Does anyone know of any test or straight answer forums wherr I can answer questions independently of an influenced physician and see what anti-depressants will work for me? I have been avidly against them from the beginning as I believe that it's not a brain chemical impablance rather and emotional one.

I am trying to find some straight questions so that I have a few in mind before I let the doctors put me on whatever the lates drug has just popped on the market. I don't trust new meds that haven't been out long enough to have sufficient long-term data.

Thanks.

your emotional problems would likely mimic and produce the same results as a brain problem. this is just a guess, i'm certainly no expert. most people going through a breakup, especially when they didn't want out is going to go through some sort of depression.

maybe try googling antidepressant test?

idk...when my ex and i started having problems i talked to my doctor about my depressed mood and she put me on antidepressants. I didn't have to pay for them, she gave me plenty of samples and tried two different meds. neither did anything for me. for me, it was all emotional, connected to my thoughts. i quit taking them after awhile. but it may be different for you. you will not know unless you try. they could at least possibly help to lessen the amount of turmoil you are experiencing, until you are able to function without them (after healing).

Sorry, are you looking for a depression questionnaire, so you can self-diagnose, or info about meds?

There are tests for depression diagnoses, but no one can tell you which med will work for you. A psychiatrist can make a best guess and prescribe it, but no med works for everyone, and often patients have to try several meds before finding one that really works for them. In addition meds are not a panacea, meaning that they won't switch you from totally hopeless, weeping and sad to happy go-lucky. They sort of smooth moods and take the sad edge off, make it easier for you to rebound from sad emotions instead of spiraling down, allow you to shrug things off a bit more.

A good psychiatrist will not push you towards meds. I have a fantastic one, and when she first met with me we talked for an hour - 45 minutes of me answering her questions and telling her about myself and my moods, etc, and then 15 minutes where she explained what meds were available - different options - what her expectations were about how they would work for me and how much change they would bring, how long they would take to work, what the side effects might be. She also recommended other forms of treatment, stressing that meds work for some people but counseling can help EVERYONE, and other things like meditation/group therapy. Then she asked me what I wanted to do, telling me it was my decision, and I could think it over and call her back as well. She also photocopied all the pages out of her handbook relating to the meds she prescribed for me for me to take home and read. I had follow-up appointments after 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and another one at 10 weeks.

I don't think you'll have a positive experience if you go into a meeting with a psychiatrist being extremely suspicious of his motives and thinking he wants to push meds on you. There is info all over the internet where you can inform yourself about various treatments. I recommend a non-biased site like the Mayo Clinic site or for instance the NYTimes health section, not a site like link removed (fictitious I think!).

You can also see a psychologist for therapy and see if that works for you before trying meds.

Sophie--I have been battling ending a relationship for 4 years--well 3 of them anyway. I have spoken with terapists (two) psychologists and physicians. I tried one for a short term but the side affects were unbearable.

I've never wanted to take the meds, but as shessofly stated, and as has my therapist and doctor--it will lessen the lows and make them bearable. Frankly, I never really believed it because it was my heart that hurts--because the one I love will never love me. It's purely emotional. I have great times when out with friends or doing productive things. Somehow, soon as it stops, I am anxious as can be and dying to talk to the jerk whom I've come to hate. The emotions for this guy have always had more control over me than I'd care for, from day one. It's been ugly and wonderful often at the same times.

Anyway--i've never taken the anti-depressants because the side affects and repucussions are so extreme. Now that I am forcing myself to STOP beating myself up and stop hating so much, I need to decide if I really want to take meds or just give it time. I do take a small dose of Xanax when the anxiety hits.

I was hoping to find something that compared all the different drugs out there.

I'm sorry that you are feeling so down.

As for your question:

I was hoping to find something that compared all the different drugs out there.

These sites might help:

link removed

link removed

On a personal note- I had a good experience with Lexapro in the past. I was on it for about a year. I found the benefits of it to outweigh the costs and it was not hard for me to wean off when the time came.

On the other hand, I would be very cautious about taking something like Effexor XR. The drug itself is very effective but there is a class action lawsuit underway because the withdrawal symptoms are very severe for some people.

So much of the effects of the drugs though are personal and vary from individual to individual. It's really hard to know in advance what will work.

I've been on 4 anti-depressants: 3 SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro), and I SNRI (Cymbalta). The SSRIs did nothing for me, but Cymbalta is working really well so far (been on it for going on 1.5 months).

For most people the side effects and repercussions of taking an anti-depressant are actually not extreme at all. A lot of people have mild GI side effects at first, and a small number have more serious side effects. I personally have had a positive experience.

I would recommend making an appointment with a reputable psychiatrist in your area and talking to him about your concerns. He should be able to give you info about the various drugs, including printed materials, and recommendations. You can read that stuff over at home before deciding what you want to do. You should be prepared to have a few trials and errors before you find one that works for you.

The bottom line for prescribing meds, is, I think, when the symptoms of your illness are preventing you from leading a normal life, or interfering with your ability to do what you need to do and maintain your relationships. Sounds like you qualify. And remember, if it doesn't go well, you can always stop. Anti-psychotic meds are not a curse that if you touch will mark you forever! You can always go off of them if you don't feel right.

I am thinking of starting anti depressants too. For a long time I thought I was strong enough to overcome the pain from a break up by myself. Also believed that meds were not for emotional or circumstantial conditions. My first two break ups were intense to the point of unbearable and I suffered horribly, fell ill, lost weight etc. Now on my third break up, I thought I got through it but due to recent events, am finding the cycle starting all over again. I can't find the strength to go through it once more. The lows are beyond painful and in fact I think that trying to do it without meds makes the process drag out. I cannot afford to lose any more of my life. I need to focus on work, and being older now (late 20s), also cannot afford to put my health at risk any more.

Can anyone recommend something not too strong but will help with bad mood swings and to get through the rough moments? Some days are good, but its the almost obsessive thinking about my ex when I'm alone and how easy it is to drop into a bleak, depressed mood where I cry non stop and drag myself through the hours that really gets me.

On the other hand, I would be very cautious about taking something like Effexor XR. The drug itself is very effective but there is a class action lawsuit underway because the withdrawal symptoms are very severe for some people.

Yeah--my friend was on Paxil and her actions while on it were far worse and the withdrawal nearly killed her. So I am afraid to take anything.

Anti-psychotic meds are not a curse that if you touch will mark you forever! You can always go off of them if you don't feel right.

Which is why I prefer the tried and true ones to the "new" ones that they really aren't sure about yet.

Can anyone recommend something not too strong but will help with bad mood swings and to get through the rough moments? Some days are good, but its the almost obsessive thinking about my ex when I'm alone and how easy it is to drop into a bleak, depressed mood where I cry non stop and drag myself through the hours that really gets me.

I have xanax for the anxiety attacks, but the rest remains. Exactly the same for me. Obsessive thinking, plotting to "fix" it. Fact is--it can't be fixed and acceptance seems to evade me.

I have xanax for the anxiety attacks, but the rest remains. Exactly the same for me. Obsessive thinking, plotting to "fix" it. Fact is--it can't be fixed and acceptance seems to evade me.

keep w/the xanax for anxiety but i wouldn't recommend antidepressants....bad news...especially if this is emotional and not chemical. lexapro was awful for me...the side effects for getting off are terrible, too. i wouldn't start messing around w/that. i thought i needed them, too, but after a couple months, you'll be a lot better...just fight through it.

in UK we were encouraged to 'seek help' about depression...so many did, myself included

then the SS used my past depression to take my baby from me even tho I had only taken them for a short while to get over my ex dumping me pregnant cos i nearly miscarried

so jus REALLY think about it....

i would rather use a high dose St Johns Wort pill

then the SS used my past depression to take my baby from me even tho I had only taken them for a short while to get over my ex dumping me pregnant cos i nearly miscarried

That's SO WRONG! Sheesh, a person tries to get HELP and it comes back to haunt them? I hate the legal system sometimes.

I am still thinking about it, I really really do NOT want to start that regimen, maybe I'll just keep the Xanax going for another month and see what happens....

Thanks everyone. Best to you all...

Archived