I Think This Is Ridiculous But....

I gave my ex fiancee's engagement ring to a jeweller friend of mine who has kindly offered to try and sell it for me. It's been in his shop window for a while now.

I sometimes think, like we all do from time to time, that maybe my ex and I will end up back together again one day, and I might just put that ring back on her finger. Now I'm not actively pursuing her or anything, or even trying to get her back, I really have been trying to move on. I feel it's a case of whatever will be will be, but I sometimes think that if the rings sells, then I'll take it that the universe is telling me it really is over for good. But all the while the ring is just sitting there, its like a sign or ray of light dangling that tiny little carrot in front of me making me think, maybe... just maybe we're meant to be!

Am I totally stupid for thinking this!?

You're not stupid. You have this little thing we hall have: Hope.

I think about things like that. Just yesterday I thought, "if I don't come accross any restaurants in this menu book that remind me of him, then it's good we broke up". Darn that small menu book- because the last page had a restaurant that reminded me of him!

I know it's not the same level as an engagement, but I understand what you're saying. But try not to look or think too much into that ring. You can't possibly know how you'd react when it sells. You might feel disappointment because that is kinda what I felt. I was sad that no matter what I said to myself before reading the pamphlet, in the end he still isn't here. He has moved on.

You can always get another ring if you get back together with her. So it's a good start for you to let it go.

You can always get another ring if you get back together with her. So it's a good start for you to let it go.

That is true. But a little part of me envisages just how amazing it would be giving it to her again, and the look on her face, when all the while she believed it was sold and gone forever!

I love these little challenges we set for ourselves. It makes me laugh at myself when I realise I'm doing it and I just go with it. A good signpost to what I really want.

With regards to the ring.. I would let it go. Just my opinion..if anything was ever to happen with you two again a new ring might be a better option. One not tainted by the pain you both have suffered. I dunno.. I hate false hope, though maybe you both needed this pain for it to work someday in the future.

I think its lovely you still feel so much. An open heart, not hardened by the experience. She's missing out mate. I think she might be realising that ... whatever happens.

I love these little challenges we set for ourselves. It makes me laugh at myself when I realise I'm doing it and I just go with it. A good signpost to what I really want.

With regards to the ring.. I would let it go. Just my opinion..if anything was ever to happen with you two again a new ring might be a better option. One not tainted by the pain you both have suffered. I dunno.. I hate false hope, though maybe you both needed this pain for it to work someday in the future.

I think its lovely you still feel so much. An open heart, not hardened by the experience. She's missing out mate. I think she might be realising that ... whatever happens.

Man, that last bit, made me feel really good. Thank you!

I agree with that.

I get all sorts of thoughts like that but I try and stop myself because I am particularly prone to grandiose illusions.

I actually thought yesterday that he's out of contact because he's gonna surprise me on valentines day, he's gonna get a plane from London and come to Greece...like, what the f***?

Back to life

I actually thought yesterday that he's out of contact because he's gonna surprise me on valentines day, he's gonna get a plane from London and come to Greece...like, what the f***?

Jeez, Quirky.. having read all your posts I'm now thinking maybe my ex is wondering the same thing.

Look what you've done to me... I'm going to have to send a v card now.

er, um .... only kidding.

Gosh! I don't feel any such things in my case. I mean- I don't feel any such hope..no such 'message from the universe' thing. I was a very romantic person earlier. I guess this break-up has changed me and made me a cynic. But I think the selling of that ring has nothing to do with the future of ur relationship with her. If two people love each other, no rings are required.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived