why do so many people still think rape is a joke?

bluelava1

People will talk about and joke about anything they want, in the US anyway, because of our first amendment rights. If someone wants to make a career out of making rape jokes he can. If you find that person offensive you have the right to stop listening or leave. You also have the same right to tell the person you think it is in bad taste. But remember that your opinion is not automatically correct. Just because you are offended does not men they are being disgusting or horrible. Maybe if they know your past and continue making jokes they don't have much tact, and you can stop being their friend. But they're not bad or necessarily misguided for choosing to say those things. Everyone has their own limits, no need to impose yours on other people.

When I was in highschool, some of my peers were singing this song. I have no idea what song they were singing, but I still remember one of the lines from the song. It was something like, "I want to be raped, it's the only way I'd ever get laid". It's a horrible line, and it has stuck with me all of these years. Unfortunately, it's another example of rape being taken lightly.

The line is actually, "If it wasn't for date rape, I'd never get laid."

When I was in highschool, some of my peers were singing this song. I have no idea what song they were singing, but I still remember one of the lines from the song. It was something like, "I want to be raped, it's the only way I'd ever get laid". It's a horrible line, and it has stuck with me all of these years. Unfortunately, it's another example of rape being taken lightly.

You are taking that song out of context. The guy in that song ends up going to jail.

• 2 months later...
People will talk about and joke about anything they want, in the US anyway, because of our first amendment rights. If someone wants to make a career out of making rape jokes he can. If you find that person offensive you have the right to stop listening or leave. You also have the same right to tell the person you think it is in bad taste. But remember that your opinion is not automatically correct. Just because you are offended does not men they are being disgusting or horrible. Maybe if they know your past and continue making jokes they don't have much tact, and you can stop being their friend. But they're not bad or necessarily misguided for choosing to say those things. Everyone has their own limits, no need to impose yours on other people.

i wasn't imposing mine on anyone, thank you. and i'm very well aware of the u.s. first amendment. with it i have the right to express my disgust and say what i want. a lot of people really do try to impose they're views on others and it seems like you're one of them . i never said my opinion was correct so please don't put words in my mouth. thank you

Only ignorant people make a mockery of it, and you shouldn't worry about them. They are not worth your time. I used to work at a rape crisis center and I can tell you that some of the women that I would talk to would make me want to break down and cry over the stories that they told me about what had happened to them, but being a guy I tried to keep it together. Rape is very traumatic, and anyone who doesn't take it seriously just doesn't understand how deeply it effects the victims of it.

good for you for doing that.

I think that there is so much political correctness that people have started to rebel against it in their jokes.

ya rebelling against political correctness and making less-than-politically-correct jokes is one thing (for what it's worth family guy is one of my favorite shows but if there's ever a joke made on there that offends me too much personally i can just turn it off. sometimes when you're in personal company tuning out or leaving is not an option). but making jokes that could downright send someone into a ptsd whirlwind is quite another.

People will talk about and joke about anything they want, in the US anyway, because of our first amendment rights.

For your information first amendment rights can be abused! Let's take rape out of the equation, and lets say that something extremely traumatic has personally happened to you. Anyone who would make light of it or joke about it would a jerk. I know this may surprise you but there is such a thing as being decent, having some compassion and showing some respect for another human being. It takes just as much energy to show those qualities as making a joke out of the topic, so why would they want to show something bad when they could just as easily show something good? I think it says something about their lack of character when they automatically take the low road and joke about something that they know has been traumatic to someone else.

because we live and will be living in the near future, in a patriarchal society who acknowledges the use of violence and sexual coercion as part of "being a man", when in fact, real men are not violent or sexual predators; in a society where women's bodies are seen as property (there is even a popular saying - in Brazil if I'm not mistaken - that says "if you have kneeled, you have to pray" - which is very much interpreted in the sexual sense). it's disgusting, believe me. Jokes about rape, domestic abuse and women are really awful.

People will talk about and joke about anything they want, in the US anyway, because of our first amendment rights.

lol I really have to laugh here: you americans think you are so free when in fact, you live in a close-dictatorial society where everything is banned, books are censored, there's secret intelligence who controls every darn thing. you're like kids, really: you think you're free because it's written somewhere, but you're still trapped inside recess, with the school supervisors on the lookout.

lol I really have to laugh here: you americans think you are so free when in fact, you live in a close-dictatorial society where everything is banned, books are censored, there's secret intelligence who controls every darn thing. you're like kids, really: you think you're free because it's written somewhere, but you're still trapped inside recess, with the school supervisors on the lookout.

out of curiosity, where are you from?

• 3 months later...

Archived