Is "grown apart" a euphemism for emotional infidelity?

If someone says the reason he and his SO broke up is because they grew apart, for example, you mean?

I don't hear it as having anything to do with infidelity. I hear it as meaning that it didn't work out for whatever reason that the person doesn't want to discuss. To me, it's one of those generic phrases that says the person doesn't want to talk about it in detail or give any kind of explanation, and also implies that the break-up was not acrimonious (but still sad - just no big drama).

There are genuine cases where people just do exactly that, become different people than who they married and no longer have anything in common and do not want to be together anymore.

Maybe this is because the people in the relationship don't do enough to keep it fresh as they once did. I think it might have something to do with falling into a routine and not having time to do fun things together that they once both enjoyed.

To me it summarizes that there was a significant lack of communication between both partners and that they didn't make an effort as a couple to stay in tune with every development that the other person underwent.

People change, constantly. Maybe not in huge strides, but things change. For a successful relationship I see it as my primary obligation/ priority/ goal to constantly let my partner be aware what is going on with me and to find out what is on his mind, in order to give each other the opportunity to 'change' with the partner if need be. By this change I mean to adjust your assumptions about yourself and the other person.

It's work in constant progress to be able to know who you are and who your partner is.

Growing apart can have many meanings but I seldom think infidelity is usually an issue.

A couple can be drawn in different directions for many reasons. Believe it or not, in time people do change, sometimes learning new capabilities or desires. You may find similar tastes in music, friends or interests shift ever so slightly until you someday wake up wondering what happened. You may see your mate as unsuitable for you.

I may be healthier than a static existence without change.

Maybe this is because the people in the relationship don't do enough to keep it fresh as they once did. I think it might have something to do with falling into a routine and not having time to do fun things together that they once both enjoyed.

That could be. I think it is more lack of communication and getting stuck in ruts and or non beneficial ways of communication. There are cases though of going through life and working and raising kids and all of a sudden you retire and look at your partner and say "who the heck are you?" cause you genuinely do not know when left with each other with nothing else BUT each other. That has nothing to do with infidelity but lack of keeping up with each other on the busy road of life.

I think it means what the others mentioned. When you just aren't as close as you once where due to things like being unable/unwilling to communicate and compromise with each other, resentment due to certain unsolved issues. It just gets to a point where the relationship is more frustrating then fun.

Or falling out of loving and turning into more friends then lovers.

Archived