Part-time job sugestions for an under 18.

I have a somewhat complicated history. Despite always doing well in coursework and school tests, last year, I was forced to leave school without any formal qualifications. This upset me no end, since I’ve always been an ambitious girl. I’ve already done a lot in my short life - had journalism and editorial work experience, had several articles published, worked on a short film and won numerous writing competitions. I’m also in the process of getting a short story published. Sounds impressive for a 17-year-old? Yet, at the end of all this I have no formal qualifications. Last year, a while before I took my exams, I fell extremely ill with tachycardia and chronic anaemia (which can actually kill you.) I spent hours on end in hospital beds, while doctors scratched their heads searching for a diagnosis.

I have since improved - to the stage where I can now exercise somewhat, take trips out on my own and work for several hours solid. I still haven’t returned to full-time education. But I know I can, and will, once I get the illness properly dealt with and the problems causing it addressed.

In the meantime I would like to get a part-time job. I don’t really care what it is at the moment - I’d rather not work in a supermarket. But I’d be happy being a part-time shop assistant/cafe worker etc. But would anywhere take me on without proper qualifications? I’d be after something that is not too strenuous - since I still am not a generally well person. And something that brings in around £50 a week. I'd also like to have a job as something to focus on, to occupy my mind and keep me busy before I enter back into full-time education.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I’m in the UK.

Its good your feeling better. I had a similar thing a year ago - but not nearly as bad thankfully.

Maybe something in a retail clothing store - not a big one they tend to get busy - but the smaller ones. Maybe a cd store. Or part time office work. Some places may be willing to train you. Cafe's can get VERY busy and you will be on your feet for a lot of the time.

make sure you set up and create a good resume. if you dont have much employment or work experience, outline it with acheivements that you've made and skills you have that will benefit you in that partiular job. Keep in mind that one resume doesn't fit all jobs so you may have to change it around a bit for the position you apply.

You've made some great accomplishments. I tip my hat to you! Just letting you know that most employers seeking to fill entry-level jobs will not care about your success in the field of writing...because it's not their field. My suggestion would be to do what I do now; tailor your resume specifically for a type of position or branch of positions.

But since you already are experienced in writing, you may want to look into working for local publishers, online magazines, etc. Even better, these days, the big thing isn't actual printing but online publishing, so I'd recommend you get into online web design. A friend of mine in France recently just learned how to do WD using Joomla, and is doing okay helping clients set up their websites and so forth. I'm currently learning how to do this too.

The great plus about such a skill is that it makes self-publishing/advertising cheap. You don't have to wait anymore for a newspaper to include your articles; you can just host them yourself and let people visit your site instead... and on your own computer no less! Additionally, some services like DYNDNS also help resolve website addresses for free.

It takes a bit of computer knowhow, but you're smart. I can tell. I once published my first book a long time ago around your age and know for a fact that if you have the pateince to get into writing, you have the patience to get into publishing. Being your own writer/publisher is a win-win combination. And since you've recently been sick, you can get into this without too much trouble either.

Archived