Putting my dog to sleep

annie miller

Hi,

Can't believe I'm am seeking help from someone I don't know but I am sitting here needing it and whoever I am talking to, thankyou for listening.My dog Lucy is 19 years old.She is almost blind and almost deaf.In 19 years she has only been to the Vet once.That was when she got hit by a car.Thought she would be ok off the lead but dashed accross the road in a little country town and got hit.This coming Tuesday I am taking Lucy to the Vet to Die.She has cancer and it is eating up her body.She is still managing to eat but picking up her poo is hard as it is full of blood.I watched her this morning and she walked in circles around the pond 10 times,totally disorientated and lost because of her poor sight.She bumps into walls and furniture and her back legs are now starting to fail.I haven't told my sons that this is going to happen on tuesday.Harvey is now 21 and Lucy came when he was 2 years old.My mum came to live with us late 2007 and all of 2008.She was high care nursing and I did it up to the day she died,the day after Xmas Day.I simply can't do it any more and Dear Old Lucy must go.It is such a hard journey.Just wish I had the best partner in the whole wide world to help me thru it.Thankyou for listening.I do appreciate it and for me just being able to write all of the above gives me solace.Thanks again

Oh, I am so sorry. What kind of dog is she. 19 years is quite old. I had to put my last dog down at 11 years because of the mass in his abdomen. He had stopped eating. the few days before the appointment were very difficult. I cried a lot. I bought a green stamp pad and a wooden heart-shaped plaque and made my dog's paw print on the plaque to keep as a remembrance of my dog. It is a difficult time for you...losing your mom and now the dog all in one year is tough. My heart goes out to you.

Hi

there will be SO MANY people on here with tears in their eyes reading this.

May I tell you about my cat Moppet? She was such a character, we rescued her and her sister Sophie when they were tiny, and she was one of those animals which had such personality it made you laugh out loud. She was loving, a comedian, and very dear to us all.

Last year we got in from the shops and Moppet was fighting to breathe. After a night in ER we got her to our own vet, and they said it was heart failure. Luckily they were very sympathetic when I said Moppet would HATE to be on drugs (she hated pills and anyway, she seemed far too ill to be brought back, they couldn't stabilise her).

Although I knew she would die anyway, I took the decision to have her put to sleep. I've never owned pets before but I'd always said that when the time came I hoped I would be a good enough owner to do that final service for my pet.

Moppie was 13. She'd seen my kids through their grief at my Dad's death, our divorce, major life changes... the daughter who owned her (they had one each) had had several surgeries and Moppet had been there for her throughout. She used to sleep on me every night and jealously fought off her sister for the privilege!

Anyway. By this time the other daughter was living abroad. I took the decision in the Vet's office and asked for time to fetch Moppet's owner from work. She hadn't responded properly to us for hours, but even so I phoned my daughter in Italy and put her on the line. Moppet responded to her voice, looked at the phone, tried to sit up...

It was heart-rending.

Personally, I wouldn't 'protect' your kids from the chance to say goodbye. My daughter couldn t bear to stay in the room with her but I held her gently, dreading it but wanting to be there for her. I was so so sad, I'm crying now and it was a year and a half ago!

BUT! They warned me what to expect - the body can release waste, etc... They said Moppet might take longer to die than normal as her heart was so weak. They warned me she might moan but that this would be involuntary.

You know, I was SO glad I stayed. In fact she gave a slight angry hiss (her last words! This from a cat who once embarrassingly clearly told a vet to "F*** off!") and then - she died as they gave the injection. Probably she would have died anyway, but this way she had her dignity. I had done that last loving service for her.

The vets were great. They made me tea and gave me tissues. I was distraught but you know, when you have loved as we love our pets, it is perfectly appropriate.

I am sad for you right now but I am happy that you have such great memories of Lucy. Let her other owners have that goodbye too.

Hugs. x

I think you are doing the right thing to take her in and put her out of her pain.

My dog got pancreatic cancer, and i took him in on the day he started wandering in circles like that. He was obviously disoriented and they can't tell us how much pain they are in, so we have to make the decision that falls on the side of mercy and kindess for them. Dogs when blind are well able to function and find their way via smell, but if she is walking in circles, that is a clear sign the vet told me that she is in pain.

I would take her in the earliest you can do to prevent her more suffering. And don't feel guilty about it because she lived a good long life, a VERY long life far longer than most dogs.

And of course you are exhausted and worn out, and don't feel guilty about having needs yourself. I'm sure you loved Lucy, and the kindest thing you can do for her is prevent her the terrible pain that comes at the end of cancer, so if she is showing any signs of pain like circling, it is time to take her in.

Hello Annie

Your post caught my attention because it was one week ago I went through this with my lovely dog. She was in distress with stomach pain, and couldn't get relief from treatment at the overnight emergency centre, couldn't get comfortable, didn't respond to me when I came to pick her up to take her to our normal vet, and from x-ray was thought to have a tumor. I couldn't have taken her home like that, even if further testing was recommended. Looking back, I thought she'd been bothered by it on and off for some time without me realizing it was anything serious. I knew I just wanted it to be over then and there. It was distressing seeing her like that. The vet said she'd gone into depression. And it was distressing seeing the life go out of her so fast. It was traumatic, and I wasn't expecting to break down sobbing on the way home and through the day, and then to feel myself starting to go into depression myself over the next few days. I thought she was going to be my lifelong companion, and suddenly she was no longer around. But even so, I was glad I had stayed with her to the end, rather than say goodbye and let her walk off with the vet to another room by herself. She was an adorable dog, so gentle and loving.

Maybe it seems heartless, but believe me, it wasn't, but I began searching for another dog. I wanted one which looked like her, and had a similar temperament. As it turned out, I came home 3 days ago with a dog with some similarity, it could have been her little sister, but different. For the first couple of days I was a bit worried that I woudnt love her as much as my old dog, as I couldn't help comparing them, which I know wasn't fair on the new one. But very quickly her own great characteristics became evident, and I'm so glad and thankful I ended up with her (from a shelter). Its also comforting that she has some of the same mannerisms of the other dog. Maybe all dogs do!

Well, you've had your dog for a lot longer than I had mine, so I know it'll be even harder for you. It might be best to do it sooner rather than later, especially if she might be suffering.

The pain we feel on saying goodbye is equal to the joy they've given us through life.

I hope you'll find comfort in memories, and in knowing you shared so much with your dear old dog.

All the best

Offplanet

I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking - Lucy sounds like she was and is still a wonderful pet and great friend to you. 19 years, that is amazing!

I think you should tell your sons before Tuesday, so that they can choose to go with you to the appointment. I'm sure their support will also be very helpful for you. You'll be stronger as a family than alone.

I'm so sorry. Be extremely thankful for the 19 years you had with your sweet dog! You and she are very lucky that you were allowed that time together!!!

There really are no words. There's no magic pill. The pain is something you'll have to carry for awhile.

But in the end, you're ARE doing the right thing. Lucy knows it too! They do! They know when their time is better than we.

She loves you! And if she could talk she'd say don't worry, try not to be sad, and thanks for loving me...and i' WILL see you again someday for sure!!!

My thoughts are with you.

I am sorry that you are going through this.

I recently had to put down my 15 year old cat, who also had cancer. It was absolutely heartbreaking. It was definitely time, but it still hurts nevertheless. I miss her terribly, and a month later, I am still crying at least every other day over her loss.

You can take comfort in knowing that your dog lived to be 19 - wow! -- and that she had a long, happy life, was well-loved by you and loved you very well in return.

What a gift it is to have had the love of a pet. It is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

Archived