Problems With a New Cat

KarateKate

I've had my cat for about nine months, and we're not quite sure how old it is. When I first brought him to the vet, she said he could be anywhere between six months to a year and a half, but he was most likely around nine months.

There are two separate issues that have arisen with him, so any advice one could give would be greatly appreciated.

The first issue involves his ears. They are extremely dirty. He has been an indoor cat since I brought him home, so I'm assuming it's earwax. I've had other cats, and none of them had this problem. Anything I've read has said it's a sign of mites, but he's already been tested for mites, and he shows no other symptoms. I clean his ears almost everyday, but when we go to the vet, she scoops out a bunch of gunk and acts like I'm being neglectful. Has anyone else experienced this?

The second issue is regarding his male anatomy. He is a neutered male cat, but still gets erections on a regular basis. I've had one other neutered male cat, and I never experienced this. At first, it was only during grooming, which didn't really bother me, but about a month ago it started happening more frequently. He will start out kneading a human friend, but then he will start shaking and biting and he will have an erection. Is this typical behavior for a neutered male cat?

Regarding his ears...some cats just have dirty ears. I have rescued, rehabbed and fostered cats for over 10 years and some have perfectly clean ears, others dont. And yes, the brown wax can be mistook for earmites. If in doubt I have them checked, but if it is not earmites, I just have the vet clean their ears out at their annual check up. It's normal dirt build up. I am really afraid of damaging their ears if I try to clean them, so I leave it up to the pros.

Regarding the sexual behavior...I have to admit that this is a first for me. I havent persoanlly ever had a cat exhibit this type of behavior. Getting a boner while grooming is pretty normal. my boys still do that too. But the shaking and biting behavior is what they do to hold a female still so that they can have sex with her. It seems that even though he is neutered, he still has a strong sex drive. I dont have any advice for you on this one. But I would definitely call his vet and ask about it. They may be able to make some suggestions for you based on what others have done. I dont think that there is anything that you can do for this behavior. I could be wrong, though, but from what I've heard, he is just doing what comes natural. Neutering usually wipes out the sex drive, but there are some cats who this doesnt happen to and you have one of the acceptions. Call his vet and see if they can give you some advice.

Archived