Birth control costs in relationships

hers

For those of you in a long-term or committed relationship, how do you handle birth control costs? I'm not talking condoms, but I'm referring to the pill or something more expensive like an IUD or implant when you don't have insurance that pays for it.

In my past relationships, I always paid for my own but I always felt it should be partly the responsibility of the guy too since it was for both our benefit. I never pushed it b/c I never knew if I was in the right to request that. I've never had a guy offer, either.

I told my boyfriend recently that my current BC method Implanon expires in August this year so I need to look into something else. He said we'll start saving for it. I said "We?" and he said "yeah, i figure it's partly my responsibility too." I was so taken aback. I've never heard of a guy thinking it was half his too! That's how I know I have a good one though

Just curious what others' thoughts are in this matter, not really asking advice

When I was on the pill, I paid for it mostly in the beginning. As years went by, he covered it quite often when it had to be refilled every three months.

When condoms were needed cause the pill was ineffective due to antibitiocs or whatever else, he always got.

Now, we're just relying on condoms. We live together, so it generally gets purchased with groceries!

So offering just "half" is half-a**, but of course it's better than nothing at all.

I disagree that it's half-assed. Two people having sex, two people should pay. It shouldn't be one person's responsibility at all.

Luckily, I am in a position where my insurance covers my BC.

However, if this was not the case, my guy would split the cost with me. Actually he usually buys the condoms anyway, although I would help out with the cost of that if he asked.

I think most guys don't realize it can be expensive without health insurance. I think if the girl needs a little extra help paying for the BC in a committed relationship, she should be the one to bring up the cost and ask for some financial help. Otherwise, why would he assume there's a problem?

I swear in the UK it's free, at least the pill is, I mean I pay for all other medication except the pill and I have no medical reason to need it...I just don't want to get pregnant!

If we had to pay then I'd make my boyfriend pay half

Yeah in the UK prescriptions are free if you're under 18, over 65, or its contraceptives.

I have never paid for mine. I go to the local health department. I'll suffer through a flu because of not having medical insurance but I'm not letting that pill lapse.

I can honestly say I have never heard of a guy paying for the pill. I always assumed it was the woman's job, although I can see why some would think the man should at least go half...

It seems automatically reasonable that women pay for pills and men pay for condoms, but it also depends on the income of you two. It'll be a nice gesture if he offers to pay for your pill once a while. but maybe you should look at it more broadly, does he take you out to dinner some time or help you out with some manual things, etc.

I paid for my pills ($6/month), and I also bought the condoms myself, because I would get them in large quantities at the health center when I got my annual exam or other doctor's appointments. It was never enough money that I felt I wanted him to contribute, but I think I also took it upon myself to make sure there were always condoms available, etc, because I was the one who cared the most about preventing pregnancy, or was the most "paranoid".

When he had to get an STD test, at my request, I paid for part of it because it was quite expensive and I knew it was a bit of stretch for him money-wise. That probably wasn't my responsibility, but I didn't want him to be too strapped for money.

To be honest, the birth control pill is something I would be on regardless of my sexual activity status, so I would never see it as something my boyfriend should contribute to. If I were getting an IUD in a relationship for example (not a marriage, just bf/gf), I wouldn't expect him to contribute because I'm getting it for MYSELF, not for "just us", and would likely end up using it through another partner. I guess I view my birth control as something that I choose to be on, rather than something we choose for me to be on, or that he asks me to go on.

Archived