losing ability to stay positive about my mystery medical problem

pinkrobot
WHAT IS POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION | MY ...
WHAT IS POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION | MY STORY

Ugh...I don't know if this is more of a vent or if I'm looking for words of encouragement or what. It's probably a little of both.

So, for a little over a year and a half I've had a problem--kind of personal, so I won't give details--but after seeing 3 different doctors now, getting tests for everything under the sun, and being treated for a zillion different things, I'm still not able to find out what's wrong with me.

I've tried everything--prescribed antibiotics, natural approaches, diet and lifestyle changes, everything. And no matter what I do, all I can forsee is that I'll be stuck with my condition forever with no idea what it is or how to get rid of it.

It's making me miserable. It's all I can think about for 90% of the day, every day.

What do you do, when you're in a situation like this? Obviously I can't give up, but it's draining me physically and emotionally (and financially) to keep dealing with it, knowing that after almost 2 years there hasn't been any progress in "curing" me. Honestly, how do you keep a positive attitude when there's nothing to be positive about???

I have a medical condition that took years to properly diagnose, then I had a dangerous surgery to correct it which was only partially successful, and now I take expensive medicine probably for the rest of my life to control it. I understand your feelings.

I urge you to continue seeking a proper diagnosis, nobody will look out for your body the way you will.

Is it dehabilitating or just annoying?

hmmm...Why don't you give us some details? There are some knowledgeable people around here.

Like I said, it's pretty personal...it's not so much that I'm looking for advice on what it could be, but rather how to deal with not being able to stay positive while I'm living this way.

Waveseer, it's not "dehabilitating," so to speak...but it does keep me from doing a lot of the things I used to really enjoy doing. And it's uncomfortable off and on...probably about 20% of the time it's so uncomfortable I just want to curl up in a ball and do nothing until it passes.

Have your doctors been all men or all women, all young or all older? Sometimes changing the doctor that way can bring a different perspective. I was finally diagnosed by an old general practitioner the year before he retired. I will always be grateful I got there in time.

I am really hearing that you're frustrated by this mysterious illness that no one can pinpoint and nothing is helping.

It must be hard to deal with pain and discomfort on a regular basis when nothing seems to help...

I see that you have tried health alternatives and diet and exercise. Have you done any counselling by any chance? Sometimes our bodies manifiest what is going on in our heads...

I feel for you in your struggle...

Have you done any counselling by any chance? Sometimes our bodies manifiest what is going on in our heads...

I wish I could try counselling, but right now my finances won't allow for it...

There are online support groups for people with undiagnosed medical conditions. It might help to join one of those.

Thanks, I just did a google search on it and found some sites I might join.

Exercise and diet are the best way to improve mood. It may take a while, but over time it will work. It's a lifestyle, something you don't ever stop doing. If you keep it up, you will notice an improvement. It may take some time, but it will happen. Don't give up.

jul-els's point is good. Also, if you worry too much about your medical condition, you will miss out on living life. Since your condition does not pose imminent threat, maybe you should just set aside a few hours each week to find ways to deal with it, and just live the rest of your week not thinking about it.

Exercise and diet are the best way to improve mood. It may take a while, but over time it will work. It's a lifestyle, something you don't ever stop doing. If you keep it up, you will notice an improvement. It may take some time, but it will happen. Don't give up.

I already exercise several times a week and watch my diet pretty carefully...have been now for the past, oh, half a year or so? It hasn't done anything to improve my condition, or my mood.

It could be anything, when you say natural, what kind of natural approach did you take? Did you happen to see an acupuncturist? They can diagnose quite a bit and it could be something very simple.

No, I haven't tried acupuncture yet (always wanted to though, for various reasons). My natural approaches consisted of major diet & lifestyle changes, billions of different combinations of vitamins and supplements, various herbs and herbal treatments, etc. Is acupuncture expensive, though? I have insurance, but acupuncture isn't covered...

I already exercise several times a week and watch my diet pretty carefully...have been now for the past, oh, half a year or so? It hasn't done anything to improve my condition, or my mood.

It will happen, just stick with it. Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. It may take a year. It may take two. It may take five. Whatever it takes, it will happen. Consistency will get you there. Are you drinking plenty of water? That's very important. Be sure to have a water filter at home so you always have plenty on hand and just drink it at all times.

What imprecision said about stress is also really important. Worrying about the condition will give it power. Not dwelling on it is difficult but can go a long way in helping you to feel better. Maybe meditation could help or some type of therapy to strengthen the mind/body connection such as yoga, tai chi, martial arts, etc. Whatever form of exercise you choose, be sure to do it daily.

I don't know how much acupuncture costs, but there are some forms of acupressure that you can administer yourself relative to the condition/symptoms.

Archived