Birth control costs in relationships

hers

I have always paid for everything 100 percent but that's because I'm the type of woman who likes to pay for herself. Even supported my ex financially, paid his bills, meals, let him live with me rent free. At the time, I was also making 10x the amount he was making. My income is high enough where I don't have to worry about small things like splitting the birth control bill in half. It's not even worth talking about. I can take care of myself. I am very independent.

If you make a good income, things like paying for condoms/birth control shouldn't be an issue. When I was with my ex I would pay for all the condoms too. I actually like paying. I am not destitute financially where I need a man to pitch in or split half for things that are so affordable that it should not even be an issue.

If we're talking about the price of a house that is 500k and we are living together and yes, we should split. But for small things that are $30, $50 or even $100 etc, it's not an issue for me. I don't have to watch every penny...

my insurance covers most of it, i think i only pay $15 so it's not a huge issue for me. But i really haven't ever thought about it that way. I guess I was on it before him and use it for other things, like keeping my period regular, so it isn't just for birth control. This is interesting though, I haven't ever thought about it, but it makes sense that a couple should go in on it together.

Yes mandy, the gesture to me just says so much about my boyfriend. I'm not nickel and diming him with it. It just amazed me that he even offered, as I never had any other guy offer before.

It's really nice that he offered.

And I completely agree that it has nothing to do with money. It doesn't put me back that far for birth control.

But the fact that he doesn't see this as 'your issue' or 'your job' is really quite nice and endearing. It's such a small gestures yet it means a lot. Responsibility for both of us!

it hasn't really crossed my mind, because I usually went to the doctor by myself so i ended up paying for it. I've also never had anything really costly, just pills and patches. but that was cool of him to say it's also partly his responsibility. Makes me think he also thinks this way in other aspects of the relationship, and that is a very good thing.

• 1 month later...

Archived