i need help

PurpleDinosaur

today i went to see my guidance counselor about my depression/suicidal feelings. I just cant talk about this with my parents, it's complicated. So, anyway, i go there and she acted like it was some kind of joke. It was just ridiculous, and then after less than three minutes SHE CALLS MY MOM even after i asked her not to. I mean, i can understand if we talked it out or something but no.. i walk in and she tells my parents. And she couldent have taken the situation any ligheter, the first think she says to my mom when she walks in is "so Michael and i have been talking and he says hes pregnant ha ha ha just kidding...". Hahah isn't that funny? doesn't the fact that i want to kill myself make you want to laugh? ugh so yea she tells my mom who of course blames herself, and now i feel terrible... All i wanted was to be normal like everybody else, i though it would be as simple as talking to the guidance counselor, and then we could work something out but... idk, what should i do?

Does your school have a "school psychologist"? If so, that would be the better person to talk to. Guidance Counselor's have very little training in mental health. They have teacher certification and a school counseling credential but they are not "counselors" in the mental health sense. It sounds like your guidance counselor has no clue about proper protocol for a situation like the one you presented her with. There is a responsibility to inform a parent or guardian if a minor has suicidal ideation, but she shouldn't be making jokes about it. That was totally inappropriate and unprofessional of her.

Well, I'm glad that you are your mom are communicating about it now. Don't lock your mom out of your feelings- it sounds like she wants to be there for you.

i hope things are starting to work out for you and you are able to access the proper type of help.

thats a horrible experience to go through.

working up the courage to ask for help was brave i hope there is a proper outcome to your bravery.

i had never considered the different types of counsellors in school as in that some may be there for educational guidence others for lifes non educational matters.

if i am responding to threads where i advise people to ask the school counsellor for advice i will have to remember there are different types of counsellors.

maybe your mother should contact the school counsellor and ask them to clarify the situation to prevent harm to future students who will find themselves in the same situation. there needs to be no mention of you in the matter.just a request that the school clarifys the roles. if your mother contacts the school how do you think it will be responded to? if in a bad manner then forget that bit.

thank you for your thread i like learning new things,i hope you have found good help.

Archived