im still taking it all in, the results. Medicine is recommended but Im still on board with letting my son decide if he wants to try it or not.

WE all sat down last night and talked it over, my husband is against meds, he said "Now that you know you have it you can focus on what your doing wrong and correct it" I was like WHAT, I dont think he understand what ADHD is. The doc gave us a ton to read over so I hope my husband reads it.

My son said he wants to give meds a try. So we are going to try the VyVanse. Im worried about all the side affect but since my son cant swallow pills it limits out options.

Has anyone had any bad side affects, he is recommending the losest dosage, which I believe is 18mg.

Is it true that he will feel effects within an hour, that he will know whether he likes it or not?

Im still in the freaking out stage of it all. Just trying to come to terms with it. Everything is running through my head, does my son really understand at 10 whats going on, he just had a glazed over look when the doc was talking to us. Am I doing the right thing introducing my son to prescription drugs with the history of abuse in my family? Will he need to see a doc on a regular basis, how will I take more time off of work. How much is the monthly visits and the meds going to cost?

Hi. Before you make any major decisions about medication, I think you should do a ton of research about this.

First, how much does the ADHD impair his ability to learn? What can his teachers do to adapt the curriculum that will help him?

2 common approaches that are often used with and without medication are:

Sensory Diet link removed

and Behavior Management link removed

I would also suggest talking to a nurtritionist because some children have ADHD that is worsened by certain foods. You want to be sure that he avoids sugar and gets enough physcial exercise. link removed

If he is in a public school system in the U.S., the school must provide reasonable accomodations for his disability under Section 504 of the law. He can have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) which will include excatly what accomodations are to be made and you should be an integral part of helping to make that plan with the school, and also seeing that it is adhered to. He should be eligible to work with special educators, occupational therapists, etc to help him reach his highest potential. Don't let the school system tell you that your only option is to medicate him. There is a lot they need to be doing too- regardless of whether or not he ends up taking medication.

ADHD is a contrived disorder. Don't stunt your son's creativity, by buying into this garbage. Ritalin, concerta, adderall, vyvanse are all terrible for the body. They're amphetamines, chemically, very similar to cocaine and meth, with very similar effects. In college, many people use the these prescription drugs to pull all nighters and study because they keep you up. Let me reiterate, they are all terrible for your body.

Thanks all,

We have a appt with our family doc in a month to talk about meds and things of that nature. So I have a little time to reasearch and come up with questions and concerns.

Thanks Bella, I do want to look into what ever options there are without medicating first.

I feel we have a long road ahead which ever road we choose. I just want the best as all parents do for thier children. I dont want to see him struggle and miss out on any oppurtunities that may be available for him.

I would get your son and IEP and an EA. That has helped my son a lot. Do not let your husband make your son think he is "wrong" "or doing something "wrong" and that it is all going to be fixed because there is a DX. These kids think different. It is NOT wrong. They have to learn a different way that IS ALL. Telling him he is wrong will mash his self esteem. I am wary of drugs and they work differently with every person. My son is on his FOURTH medication. Also too with some of these medications you need to have liver function tests, consults with a ped to make sure they are still growing etc. Some cause lack of appetite. Many have warnings for heart attack and stroke. They are also controlled substances at least in my country.I would REALLY encourage you to get an IEP for your son.

We were forced by social services to put my son on medication for ADHD, he recently committed suicide. I honestly think the medication has something to do with it. He was 14 years old. Diagnosed at age 7 with ADHD.

I am so sorry!! This is a shame and i definitely believe that doctors are way to quick to prescribe meds. They would rather seek out a "quick-fix" than take the time to cater to the childs individual case holistically.

How do I go about requesting IEP, is it done through the school system?

I am not sure how it is done there. I think avman knows though. My son was set up with all these things via his school, Sometimes he has has to wait for a grant for the technology he needs and also for another student to no longer need it. I would ask avman if he knows how it is done in the US cause I am Canadian. Here we got a ped's DX and independent testing from the board by a social psycholoanaylst who did 4 days of tests with him to determine his needs,his abilities and lack there of. They also paid for hearing and hearing processing testing and function tests for his hands. He has had an IEP since grd 2 and his own assistant. Now he gets all A's and B's.

Did you say your son has the attention variation? So ADD? My son has the hyperactive component as well.

Really, all your son needs is help to seeing the way "most" people learn. The school system unfortunately is only set up for ONE kind of learner and everyone else is consider "abonormal", such crap.If I could pay for a private school I would do that. Make the best of this stuation. Be an advocate for your son, he needs you more than anything. Uphold his rights. It is a big fight,but you have to.Uphold his self esteem, these kids get bashed enough out in the world. If he has good esteem when he is little he will be able to take on the world with his head up.

We were forced by social services to put my son on medication for ADHD, he recently committed suicide. I honestly think the medication has something to do with it. He was 14 years old. Diagnosed at age 7 with ADHD.

These medications,yes also have the possibility of causing depression later in life.

This concerns me also because my father,his mother and one sister have bipolar disorder.

ADHD is a contrived disorder. Don't stunt your son's creativity, by buying into this garbage. Ritalin, concerta, adderall, vyvanse are all terrible for the body. They're amphetamines, chemically, very similar to cocaine and meth, with very similar effects. In college, many people use the these prescription drugs to pull all nighters and study because they keep you up. Let me reiterate, they are all terrible for your body.

This is true,however here they can refuse to educate you without being medicated. I was told my son would have NO opportunity for education without medication.

This is true,however here they can refuse to educate you without being medicated. I was told my son would have NO opportunity for education without medication.

^That is so illegal.

How do I go about requesting IEP, is it done through the school system?

Now that you have a formal evaluation of your son you should be able to request it through his school. It depends on the school, but in most cases the school psychologist or the special education director will be the first point of contact for you to pursue this. These sites should help you out link removed

link removed

I just want to let you know that I know several successful college graduates who have ADD and ADHD. Please don't let this bring you down. Your son is still the boy that you know and love. This formal diagnosis does not change that. Hopefully by working with the school as a team you will now know what works best for him as far as effective learning. He may need some one-on-one attention through resource tutoring to help him break down his assignments into smaller segments. Those sort of things are what go into an IEP.

There is no reason why he can't be fully included with his peers and achieve the same standards that they do. He just may need the material delivered to him in a different manner and his teachers will need to adapt their instruction accordinly. On your end at home, you and your husband can help keep him on task and be sure that his environment is structured and organized. Something as simple as a homework checklist can be built into his IEP.

It is actually not. My son in JK and SK was a BIG discipline case. I was called in a min of 24 times in 2 years to take him home because he had destroyed the classroom and had the kids cowering in the corner. His social abilities were not to the point where he could control himself. He has been scored consistantly 3 years behind in social ability compaired with his chronological age. Plus at the time his speech could not be understood by people other than me so he was very frustrated until he went to speech therapy. (he could not speak properly because of his hearing processing issue that was not DX until he was 9.) He also has ODD which makes him pretty defiant at times. So, he was labled a "discipline case" and THAT made him available for expulsion. So even though he has not had an outburst at school in almost 4 years they still keep on his IEP that he is a "discipline" issue so they can keep him medicated.link removed (he was labelled under safety of the other students. Which I felt was RIDICULOUS for a 3 year old,but try fighting that.

I wanted to have the discipline category erased from his IEP and just leave his disabilities category. I might have been successful this year before we move had he not pulled the thing he did about the science fair. Not doing your work is part of discipline category. It is hard to fight a school and a school board and sometimes you have to relent cause who else is going to educate uour kid? I personally do not have $25,000 a year to send him to a school he would need to go to.

Thank you everyone for all advice and concerns, will def look into all information given.

Jetta that Im so sorry for what happened to your son. What a horrible thing for any parent to have to go through. Was he depressed and sucicidial before the meds?

My son is no way defiant or aggressive in any way. He has gotten in trouble last couple of years a total of 3 times for fighting and thats just because there is a bullying issue at our school. (and I dont believe my son should be thier punching bag)

He has also had no social issues, hes popular and has many of friends. His issue comes from not be able to pay attention.

My problems with meds are

heart (both sides)

high blood pressure (both sides)

pysclogical issues (my side)

depression (my side)

anxiety (my side)

sucidial issues (my side)

Im scared that I will create more issues than help. My son is a C average student, but could be an A student if he could remember to turn in his work on time or the right place. So do I let it slide to see if he will grow out of it or do I push it now when this would be the best time to structure this new life for him.

Im also scared that it will cause sleeping and eating issue, my son only weighs a normal 80 pounds for a 10 year old. He plays football and is active in summer, would I be putting him at more physical risk with these meds?

There is so much running through my head right now, but wanted to update you on my thoughts.

Archived