bored with my life

greywolf

I had a full-time job that I quit to become a full-time student. At first I was very happy with this decision, and finally felt like my life was going somewhere. From day one, all the faculty and other staff at this school told me that it was a very intense program, and that I would need to put a lot of effort to do well at their school. I was excited and was prepared put my whole life into this.

Then school started... and it was boring. The teachers drone on during lecture. I don't know what they talk about. I find it hard to pay attention for more than 10 minutes. Then the quiz comes and I usually get an A on it. I somehow passed with the highest score in my Biochemistry class, and I never even took a minute to study or listen to the teacher's lectures. I turn in mediocre research papers and get A's on them. I know I should feel good about this, but I don't. I do just enough to get by. I turn in work I'm not proud of but still get a good score. It frustrates me.

I want to have something in my life that I'm passionate about. I thought going back to school and learning would do that for me, because I love to learn. Now I find myself not even caring.

Today I sat in Pathophysiology class thinking about this while the teacher lectured. I have no idea what she talked about. I really did try to listen at first, but it made me sleepy and I was struggling to stay awake. Yet I know that I'll do well on the quiz next week.

I also haven't been able to find a part time job yet. I really need one because I'm bored out of my mind, and I'm really short on cash. I had to ask my mom for gas money today just so I could get to school. My mom is really sweet and she gives me money when she can, but I always feel bad about asking her for it because she has to do it behind my stepdad's back. My stepdad believes that you shouldn't make things too easy for someone. I do agree with him, but sometimes it makes things difficult for me. Most of my classmates don't have jobs and their parents help them out with money. Sometimes I'm a little envious of that.

I have found a tutoring job recently though. It's for a 7th grade boy. I like it a lot. It's the one thing I actually enjoy right now. Unfortunately, it's only for a couple hours a week and it doesn't pay much.

I don't know... My mom always used to lecture me about coasting through life, and she's right. I'm tired of doing that though. I have nothing to feel passionate about and it's depressing.

I read through this before I posted and I realize that it sounds very arrogant and boastful. But that is really not my intention. It is mostly about my dissatisfaction with myself right now.

It's hard to pay attention to something you are not passionate about. I did the same thing my first two years in college. After I got into classes that concerned my major, I was fascinated and paid rapt attention. Like you, I am smart enough to do very little and get great grades. Education is set up for people like us and that is wrong. The Grad School I attend now has no tests. For every class you have to turn in a portfolio of actual, hands-on, practical applications of what you've done. Every class I have to do a mini-internship and then complete a report on it. I love it! There are no grades given, just a narrative transcript where the teacher evaluates the work done on your portfolio. It sounds easier that a traditional college, but it is actually a lot more work and never, ever, boring! Perhaps you could find a college like this one. I would bet you would enjoy it!

I find nothing arrogant or boastful about it.

Or maybe I can just relate.

Feeling like you're not putting in 100% and expecting to get a low score only to find you pass with flying colours wondering how?

Sometimes simple common sense get you by in papers.

But this does not relate to the issue at hand.

It's what you are passionate about.

What YOU desire to do.

Do you relate your passions to profit?

You have to figure out if its the ease of your classes or the subject matter- that is boring the snot out of you...If your class is too easy you have two options like Thejigisup said, maybe find a new school that puts you to work or you can challenge yourself- by pushing yourself on ure own...give ureself a whole other assignment than what the teacher does. Like add on to the project But in order to challenge yourself you really have to be into the subject matter.

If your bored with the subject matter maybe its time to change it. Better now than when you're set in your career.I was bored as hell all thru college until my senior classes. Thesis is set up where you kind of challenge yourself and that worked for me.

Also i had a job out in VA beach years ago where I had no friends, no life and the job really sucked. ( i'm a designer and the job was far from creative or challenging). Out of sheer boredom I roped my only friend there into starting a t-shirt company just for something to do...You may not have that option because of time, but basically when life gives you lemons, go strawberry hunting.

Good Luck!

Perhaps you could find a college like this one. I would bet you would enjoy it!

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me right now. I'm at this school because I just want to graduate already. I guess I just have to look at it as something to suffer through until I reach my goal (graduation).

Do you relate your passions to profit?

No, not really. I am passionate about learning and gaining new knowledge, but I feel like I haven't learned much at this school. They teach you enough just to pass the tests

You have to figure out if its the ease of your classes or the subject matter- that is boring the snot out of you...

It's not the subject matter. I love learning about science. I think it's just the way they teach at this school. All the teachers just teach off of power point slides. I hate that method of teaching. And it seems that everything they teach is focused on helping us pass the tests. NO subject is covered in depth. I suppose it has to be that way though because it's an accelerated school.

Yeah it sucks hard when the teachers make interesting subjects real dull.

Greywolf, it's common to be bored with life over and over, especially if things aren't challenging for you and you lose interest.

I got through college the same way you did, by doing halfassed work and getting full marks on it. Unfortunately I developed a "whatever" work ethic and had to shake that off after going back to school.

Hopefully you can find a job to occupy time, but it's not the easiest thing to do these days.

I've read something about being in the moment 100%. Like when you are in class try not to drift, concentrate on what the tutor is saying, be present. If it's not challenging enough try and research more on your subjects outside of school, learn further so you can feel more involved and pushed. You will also feel good if you get a part time job.

My best friend has always been very academic, she was the best student at school. She knew that she wanted to be a German teacher since forever. She didn't have to study too much like you. Always As, got to university (here in Greece you enter university according to your grades you don't pay), finshed it, got a great job and is financially secure. Somehow she wasn't feeling proud of herself because it was all "easy" for her. She hadn't struggled and that was somehow taking away from her achievements.That is insane because there's people that don't have your academic brain (me included) and we really admire it. Just because something is easy to you doesn't mean it's any less of an achievement.

It's not the subject matter. I love learning about science. I think it's just the way they teach at this school. All the teachers just teach off of power point slides. I hate that method of teaching. And it seems that everything they teach is focused on helping us pass the tests. NO subject is covered in depth. I suppose it has to be that way though because it's an accelerated school.

Get out of this school. From what I'm reading, you're likely going to regret spending your time and money over there when you could easily learn these subjects yourself or with another better school altogether. If the education is for purposes of landing a career, you ought to consider this if they're not covering the subjects to your satisfaction.

About jobs, I'm in the same boat. I'm a graduate, and it seems incredibly difficult at times to find any job whatsoever. The best thing these days, for me anyway, is to just do something you're passionate about and later release it as a means of generating income when the time is right. Perhaps this could be the same for you too?

Archived