Just broke up with girlfriend

ScottClark

I'm 19 years old and just had my first break-up with a girl. We're in college and have been together for about about a year. We've been drifting apart for the past few months but we do have a special bond and I thought we should try to remain friends. We had the discussion at a coffee shop and I tried to be as gentle and as diplomatic as possible but it did not go well. She became very upset and emotional. I tried to calm her down, but was unsuccessful. She walked away in tears, then came back, slapped my face and walked away again. Does it sound like I did something terribly wrong or is this a fairly normal female reaction?

fairly normal? I doubt that highly. Im geussing she cared about you alot and maybe when you were talking to her you hit a specific chord that may have angered her more than saddened her. If you have been together for around a year, she probably got very invested in the relationship, and she may not have seen a problem with it. When you told her you wanted to break up, she might have felt betrayed.

I would have been upset to have been broken up with in a coffee shop after a year... I would have been somewhat invested, and I think I would like to be in a place where we could both say what is on our mind without other people listening. But, breaking up is breaking up. If its only one person wanting it, its never going to be smooth wherever and however you do it.

Break ups are part of life, part of growing up. Some people deal with it different to others, some can move on straight away, some hurt themselves or other people. This was just her natural reaction, do not blame yourself.

Remember what you did is right for YOU, its your life, no-one elses. Crack on with your own life.

No you didn't do anything wrong. But remember, breakups are really hard and even when you're nice about it, they still really hurt. I probably would have done it someplace else so you both can have your privacy. And I agree that the slapping was unnecessary.

5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – ...
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – Spotting A True Friend

Archived