apartment is screwing me over...

I hope this is the proper section to be posting this in...if not, I'm sorry...

Anyways, I've been living at a new apartment complex since September. I've been very happy with it, and have had no problems...until now. While paying for this January's rent (at the end of December 2009), I turned my normal check in for for rent. Now, I only keep enough money in my checking account to cover the checks that I write, so I keep a steady eye on what checks I write. A few weeks later, I get a notice from my bank saying that the account is overdrawn. I check it out, and the apartment somehow debited my account for almost double what the check was for. I ran over to the office to see what happened, and they said I either wrote the check wrong or the bank screwed up. I should also mention that the complex just started using electronic debit, so I no longer get copies of the checks back, nor can I view them online.

I asked if they had a copy of the check still so I could verify that I wrote it properly, and then said they didn't keep the checks. I asked to speak with a manager, who informed that they did indeed have the original check. After digging it out, it turns out I wrote the check properly, and whoever charged my account didn't charge it for the amount I had written...they charged the amount of my apartment number, which I had written in the memo section. I was obviously pretty ticked about this, and asked what they were going to do about it. The manager said she would call the accounting office to see what was possible, but she really seemed like she didn't care. Is there anything else I can do about this situation? I'm no lawyer, but it seems pretty illegal to cash a check for a value other than what is written...

First I would try to get your apartment office to correct the error and cover your overdraft fee.

If that doesn't work file a complaint with your bank for fraud on your account. The apartment complex will have to have proof that you gave them a check for the amount they debited. Since they can't, the bank should side with you and reverse your overdraft fee.

Start with these because it's easier and cheaper. Taking it to court will cost money, take forever, and is a big headache. I think you can probably get it resolved without getting ugly.

First I would try to get your apartment office to correct the error and cover your overdraft fee.

If that doesn't work file a complaint with your bank for fraud on your account. The apartment complex will have to have proof that you gave them a check for the amount they debited. Since they can't, the bank should side with you and reverse your overdraft fee.

Start with these because it's easier and cheaper. Taking it to court will cost money, take forever, and is a big headache. I think you can probably get it resolved without getting ugly.

+1. Go this route ^ first. Taking it to small claims will just be a costly and time consuming headache.

Archived