imagine..if...we all added each other on fb....

and then we sudenly had all these wonderful additions to our lives and our exes were like * * * my ex is really popular???

and then we could extend that to msn or the like for times of one to one support?

jus a thought...but by all means take me up on it.... FAKEbook addy ahimsa cosmetics-uk and msn wildhorsebabe@hotmail.co.uk

support is there...let them see us grow biger and better ;P heheh xxx

AHIMSA xxx

lol i understand your point. though i think fb is turning into a popularity contest. it makes me laugh when people have over a 1000 friends. it's not like anyone would know each and every one of them. they wouldn't even be able to talk to a quarter of them on a regular basis!

well i have a few of the guys here as FB friends and its nice to chat to them outside of this board, and put faces to usernames. So yeah if you're friendly with someone on here, there's no reason you can't add them. Its only if you're doing it as a popularity competition that makes it kinda sad!!

well i have a few of the guys here as FB friends and its nice to chat to them outside of this board, and put faces to usernames. So yeah if you're friendly with someone on here, there's no reason you can't add them. Its only if you're doing it as a popularity competition that makes it kinda sad!!

i agree with that. i do think a lot of people see fb as a popularity contest. its not possible to know so many people and i've encountered randoms that have added me who i don't know and who never speak to me and vice versa.

One of my exes is a right snob about facebook. He reckons if you have over 100 friends then those people aren't really your friends and you look stupid. Whereas I maintain that I have lots of people from school and theatre groups that I like to keep a lose version of 'in touch' with.

I'm open to having people from here on fb, but only if I were pmed about it - I've written too much about exes to want any of them to be able to search my real name or email address and find it here.

i only have about 145 friends. i've noticed some people also delete people for no apparent reason. i've had a few doing that to me and i've done nothing to them. there was a girl from my school who has over a 1000 friends. that to me is ridiculous. your account must slow down with having that many people in your contacts!

i only have about 145 friends. i've noticed some people also delete people for no apparent reason. i've had a few doing that to me and i've done nothing to them. there was a girl from my school who has over a 1000 friends. that to me is ridiculous. your account must slow down with having that many people in your contacts!

One reason they may delete is that they want to be more discerning about who they have on there. So, they don't want every person they have met to know what they are doing. I can understand that.

When I see somebody on facebook who has an excessive amount of friends (i'm speaking of 250+), I just feel sorry for them actually. They are clearly trying to prove something, and there is less chance that they have very close friends, but rather dozens of acquaintance's.

One reason they may delete is that they want to be more discerning about who they have on there. So, they don't want every person they have met to know what they are doing. I can understand that.

When I see somebody on facebook who has an excessive amount of friends (i'm speaking of 250+), I just feel sorry for them actually. They are clearly trying to prove something, and there is less chance that they have very close friends, but rather dozens of acquaintance's.

it doesn't seem right when they delete me and yet they still have over 400 friends. it's not like they're trying to whittle down the amount of people they have on their account!

i agree with you. 250+ whats the likelihood they know them all on a friend basis? very unlikely! i know someone with over a 1000 friends and from what i gather she talks to about 20/30 of them. it is all about popularity when you have a friend list in those figures. i don't think it should be for that.

Sometimes it depends on the person. One of my ex's has over 400 friends and I would always tease her about this. Sometimes I quiz her and just pick out a random name on her friends list and ask her how she knows him/her and she will tell me who they are and how they met IRL. It always amazes me. But, she's a marketing manager and I guess its her job to know people.

I have about 500 Im not trying to prove anything.....Just when people friend me(People I met at partys, Work, someone I happen to be in a picture with) I see no reason in denying them...I tend to talk to people who just friended me in the recent future, and it might turn into more then just FB friends...if it doesnt I see no problem keeping them as a friend??

you feel sorry for them? i have 600 friends, did you ever ask how i met them all?

maybe because i grew up playing sports and new alot of people

maybe its because i had 2000 people go to my school

maybe ite because i go out every weekend and i meet alot of people

maybe i have alot of family?

im not trying to prove anything....im just a friendly person who likes meeting people

not everyone is there it look cool with alot of friends..

it may not be about popularity for some of the people that have hundreds of friends. but they don't know that many people on a friend level. they're mostly acquantances and randoms they've met when they're out, etc. only a small portion of that list are true friends.

I recently trimmed my FB friends list from 500 to 250.

I guess when Facebook first came out, everyone went mad- adding anyone they remotely know from somewhere. I mean, some of the people we were best buds for a week.

Over the years, you completely lose contact with some of those people, and even though they are on your facebook contacts list, you would never ever actually write to that person.

That was my rule of thumb when trimming my list- if I was never going to actually talk to that person, why have them as a friend?

I guess when Facebook first came out, everyone went mad- adding anyone they remotely know from somewhere. I mean, some of the people we were best buds for a week.

Over the years, you completely lose contact with some of those people, and even though they are on your facebook contacts list, you would never ever actually write to that person.

That was my rule of thumb when trimming my list- if I was never going to actually talk to that person, why have them as a friend?

i agree hurtstudent. i added people from school and haven't even spoke to the majority of them. i've never exceeded 150 friends and thats fine by me. i don't a 1000 friends to make myself feel good and popular.

this is how i view it too

and then we sudenly had all these wonderful additions to our lives and our exes were like * * * my ex is really popular???

support is there...let them see us grow biger and better ;P heheh xxx

AHIMSA xxx

OR! OR!

We could just, you know, keep our facebooks mature and drama-free and not turn them into a cesspit of ridiculousness. This way we will all be more solid people who understand that the proper role of interpersonal communication is not to stick one up to an ex.

Just a thought.

i really don't think this hard about people's friend lists, or my own for that matter. i do periodically go through and clean up my friend list. i know plenty of people who, if a friend request is sent, will just add them. i don't try to figure out what their reasoning is for adding people. It really doesn't matter. The OP's reasoning, however...well i'll just leave that alone. I still don't get why folks are hanging on to ex's facebook pages. I'd be avoiding it like the plague.

I'm not a very social person yet I have over 600 or 700 friends (I think...).

People just add me when they meet me and learn my name.

I've gotten a lot of PM's they say something like "I added you like 2 years ago and I vaguely remember talking to you but I remember that you were pretty cool. Want to get lunch?"

A lot of old high school people friended me on there. I don't see a reason not have them on my page. It's nice to know how others are doing.

I've never related "facebook friends" to actual friends. But, I would probably say "hello" and have a chat with 90% of people on there. It's not just random people I do not know to some degree.

Haha I have this argument from time to time. I do think of it as a popularity contest. I don't know tho this may have to do with age. I'm sure some of us older folk who barley had internet in HS let alone social applications may see it differently.

When I got facebook I added a good deal of people that I talked to or wanted to reconnect with. I had been out of school for a while and knew the people I didn't really care to reconnect with. I think if I had facebook in highschool or college though I would have added tons of people that now I don't really care to add.

Archived