A little booze and the truth comes out...

My girlfriend just called me and told me my ex boss just left the bar where she works, half drunk. I guess he only worked a half day today. I am guessing he got off work and went straight to the bar. Since it's not busy there right now my girlfriend is working the whole place by herself.

She said he talked her head off the whole time he was there. He knew who she was, he met her a couple times when I worked for him.

The more he drank... the more he told her about his decision to fire me. She didn't even press the issue. She said he just started going on and on about it.

From what she told me... He thought I was one of the best people in the department. And, he really didn't want to fire me, he was just "following orders." Upper management told him he had to get rid of someone because there were too many people in his department. In his exact words to her I got the "unluck of the draw." She asked him if it was just a completely random decision. He told her no, not completely random, he took a few things into consideration. Then he proceeded to rattle off to her what those things were.

For one, I had the lowest seniority. That I could understand, if they didn't constantly say that seniority wasn't a factor there. They pride themselves on being a merit based company that doesn't make decisions based on seniority.

He also told her that I 'rubbed" some people the wrong way. He said people thought the way I dressed was weird and that my interests weren't a good representation of the way an employee there should be. She asked him what that meant. He told her that they really like conformity there and anyone who is "different" is a target.

He also mentioned that my lack of interest in "social activities." didn't help either.

She pointed out that I think I was fired because the project I was hired on for ended. He did admit to her that was a contributor.

I was getting to the point of not being upset about losing my job anymore. But this just pisses me off. It says on paper in their records that I got fired for doing bad work... but in reality I got fired for not dressing like everyone else and not participating in company "game day."

He isn't the one who has to explain in job interviews why they were fired. I am.

I guess now I know what they really cared about there. Screw the quality of the work, as long as you dress like everyone else and come to game day you're golden.

Now I am just freaking pissed.

I'm a lawyer. You can actually sue him for several issues. 1) Discussing your firing etc... with someone without your authorization, leading to embarassment etc... 2) Defamation. 3) Misleading you.

You should contact a lawyer, tell him the story, and specifically explain how you feel embarrassed that your boss is running around town telling people about how and why you got fired. Get a good lawyer and you can sue the company for good money.

hi - i am sorry, i really am. while i wasn't fired, i was once not hired because i didn't 'mesh' with those potential coworkers as well, and join in their little clique and hobbies. blah. i think it sucks, when you go and work hard and get your work done but they let you go because you're not 'just like them' and you don't enjoy socializing with them, etc.... i mean, work is work! i understand the value of being a 'team player' but yeah, it does sound like they let you go for frivolous reasons.

are you at least getting unemployment?

Oh my god. I'd be livid! Through the roof freakin pissed. If it were me, I'd compose a very business like letter to your bosses boss and make each of those points that he made why you were fired. Then I'd threaten a civil suit for discrimination since your clothes and afterwork lifestyle was NOT in line with what they think it should be. Bastards.

^ Haha, if you compose a letter to your boss, you can forget about suing him! Just go get yourself a good lawyer and you will make some money off your former boss. Furthermore, don't sue your boss personally (a good lawyer will tell you that). Sue the COMPANY.

Uh, while I am not yet a lawyer and being in law school may cause people to think I am overly-litigious, I would say that if you have proof of the good work you did, any certificates, commendations, etc., perhaps circumstantial evidence of the truth behind it, i.e. you didn't go to game day or dress like them, and your girlfriend is willing to get involved, I would see a lawyer to see what could be done, especially if this completely goes against their policies on paper. It's your reputation on the line here, and you would indeed have to tell others why this happened. I would at least try consulting a lawyer to see the possibilities. You don't have to pay costs if your lawyer doesn't win, either.

uh, while i am not yet a lawyer and being in law school may cause people to think i am overly-litigious, i would say that if you have proof of the good work you did, any certificates, commendations, etc., perhaps circumstantial evidence of the truth behind it, i.e. You didn't go to game day or dress like them, and your girlfriend is willing to get involved, i would see a lawyer to see what could be done, especially if this completely goes against their policies on paper. It's your reputation on the line here, and you would indeed have to tell others why this happened. I would at least try consulting a lawyer to see the possibilities. You don't have to pay costs if your lawyer doesn't win, either.

yes! Yes! Yes!!

hi - i am sorry, i really am. while i wasn't fired, i was once not hired because i didn't 'mesh' with those potential coworkers as well, and join in their little clique and hobbies. blah. i think it sucks, when you go and work hard and get your work done but they let you go because you're not 'just like them' and you don't enjoy socializing with them, etc.... i mean, work is work! i understand the value of being a 'team player' but yeah, it does sound like they let you go for frivolous reasons.

are you at least getting unemployment?

I filed for unemployment, haven't gotten a check yet.

It just occurred to me... it's actually pretty funny that my boss took the afternoon off to go drink at a bar.

If all they wanted was a brown noser, be glad you're out of there. I'm sure you'll find something where you're efforts are a bit more appreciated.

I agree with you on this. I am glad I got out of there. They clearly don't want people who work hard, they want carbon copies.

But, I am still pissed off that I worked hard for them for two years, and this is my reward. And I also think it was awful of them to put me on probation for supposedly doing bad work, when they were just trying to make a legitimate case for themselves on paper. Even if I wanted to sue them, I would have nothing to my advantage in court. They set it up that way.

If you want your employees to dress a certain way, enforce a dress code. If you want your employees to come to these social things that are so important, make them mandatory... It's not rocket science.

I wouldn't make a decision about what you have and don't have for court without seeing a lawyer. To you it may seem that their setting you up precludes a court case, but maybe since you have two years of similar work, which was deemed more than adequate, under your belt it might show a strange deviation from the norm and coupled with everything else it might be enough to go to court. It's your choice, but I wouldn't go without at least a tiny bit of a fight for something like this.

I wouldn't make a decision about what you have and don't have for court without seeing a lawyer. To you it may seem that their setting you up precludes a court case, but maybe since you have two years of similar work, which was deemed more than adequate, under your belt it might show a strange deviation from the norm and coupled with everything else it might be enough to go to court. It's your choice, but I wouldn't go without at least a tiny bit of a fight for something like this.

Exactly, they may offer you a nice severance bonus to keep you quiet! Who knows!!

I agree with you on this. I am glad I got out of there. They clearly don't want people who work hard, they want carbon copies.

But, I am still pissed off that I worked hard for them for two years, and this is my reward. And I also think it was awful of them to put me on probation for supposedly doing bad work, when they were just trying to make a legitimate case for themselves on paper. Even if I wanted to sue them, I would have nothing to my advantage in court. They set it up that way.

If you want your employees to dress a certain way, enforce a dress code. If you want your employees to come to these social things that are so important, make them mandatory... It's not rocket science.

That place sounds like a crap hole and a bad fit for you. There's better stuff out there. You'll find it.

and my issue with some of these 'social events' is that they have an impact on how you are viewed professionally! if you have too many drinks and go and do or say something stupid, you can get in trouble. (i have been!!!) i know other people who have also gotten into trouble for the most HARMLESS stuff! For example, there was someone interviewing with us and another department, and she asked a friend, 'what are the differences between the two departments' and my friend answered honestly. well, my friend got called in for a 'talking to' because she answered the question!!! i mean, that is just ridiculous. from now on, i stay away from those events, or only show up for a short amount of time.

Uh, while I am not yet a lawyer and being in law school may cause people to think I am overly-litigious, I would say that if you have proof of the good work you did, any certificates, commendations, etc., perhaps circumstantial evidence of the truth behind it, i.e. you didn't go to game day or dress like them, and your girlfriend is willing to get involved, I would see a lawyer to see what could be done, especially if this completely goes against their policies on paper. It's your reputation on the line here, and you would indeed have to tell others why this happened. I would at least try consulting a lawyer to see the possibilities. You don't have to pay costs if your lawyer doesn't win, either.

Well, I know that in California things like this don't matter. Well, they matter only in whether or not you get unemployment. California law says that an employer can terminate you at any time and for any reason (assuming you don't have a contract). Similarly, you can quit at any time and for any reason.

Well, I know that in California things like this don't matter. Well, they matter only in whether or not you get unemployment. California law says that an employer can terminate you at any time and for any reason (assuming you don't have a contract). Similarly, you can quit at any time and for any reason.

Sure. They can do so at any time, which makes me wonder why they would go through the trouble of fabricating a story about how it was due to bad work rather than just saying, "Hey, we're thankful for your work so far, but we no longer require your services," even if it were simply because he dresses "weird." They wouldn't have had to say more. This led me to consider the possibility that he indeed had a contract, so that they had to go through more trouble than necessary. I probably should have said that.

and my issue with some of these 'social events' is that they have an impact on how you are viewed professionally! if you have too many drinks and go and do or say something stupid, you can get in trouble. (i have been!!!) i know other people who have also gotten into trouble for the most HARMLESS stuff! For example, there was someone interviewing with us and another department, and she asked a friend, 'what are the differences between the two departments' and my friend answered honestly. well, my friend got called in for a 'talking to' because she answered the question!!! i mean, that is just ridiculous. from now on, i stay away from those events, or only show up for a short amount of time.

Stuff like this happened there too. Whenever we finished a project the company would always pay for a night of drinking for the whole department. At the few of those I went to, I always watched how much I drank. They expected everyone to act professional and behave like we do at work. That's hard to do when alcohol is involved. There were people that got called in management offices on Monday mornings after these parties for having too much fun.

The first time I went to an end-of-project party I brought my girlfriend with me. She knew her drinks wouldn't be paid for by the company. She came as my guest, and there was never any indication we couldn't bring someone with us. An hour after we got there my boss came over and told her this was an employees only event and that she would have to leave. That made no sense... this "party" was held at a bar that is open to the public. The bar wasn't reserved for us or anything. She asked if she could at least finish her drink that she just bought. He told her that was fine, but then she would have to go. When she was done we both left. And then I guess someone else showed up after we left with his wife and they made her leave too.

they sent your gf home?!?!?!? that is horrifying!!! At least for most of my work parties, husbands/wives/partners/bfs/gfs are allowed! I mean, as you said, it is a public bar, and it's an after hours event. What if your gf walked into the bar, not knowing you were there? Would they still send her home? sheesh. or maybe make her sit in a corner by herself? That is just stupid. Well, you are better off without them. they sound so so strange.

^ I left with her. I wasn't going to stay there while she went home. And when she asked if she could finish her drink first my boss even told her to "make it quick." This is the same guy who was at her work earlier today unloading on her for two hours.

I still wonder why he took the afternoon off to sit alone and drink in a bar. Kind of depressing.

^ No, she holds her liquor really well.

He is messed up. He gave some guy I worked with a verbal warning once for walking out to take a smoke break with his cigarettes in his hand where everyone could see them. He said it was unprofessional and from now on this guy had to keep them in his pocket or get written up.

I could tell so many stories like this though... At least now I don't have to deal with him.

I am supposed to be getting together with a bunch of ex co workers tonight. I don't even want to go.

Even if you don't have enough to take them to court for your being fired, you would probably have something against him sitting there disclosing all of this information to anyone. For all he knows, you guys could have split up or something. So even if they weren't the "real" reasons why you were fired, the fact that he was sitting there spitting them out should hold for something in court. If he's telling her, knowing that it'll most likely get back to you, then obviously he wouldn't be afraid to tell a complete stranger that could be a potential employer.

And you're right, I'm sure HIS boss would love to see that he took the afternoon off to sit in a bar...check and see if her bar has camera's so you could prove the amount of time he was there.

Good luck though dude, this whole situation sucks.

Sure. They can do so at any time, which makes me wonder why they would go through the trouble of fabricating a story about how it was due to bad work rather than just saying, "Hey, we're thankful for your work so far, but we no longer require your services," even if it were simply because he dresses "weird." They wouldn't have had to say more. This led me to consider the possibility that he indeed had a contract, so that they had to go through more trouble than necessary. I probably should have said that.

Often times the true owner of the business (the one who owns all the capital equipment, land, profits, etc) is not the one who actually manages it; he'll hire "managers" under him to do that while he focuses on other things in departments like HR and such. Those same managers, not wanting to appear incompetent towards their client, will often fabricate reasons for department mistakes and falsely blame other employees for their decisions. And they'll put that on record, confident that the real boss won't investigate things for himself beyond it.

So yeah, not everyone in a business is honest. Victims of dishonesty include the business owners and other employees as well.

Archived