Just knowing...how powerful could our minds really be???

I remember talking to my girlfriends best friend 2 years ago. she had just recently had her first baby and i asked her how she found out she was pregnant. she told me she didn't take a test of any kind. she said she, "just knew" somehow. since her boyfriend wanted to know 100% she took a test and sure enough, she was pregnant, just as she "knew".

i know another girl that recently beat mild breast cancer a year ago. i asked her if she felt lumps or whatever and she said no, again, she said she "just knew" something was wrong and after having tests her suspicions were confirmed...she in fact had breast cancer.

ok...now to my question. I am 21 years old, very active and athletic. yet i just have a feeling i have a heart problem. i can't tell you know it is, or how severe it is, or what...but i'm so convinced i have a heart problem that i sometimes get so scared i just lay in bed and not move. the only "symptoms" i have include a slightly heavy chest, a dull ache near my heart, shortness of breath on occasion, lack of energy, fatigue, and as i said, just an overall feeling that i have a major heart problem that is going to eventually kill me. i also get a feeling i can taste blood in the back of my throat from time to time, but of all the "symptoms", i think this one may be completely in my head.

I have a doctors appointment on wednesday to get it checked out and i'm going to request any scan or heart test available. i have read however that even having all heart tests a problem may be missed. i now have an anxiety that my tests will come up 100% clean saying i have a very healthy heart then suddenly i have a heart attack or something. i dont know where this anxiety came from and i'm scaring me to death. i have only told 1 other person in this world about it, and now all of you on this site. my parents don't even know about it...they think i'm going to the doctor for a "check up".

so i guess im asking...can heart exams fail and not indicate a problem even if there is one? secondly, has anyone else had just "a feeling" somethings wrong and it was true? third, my grandpa had diabetes and a heart problem i believe...my father has high blood pressure in his older years...what are the chances i could have a major heart problem at 21?

i have also weighed the possibility that maybe im diabetic or something...because my family does have a history of it.

sorry this is so long...but as i said...i'm so nervous and scared about all this that i just want to tell someone and get some feedback...thank you so much for reading!

What you could do is to start keeping a journal of your symptoms. Whenever you feel like something is wrong write the date and time and exactly what is going on with you. Also write how long the symptoms lasted. Then when you see a doctor you will have a record for them to use to figure out how to test you.

Heart problems for someone your age who is active and athletic are practically unheard of.

Not to downplay your concern, but to me you sound overly anxious. Many people have phobias concerning heart related problems. The claims of the people you've mentioned who "knew" what was going on may just be adding fuel to the fire.

Cardiac imaging, if I'm not mistaken, can pick up just about everything. It's an expensive process though, and I doubt a doctor will suggest you get one if other tests come back fine.

I am going to have to agree with your post to some extent. I do believe that sometimes we just know when something is wrong. On a personal note I found this weird lump in my breast this year and thought something was wrong.

It turned out to be a tumor. Given that I can barely fit into a bra (for lack of breasts) I found this to be very surprising.

You should get yourself checked if you think that something is wrong. As far as your age goes...that doesn't always matter. As in my case...I had breasts problems and I'm flat chested and very young.

Sometimes, it can be hard to separate intuition from paranoia.

Definitely go to a doctor if you're concerned. But also remember that the more you expect to have a certain symptom or illness show up, the more your mind will find ways to give you what you're looking for. I bet if you thought long enough about having a headache, you'd get one -- but it'd be entirely psychosomatic; no real physical cause.

Change your thought patterns from "I have a serious heart condition that's going to kill me" to "My heart is strong, healthy, and perfect."

The mind really is powerful, yes. Not just as a psychic or intuitive tool, but also as the creator of our reality. For example, there are scientifically documented cases of people getting ill and dying after having a "voodoo curse" placed on them -- not because the curse made them sick, but because they were so convinced they were going to die that their bodies actually shut down.

I'd say your biggest concern isn't having a heart problem, but creating one for yourself by worrying so much!

That said, go to the doctor and let us know if you have a clean bill of health.

Sometimes, it can be hard to separate intuition from paranoia.

Exactly.

Its one of those things that if you look for symptoms, you will find them.

Its like me beleiving I was pregnant a few years ago.

I had every symptom, including morning sickness.

The mind is a powerful thing, and sometimes if you believe it, or think your body has something wrong, your body may start behaving that way. If you start looking for the symptoms you may just find what you're looking for..whether there's a problem there or not.

Archived