I get a thought in my head and my head runs with it

Diggitydave

So how do i explain this. This type of stuff often revolves around stuff that hurts me, people hurting me, lies, etc.

So lets say someone is acting different around me. I would automatically think that someone told them something about me that wasn't true and I imagine this whole conversation that took place and it FEELS SO REAL, as if it really happened, even though i have no proof. The persons attitude might have nothing to do with me.

For some reason once i get a negative thought about someone or some thing i always imagine these scenarios of why it is and it for some reason becomes truthful.

I don't get it, it's weird like, i automatically believe whatever direction my brain goes in without proof and i get all worked up over what is normally nothing.

Any thoughts?

I also do that, I use to work with this lady that would come into work in a bad mood, and I always assumed that I said something or did something to hurt her.

Now I just realize it wasnt me it was her, she wasnt able to express her feelings or keep them in the proper place at the proper time.

I did Cognitive Behaviour Therapy that tried to get me out of these negative cycles. It's a bit hit and miss because they're difficult to snap out of, but the best you can do is try to notice the point that you start to enter one and get out of it, or find a distraction before you can give it any thought.

They usually start with an assumption, such as this person is behaving different, it must be because of something I did. This is where you try to distract yourself, maybe they had a bad day... try and get your train of thought to go down this route of something bad happening to them in the morning, maybe they slept in and had to rush to get ready... and just try and stick to that train of thought.

Thank you for your replies. It is tough, especially when someone acts differently all of the sudden. I have this tendency to blame myself and then try to modify my own behavior.

I am also very sensitive and have trouble taking jokes. So when someone makes a joke that could be construed negatively, i always associate it with the negative thought pattern and say "see, you were right".

During this whole time I am anxious , depressed, and so heavily focused on waiting to see if this 'other' person is mad at me, unimpressed, or any other variation of something negative; even going as far as thinking they have conversations with other people about one of these negative feelings towards me.

The kicker is there is a possibility that none of this is true and i try very hard to not act on feelings i have based on not a lot of evidence.

Archived